How did your family or friends react or feel about you owning a firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Having been raised from a young age target shooting .22's, .38's and 12 Ga. my family has not voiced any objections to fire arms ownership, no reason to. We were taught from the get go how to safely handle fire arms.

My wife's reaction to my carrying is "as long as you don't flaunt it". She has jokingly called me a gun slinger. The other day during a hug she felt the Glock and said, "My man is packing".

Guess she is good with it.

Last edited:

djjdnap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    the polis of indiana
    I'm enjoying everyones stories, some pretty interesting ideas some ppl have about guns, lol.

Well another update my dad walks up as me and my mom are talkin and she says are you gonna tell your dad what you did? Im like uhhh. She persist that i show tell him so im like i bought a gun.
    My fathers words, "Boy you dont need no gun!!! Take it back!! Don't call me when you get locked up!!"

I pretty much laughed it off cuz it didn't clearly doesn't make since.
    He then goes on to say that because i have a gun i will think im "bad" now.
    And then we started talking about something else lol, sooo it wasn't the smoothest convo thanks to my mom, but its outa the way.
    My mom volunteered to go shooting wt me and pay for my ammo as well :)

I let my brother see it today and he said he was thinking about getting a shotgun for his home, just never has.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    My mom and dad are gun owners. Their parents were gun owners. My mother and father in law are gun owners. Needless to say my wife has no problems with guns. She has her lifetime LTCH and carries a G19. The first time I met her father we spent the afternoon talking guns and shooting. I wouldn't have married a woman who didn't like guns.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Since I do live alone now and if outsiders or family members don't agree with it I would have to question why since I'm not a criminal, I've always held a job, I'm very responsible, raised my son on my own for several years, safety is #1, pose no threat to anyone, don't need a babysitter, and the list could go on.
    If they choose not protect themselves and show no concern for safety in these times doesn't mean I have to. That is their choice and their right. If I choose differently, then that's my choice and my right. It's strange how people can be so different from one another even though they're related.

Last edited:

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    a lot of my family members dont appreciate guns, but what are they going to say about it? i mean, ive got a gun. :dunno:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    a lot of my family members dont appreciate guns, but what are they going to say about it? i mean, ive got a gun. :dunno:

:):

My Father is who introduced me to firearms at a young age. I remember shooting the .22 and watching him clean the firearms. My Mother on the other hand...she's not too thrilled about firearms in general, but I THINK she's becoming a bit more accustomed to seeing me with a firearm on my hip practically everywhere I go. As for the rest of my family...I have alot of Liberals in my family. :dunno::nuts::noway:

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Dad: Bought me a ruger 10/22 at about 12 years old and I worked to earn a 20 gauge 870 a year later.

Mom: Isn't against guns, they just scare her. She knows the benefits to them, but she wasn't raised around them and I guess Dad never took the time to teach her about them.

Brother: He's the same as me.

Sister: Is pro-gun, just doesn't shoot except for deer hunting.

GF: Just got her LTCH today and I bought a Glock 26 a few months ago for her to practice with and carry until she goes back to school.

I don't have any friends that are anti-gun. Why would I do something like that?

SNAFU-M1A

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Morgan Co
    I grew up around guns. My dad is a cop & taught my mom, brother, & I how to shoot in case anyone came to the house lookig for revenge. They bought me a .22lr when I was 12 & when I was 14 I got my grandpa's bolt action 20ga to hunt with.

Two of my mom's brother shot competitvely & are into guns as well. My brother has a shotgun & .22 rifle & keeps talking about getting a handgun. His wife wants to get her permit & a handgun as well. My wife is ok w/ guns, she's a paramedic in Indy & I was already a cop when we met so she knew from the beginning I was into guns. When my kids get a little older they will learn about guns as well.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    My grandfather taught me to shoot a .22 on his farm growing up, took a liking to guns way back then. Picked up my first handgun in college (still have it), others here and there since. Sold a 92FS to my brother who asked for it after he qualified with the military version in the Air Force and thought he ought to keep a gun around the house (Come to think of it, he just had a new kid and I better let him know I want it back in case my sis in law isn't a gun person and doesn't want it around the baby. She flies an A-10 though, so I imagine its safe). I got some of Grandpa's rifles when he passed, and I'm pretty sure my folks know that...I haven't bothered to point out to them the times I've been carrying in their presence. Don't think they'd care, but I never told them about the motorcycle either - sometimes it's just easier. Dad has at least one deer hunting rifle somewhere in the house. Wife is all good...she wants something she feels comfortable with. She's just a tiny little thing and although she's fired my S&W 4006, the 92FS and my newly acquired Sig X-Five (last two both 9mm) she just thinks they're too big for her. I figure we'll make a day of the 1500 in August and let her get her hands on a variety of things before we buy her something. Friends have never really said a word (those who know), maybe a few comments from people that don't disapprove exactly, but to whom the concept of self-defense vs. screaming for the cops and hoping they'll be saved in time is just entirely foreign to their worldview.

