How do you shoot well with a sub compact grip?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    So, today I had a bit of free time (laugh) and I decided to get some range time in. I warmed up just plinking with my 22 handgun. Its a really old gun that happened to be my first hand gun and is a target pistol. After I warmed up I decided to run a few 10 shot groups though my main carry. Man, was I disappointed. My main carry is an XD40SC and I do not use the grip extensions. I have tried pierce but found it to print to much. So I stick to the sub compact magazine(not clip).

My problem is this...I suck with a subcompact grip. I started off with my subcompact magazines and was so disappointed I switched to a full size mag with grip extension and did much better. I then switched back to the smaller mag and sucked again.

My groups were as follows.

22LR.
    10 of 10 head

XD40SC with service size mag
    6 of 10 head
    9 of 10 Center of mass

XD40SC with SC magazine
    2 of 10 Head
    3 of 10 Head
    7 of 10 Center of mass
    5 of 10 Center of mass.

So is there some secret to gripping a sub compact that I don't know of? I really want to be proficient with my carry gun and even though I have not been to the range in 3 months. This is highly unacceptable.

Any advice is appreciated and positive informative posts will be repped!

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    I was having the same problem with my G27. Went to u-tube/ hickok45 videos. He covers a lot of stuff(about 200 videos). Gripping and shooting sub- compacts are covered in a couple of his videos. In one he is hitting steel at 250 yards with a G27! :D

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Though I carry a M&P40c I found that the compact without the pinky extension was too small for my larger hands. With the extension I shoot decent (I'm sure there are many who shoot better), but I learned a lesson the other day and it really helped pull my group size down. I'm new to revolvers and a buddy was teaching me a little about the differences between shooting an auto and a wheel gun. One thing he said was (and I'm not sure if this a general practice with auto's) was to really strengthen the grip of your left hand. By focusing on a strong grip with the left hand, it allows the brain to not focus so much on the actual pulling of the trigger. I found that I had been trying to hold the gun steady and pull the trigger with the right hand and only using the left for a little bit of support. What that did was make me a little shaky and I had a difficult time keeping good groups after the 2nd or 3rd shot. By focusing on the front sight, sight picture in general, and concentrating on holding a very (but not overly) firm grip with my left hand, I was able to cut my group size in half at 8yds+. I'm sure I don't have the perfect techniques as I was virtually self taught and most more experienced shooters can probably tell you better than I. Either way, I'm not sure if this is something that will help or not, just though it might. Good luck.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    My favorite guns are Detnoics Combat Masters made in the mid-70's to the mid-80's. They have shorter grips than an Officer's Model grip. For me the best way to shoot them effectively is to curl my little finger under the floorplate of the magazine.

2-2.jpg

These may not be 1 hole groups but at 10 yards offhand with a very small 45acp this shooting is not too bad.

3-2.jpg

Last edited:

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I grip as high as I possibly can. You will eventually get used to the little finger hanging in space. I also load ammo specifically for that firearm. I take a little off to reduce the recoil slightly. Lets face it it is not a 50 yard firearm. Most shots taken with it are likely to be in the 10-15 yard range. I am willing to sacrifice a little zip for accuracy.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I grip as high as I possibly can. You will eventually get used to the little finger hanging in space. I also load ammo specifically for that firearm. I take a little off to reduce the recoil slightly. Lets face it it is not a 50 yard firearm. Most shots taken with it are likely to be in the 10-15 yard range. I am willing to sacrifice a little zip for accuracy.
    I don't download for a compact pistol, I use full power loads. The reality is that with the short barrel guns you already are losing velocity. To download it and intentionally reduce velocity is going to also reduce effectiveness of the round. Now if that is only for practice then I suppose that is fine, but I prefer full power loads for all guns at all times. Get used to it by practicing with it.

But I do totally agree with you that these are generally short range guns that are designed for up close and personal defense not for long range sniping.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You've got to realize that if you can get serviceable accuracy from your compact or sub-compact platform... Then that's A-OK.

They're not meant to be "one-hole" guns, they're concealable defensive firearms. Even if they're comfortable enough to shoot all-day long (and not many compacts or sub-compacts are...).

Just one of the trade-offs to be had with a smaller firearm.

That said, I do "OK" with smaller pistols, but not nearly as well as with their larger brethren.

-J-

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I shot a box of 50 180gr. HSTs through my G27 a couple weeks ago, and even with the Pearce pinky extensions, it kicked my arse. I definitely need more time (and money for ammo) to practice controlling that little bugger.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Well, here is my "non-expert" answer. This works both for my G27 & my G30 with factory "flush" mags. I hold the grip with my middle & ring finger, interlock my shooting hand pinky with my support hand thumb and rest shooting pinky (which rests directly in front of the mag with mag floorplate resting directly on my palm) in my support palm. Works so well for me, I qualify better with my backup & OD sidearms, than I do with my uniform carry one. (Of course, this could just prove that I'm a lousy shot with full-sized pistols, too!).

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Oh, I did forget the range. I normally just measure with my feet. This is a rough guess but 33-35 feet so 11 yards or so.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Subcompacts do take some practice to get comfortable with. My EDC is a G27 and it took several range trips for me to get comfortable with it. I just suggest more practice if possible, and if you dont get better at least a little bit each time then maybe consider a different carry piece. Just my :twocents:. Good luck :ingo:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I carry the G26. I feel more comfortable with the pinky extension, but can handle it just about as well without it. There isn't a noticeable difference in group size with or without the extension for me. But I do have smaller hands and shorter fingers than the average shooter here at INGO and so the difference in grip is correspondingly smaller as well.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom