How did your family or friends react or feel about you owning a firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Outside my four walls, family & friends did not know. None of their beeswax.
    Inside my four walls, nobody liked the idea much (and later on, liked reloading much less).
    But today, the people under my roof support it, like it and encourage it, because they think I'm good at both.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    My family doesn't mind, now the wife and her bunch. I can already tell there is going to be a fight when the kids get old enough to shoot.As far as friends they all share the hobby.

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    Family didn't mind after I dissolved for them the illusion of guns being inherently unsafe and the possibility of them "just going off".

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    My wife doesn't mind & even has her own gun & LTCH. The problem with her is she doesn't EVER carry. To be honest though, she does struggle with the idea because her dad killed himself a couple of years ago with a revolver. Guess which kind of handgun she has? She finally admitted recently that is why she doesn't carry it or want to practice with it much, so I'll be posting up a lightly used Ruger SP101 in the classifieds pretty soon. She says she wants a small 9mm.

My youngest daughter (15) has no interest at all in guns or in shooting. All she does is her best :rolleyes: when she knows I'm carrying. I don't know why I can't get her to understand the need for self-defense, even non-gun related, basic H2H stuff.

Everybody else in my family is OK with it...or at least they haven't voiced any negativity toward it. 2 of my sons have their LTCH.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    fortunately stayed "gun-pro", for my whole long life. Dad raised me with a gun in my hand and high school sweetheart's dad, owned a few stores.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I grew up with a pro-gun dad and my mom was okay with it guess. She isnt a fan of me carrying but knows I will be safe.

Most of my friends still continue to ask me why i feel the need to carry a gun but anymore I just never answer. If they are to stupid to realize what kind of world we live in then I cant expect them to understand anway

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Gun owners on both side of my family, more from my mom's side(all hunters except her and grandma). Don't know a lot about my dad's father, never got to meet him, unfortunately, but my dad has a .38 Spl revolver(S&W maybe?) he got from him. He also has a 12ga Rem870, Rem700 .30-06, Ruger 10/22, and a Taurus 22 pistol. I think he sold anything else he's ever had. Uncles on mom's side seem to win a gun every other raffle they enter.

Nobody really cares when I get new guns, they usually just laugh and say I have too much money.

PaPa 260

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    I grew up in very rural southeast Indiana, I didn't know of a household that did have guns that were used for hunting and plinking. Both sides of the my family had guns, my in laws had guns. We were taught gun safety at an early age as my daughter and grandsons have been. It was just a way of life I suppose. It is foreign to me to not be around guns and people who hunt, shoot and carry responsibly. Nobody I know has an issue with it, like I said it is a way of life I suppose.

PaPa 260

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I grew up in middle Michigan where most working class families had hunting rifles yet few had handguns.
    My mother was perfectly ok with them. We never gave her a reason to be overly concerned. Safety was ingrained deeply.

I do remember one of my friend's mom freaking out on us when she learned I'd let my friend shoot my .22 rifle (we were 15 already). I sat with his mom and step dad and listened (politely) to them talk down to me about the dangers of firearms. I think I explained everything I knew about safety pretty well, because about a week later my friend's step dad bought him his own Marlin .22lr! After we took it out shooting for the first time, we were cleaning them, his step-dad brought down his own Super Redhawk. We were in awe.

rxcrm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Clark County
    I am somewhat of a blunt and to the point person so before I was old enough to purchase guns on my own I had to listen to alot of the same things mentioned above. Once I was old enough to purchase anything I wanted I simply said that if they didnt like oh well its our god given right.

Top Bottom