How do you shoot well with a sub compact grip?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I had to get the glock factory 10 round mags with the fingertip extensions for my glock 27. My pinky felt left out with the 9 rounds mags

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    I actually tried those, but did care for them, they come unglued in the heat on the front strap.

these are MUCH better, because the finger grooves cut out and can't some loose.

TruGripUSA.com

I'll have to try those too,but have had no problem with the Talons applied as per instructions by thorough cleaning with alcohol and use of heat when applying. If you go to the Talon website though, he does state that he received a bad batch of adhesive that he was not aware of until problems came up in the field. Maybe you got some of those ,if so he will replace them for free if you e-mail him. :)

PS: If you go to the advertisers section on Glock Talk he talks about it and gives a link to request a replacement.

PPS: We have not met yet but I have seen you at MCF&G. The next time we are both there I will introduce myself,and if you would be so kind I would like to have a look at the True Grips. Thanks in advance! Looking forward to meeting you. Vince :D

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    One thing to understand is that most of your gripping strength comes from your middle finger. Your pinkie finger doesn't do much positive for you, although it can cause problems with marksmanship. I've seen people who shoot better with a Glock 26 than with a Glock 34 because they couldn't use their pinkie to "milk" the grip.

The other part is using your support hand effectively. A lot of people are shooting with one hand even though they believe they are using two. There are many more wrong ways to establish a two-handed grip on a handgun than there are right ways.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I got most of my pistol training thru IPD/MCSD, and I was reminded recently when I shot my G27 for the first time in a year that I have greater trigger control when most of my grip is with my weak hand. I believe I remember being taught to grip with my strong hand only enough that the pistol wouldn't fall out of my hand if I turned it upside down, then grip tightly over that with the support hand. It's a lot easier to remember standing still at the firing line than when you're in a hurry...

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have larger hands (XL glove) and am able to keep about the same groups with a sub compact as a full frame, about 6-8 inches at like 25 yards.

I learned really quick that when I hold any pistol to expect half the force from the recoil to come from the lower end of the grip and it will move forward and the other half goes back into your hand between your thumb and index finger.

I put half the force in my hand between my thumb and index finger and the olther hald of it was at my pinkey and ring finger.... the middle finger does not do much for me because it rests at the center of the pivot point during firing/recoil but that is just me, when I shot using more force in my penkey (could get like half a finger on it with no mag extention) I shot better then if I was using more force with my middle finger. That and physics tells me that your middle finger rests at about the center of rotation so how much more good could it do compared to the lower fingers???

In short expect the recoil to go back into the area bewteen your tumb and to go forward at your penkey and adjust your grip acordingly. For me with the subcompact I aqueeze a little harder with my penkey and ring finger to compensate since there is less to hold onto.

Personally it is what works well for me but I am allways all for learning a better way.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom