• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GaryTX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Where do you keep your carry handgun when driving? I thought this might led to some good positions for comfort and ease of access. I put mine in a holster in the driver's door. I'm left handed, so it is easy access if something may happen while stopped and it is out of sight (I like CC).

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Where do you keep your carry handgun when driving? I thought this might led to some good positions for comfort and ease of access. I put mine in a holster in the driver's door. I'm left handed, so it is easy access if something may happen while stopped and it is out of sight (I like CC).

Blackhawk Holster on my right hip or in my Bianchi holster on my right hip. Quick and easy access either way.

GaryTX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Yeah I figured most people would respond with still on the hip. I am comfortable with mine on my hip standing or sitting, but I find the seatbelt gets in the way if I need to remove my gun while in the car. I have seen some custom car holsters that mount on the under side of the dash or on the front of the seat.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    In my pickup I dont have a problem with the seat belt. But if for some reason I need to take it off I have a compartment in the middle of the bench under the arm rest that will lock.

My Grand Prix the seat belt is a pain in the but. I found typically all I had to do was either adjust slightly where it is on my waist, or sit a bit different.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Fobus universal mount. UHVM

I use this in my 2000 Ranger. It uses a Fobus Roto holster. It would work in any vehicle, mounts either vertical or horizontal.

Fobus link: Fobus Holster: UNIVERSAL HOME & VEHICLE MOUNT

FobusRotoholsterandvehiclemount007.jpg
    FobusRotoholsterandvehiclemount004.jpg
    FobusRotoholsterandvehiclemount001.jpg
    FobusRotoholsterandvehiclemount002.jpg
    Fobusmount.jpg

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Be up front and courteous.

Question: What do you do when you get pulled over?

Answer: Well for starters I am a 62 year old toothless old fart and I am in a little Ford Ranger pick'm up and not a Mustang. Having stated that however I asked all five of my family members that are LEO that very same question. The consensus is to do and act the same as I would if I were stopped without it, that is 1. Both hands on top of the steering wheel and do not move them unless asked to do so. 2. Lights on inside the cab if it is at night (do this as soon as you are at a stop before the officer even gets out of their car). 3. Never mind the don't ask don't tell BS, it is obvious that there is a pistol in plain sight. Inform the officer that I have a LTCH and ask him how he would like to proceed from there. :)

Last edited:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Have you tested this procedure yet? I am nothing but curious and I have contemplated making and installing something like that in one of my vehicles before, albeit a little more concealed. I generally OC when I am out and have been pulled over while OCing, but it is not visible to them and I keep my mouth shut about it. Were it as visible as that getup I would notify for sure.

Another question: Is that your carry weapon or a dedicated vehicle gun? Do you unholster and reholster it everytime you get out?

Thanks for the response, rep inbound.

P.S. sorry for the threadjack

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Depends.

Have you tested this procedure yet? I am nothing but curious and I have contemplated making and installing something like that in one of my vehicles before, albeit a little more concealed. I generally OC when I am out and have been pulled over while OCing, but it is not visible to them and I keep my mouth shut about it. Were it as visible as that getup I would notify for sure.

Another question: Is that your carry weapon or a dedicated vehicle gun? Do you unholster and reholster it everytime you get out?

Thanks for the response, rep inbound.

P.S. sorry for the threadjack

If I am OC it pops right out of the mounted holster and into the Serpa holster at 3o'clock on my belt. If I am CC it goes into a Uncle Mikes #4 and into the right front pants pocket. That is if I am carrying the G27. Only difference with the G22 is that it is always OC, if I tried to pocket carry that some young lady might get the wrong impression. :D

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    If I am OC it pops right out of the mounted holster and into the Serpa holster at 3o'clock on my belt. If I am CC it goes into a Uncle Mikes #4 and into the right front pants pocket. That is if I am carrying the G27. Only difference with the G22 is that it is always OC, if I tried to pocket carry that some young lady might get the wrong impression. :D
    LMAO and +1 for OC just too bad its a Glock... ;)

1911 FTW! Here's a pic of my pride and joy

IMG_1368Large.jpg

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Nice!