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    I was raised around guns since I was young. My dad is an avid shooter and has a decent collection. My mom doesnt enjoy firearms for a hobby, but she doesn't mind at all since she too was raised around them. When I bought my first handgun, dad took me to the range and we made a father son day out of it. My girlfriend on the other hand, didnt care much for me buying a gun for defense. I educated her on why it's important and that guns are a part of my life. It took some time but she has warmed up to them greatly and we are actually going shopping for her first pistol soon :)

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    For the sake of conversation

I don't bring it up with anyone and keep it on the downlow. I grew up with guns as well, .410 at age 10, .22lr shortly thereafter, and continued a long family tradition of military service at age 18. To be honest, the thought of NOT having a rifle or anything at all was the weirdest concept for me to grasp. I didn't encounter the anti-gun thing until college and that was a culture shock in itself. I later found that some folks are just weird about the whole thing and honestly, I view them as a bit naive about a veil of security that, imo, does not exist. When the wife brings it up, I generally make a point of reference every time we watch a movie in which a character is victimized or something to that effect, in their own home. I will say something to the effect of "That's why we have to protect ourselves". It's not just movies, she likes to watch cold case files and all the court TV stuff, also wonderful opportunities for me to reinforce the concept of self preservation. She's come around over the years, just for the sake of victimization avoidance. Long story short, it's kind of a personal thing to me, like my religious views and what I do in the shower....

BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    i grew up in a Pro gun household. my dad got his FFL when i was still very young. so as long as i can remember ive been around guns. and as long as i can remember ive hade gun safety engrained in me. most of my friends and their families are either pro gun or non gun. it wasnt untill college last year that i started to aquire anti gun friends. now im trying to get them to go through hunters education. i told them i would pay for it and go through it with them.

BIGE7.62

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    66   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    90% of my family own guns and 50% use them weekly.Have all my kids shooting,11,9,6 They all know to never handle a gun w/o an adult around ,to always keep it pointed in a safe direction and to check for clear and safe . Also if they are somewhere and another kid has a gun ,leave and find an adult

BIGE7.62

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    66   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    :ar15:
    90% of my family own guns and 50% use them weekly.Have all my kids shooting,11,9,6 They all know to never handle a gun w/o an adult around ,to always keep it pointed in a safe direction and to check for clear and safe . Also if they are somewhere and another kid has a gun ,leave and find an adult

byford80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    my wife dont like guns but she doesnt say anything about me owning or shooting guns, hope to get her out though

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    West of Louisville
    I grew up in the shooting sports starting at 8. My uncle drove me all over the country to competitions in the 80's. I had a great time with him and I also hate him for starting my addiction. My parents both have guns and I have to remind my mom you do need a permit to carry. My wife thinks I'm crazy but doesn't mind them in the house. I've been lucky...

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    The only person involved in my firearm decisions was/is me. I am accountable for my decisions, and I have never asked family or friends for any input on the subject. It's none of their business, and they bear no responsibility for any choice I might make concerning my firearms.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I asked her what was the point of having something for protection if you dont have it with you? I then also tried to explain to her that the safest place the gun is going to be is with me and that if i left it in the car or home and it was stolen that i would be liable for anything someone else did with MY gun.

While I agree that the best place for it is with/on you. You are covered under IN law if someone stole it.

IC 34-30-20-1
    Owner immunity for misuse of a firearm by a person who acquires the firearm by criminal act
    Sec. 1. A person is immune from civil liability based on an act or omission related to the use of a firearm or ammunition for a firearm by another person if the other person directly or indirectly obtained the firearm or ammunition for a firearm through the commission of the following:
    (1) Burglary (IC 35-43-2-1).
    (2) Robbery (IC 35-42-5-1).
    (3) Theft (IC 35-43-4-2).
    (4) Receiving stolen property (IC 35-43-4-2).
    (5) Criminal conversion (IC 35-43-4-3).

Top Bottom