LMAO and +1 for OC just too bad its a Glock... ;)

1911 FTW! Here's a pic of my pride and joy

IMG_1368Large.jpg

VERY nice pistol! :yesway: :rockwoot:
    I am not a,"Glockophile", like some folks around here, but I do like them for their light weight, simplicity and ease of use. I carried and slept with a 1911A-1 Colt 24/7 for several years. Maybe someday I will have one again, but for everyday carry I much prefer the,"Tupperware", guns. :D

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I use this in my 2000 Ranger. It uses a Fobus Roto holster. It would work in any vehicle, mounts either vertical or horizontal.

Fobus link:

1. I think that thing is awesome.

2. Do you ever (re)holster that in an IWB? Do you carry one in the chamber?

I ask, because I carry a G19 and wouldn't want to holster it in an IWB(while chambered) on a daily basis.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Thanks! And I am very much a "to each his own" kinda guy. I would never bash something that worked and worked well for the person using it. I just liked the looks of the 1911 and that's why I went with this platform but I have found that I dislike the "feel" of the plastic guns even though I probably shoot them just as well. I also have a CZ75 clone and a Taurus PT92AR. The only plastic guns would be a Walther P22 and my wife's Kel Tec which I do really like but I can only shoot it one handed.

Ok threadjack off, Later

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    1. I think that thing is awesome.

2. Do you ever (re)holster that in an IWB? Do you carry one in the chamber?

I ask, because I carry a G19 and wouldn't want to holster it in an IWB(while chambered) on a daily basis.

Unless I am shooting and the magazine is empty or I am cleaning them there is always one in the chamber. The old,"It's a pistol not a paper weight", thing. I pocket carry in a Uncle Mikes #4 in the right front pocket of Carhartt carpenter jeans which are my daily wear work or play. When I OC it is in a Serpa II at three o'clock on my belt. I tried IWB and just could never find a comfortable position and besides my shirts ,even T-shirts are always tucked in, again that is the only way I find comfortable so I would be OC even IWB.

PS: It goes into the holster with the trigger covered BEFORE it goes into my pocket. I wouldn't even dream of trying to re-holster or pocket it without the trigger guarded. :)

Miscshoot026.jpg

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Unless I am shooting and the magazine is empty or I am cleaning them there is always one in the chamber. The old,"It's a pistol not a paper weight", thing. I pocket carry in a Uncle Mikes #4 in the right front pocket of Carhartt carpenter jeans which are my daily wear work or play. When I OC it is in a Serpa II at three o'clock on my belt. I tried IWB and just could never find a comfortable position and besides my shirts ,even T-shirts are always tucked in, again that is the only way I find comfortable so I would be OC even IWB.

PS: It goes into the holster with the trigger covered BEFORE it goes into my pocket.
    Miscshoot026.jpg

Thanks for elaborating.:yesway:

I've never pocket carried before...I'm sorry for thread jacking, but how exactly does that work? Is that holster just a piece of nylon? If so, are you not worried about it coming out of the holster while in your pocket?

/thread jack

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Thanks for elaborating.:yesway:

I've never pocket carried before...I'm sorry for thread jacking, but how exactly does that work? Is that holster just a piece of nylon? If so, are you not worried about it coming out of the holster while in your pocket?

/thread jack

No it is not a simple piece of nylon. It is the same stuff wet suits and mouse pads are made of. It is neoprene about 1/4 inch thick with a bonded nylon surface inside and out. The thin neoprene band around the middle grips the inside of your pocket so that when you draw the holster remains in your pocket. The G27 even with the grip extensions fits completely inside my pocket and is very quick and easy to draw. To re-holster I first remove the holster from my pocket, holster the gun and put it back in the pocket. I have another identical holster that I destroyed trying to pull the trigger with various objects poking and pulling against it to simulate getting snagged. I was unable to get any object to penetrate or distort it in such a way as to cause the pistol to fire. I did this testing on my own before I felt confident enough to carry this way.

PS: It cannot possibly come out of the holster in your pocket. The only way it can go is to draw the pistol straight up and out of your pocket.

Top Bottom