• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If a person who resides in the house invites him in, he's not trespassing.

1st rule of the Vampire....has to be invited to enter......:)

Not there. Not really enough info to know how I would have responded short of a good solid beat dawn across the board. Yeah, probably get cuffed and spend a night in stir but when a family member breaks that cardinal rule "no one in the house without my knowledge especially after it is secured" then the rules need to be reviewed......Harshly.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    To All,

I don't have children nor am I married, so I come at this way different.

I would like to think that I would wait for a real threat to be "present and/or in view" before killing another human being. I would want to see a gun, a knife, or at least him advancing on me. Something to make me believe lethal force is required. Even if he just said "I'm going to blow you away/put you down/etc" then grabbing for something that would be reasonable.

Someone just "grabbing for something" does not reach that bar for me! Maybe my bar is too high and it may cost me someday, but I would rather run that risk than for every remaining day of my life know I killed someone who was reaching for NOT a weapon.

Regards,

Doug
    On the street, maybe. In MY house at 0200 in the morning, all bets are off! Reach for "something" after daughter says she doesn't know you, it's on! According to the article, it also was a little more than just that. Stupid kid didn't listen to commands from an ARMED man, when kid KNEW he was in wrong place at wrong time, he is now dead.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Sounds like it, I had good parenting, and my socio-economics were decent, ( we weren't on welfare), but even though there were consequences for my actions, and I KNEW they were going to be harsh, I STILL did stupid shyte! I just thought I was smarter than the adults and could get away with it!
    Again, it comes back to personal responsibility, not environmental circumstances. This is a good example.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It's easy for us to sit in our armchairs and condemn the father.

But look at the facts he had.

It's 2:30am, the father finds this 17 year old young man in his daughter's room and she claims she doesn't know him.

The father holds a gun on him and tells him not to move.

Instead of complying, he reaches for something.
    Just because he's 17, doesn't mean he doesn't have a weapon of some sort.

I'm not going to bet my life I wouldn't have fired too.
    Because at the point he fired, the father believed the 17 year old to be an intruder in his home.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    On the street, maybe. In MY house at 0200 in the morning, all bets are off! Reach for "something" after daughter says she doesn't know you, it's on! According to the article, it also was a little more than just that. Stupid kid didn't listen to commands from an ARMED man, when kid KNEW he was in wrong place at wrong time, he is now dead.

Many kids will not listen. Period.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's easy for us to sit in our armchairs and condemn the father.

But look at the facts he had.

It's 2:30am, the father finds this 17 year old young man in his daughter's room and she claims she doesn't know him.

The father holds a gun on him and tells him not to move.

Instead of complying, he reaches for something.
    Just because he's 17, doesn't mean he doesn't have a weapon of some sort.

I'm not going to bet my life I wouldn't have fired too.
    Because at the point he fired, the father believed the 17 year old to be an intruder in his home.

This sounds about right. In the bright light of day, fully awake, it's easy to take the time you need to justify what you think you would have done. It's a crying shame for everyone involved. I'd wager everyone involved is wondering what they could have/should have done differently or wish they had a chance to do it all over again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This sounds about right. In the bright light of day, fully awake, it's easy to take the time you need to justify what you think you would have done. It's a crying shame for everyone involved. I'd wager everyone involved is wondering what they could have/should have done differently or wish they had a chance to do it all over again.

Everyone but the boy. Kids today (not all but a good percentage) just will not listen to reason.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    There but for the grace of god go more of us than we will admit.

My wife and I passed the perils of raising two teenagers with enough ease for me to think that maybe our kids were just born with good sense, or that we were just really great parents.

But then, as our kids got older and told us a few stories, I thought less that I was any kind of great parent and more that my kids were just born with good sense and at times were very, very lucky.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    How many men here were not in similar situations and lucky they didn't up like that kid when they were young men? Maybe we know someone who narrowly escaped by the skin of their teeth by jumping out a window and dodging a few shots, maybe didn't have time to grab all their clothes. And those same young men who were lucky enough to learn from thier mistakes and grow up to raise a daughter, which one of them wouldn't do the same thing as the father in the OP? Does it automatically mean the boy didn't have good parents or that the girl's father was a bad dad? There's a lot of what ifs. Every life story is different, none are perfect. I can't judge the father in this story, but not sure that kid really deserved to die either.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs

Answering the OP question: I have 4 teens in the home (regularly) and multiple others at various times. The kids come and go and as far as I know, my kids hang with good kids.
    Investigating a bump in the night (or a blur on my security cam) with a gun in my hand is not something I do. If I were to become afraid, and no one's life was in obvious immediate danger ... I'd call the police.
    While it seems like the manly thing to do, trying to sort things out with a gun in your hand is not good practice (at least for me).
    All that being said ... no judgements from me against the father. Who knows what really happened.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    The song "Stealing" comes to my mind. "I done the ranchers daughter, and I sure did hurt his pride." This boy just wasn't lucky enough to get away in time. This was tragic for all involved.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    1. Poor, poor judgment on the father's part. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, but your highly embarrassed daughter insists it's not a duck, don't shoot it just yet.
    2. I don't care what kind of parent you think you are, you may just find a boy in her room. I know, because I've been that boy many times, and it was with lots of daughters that no one could ever imagine would do such a thing. Don't ever think your magnificent parenting skills can override the biological impulse in certain kids. Some kids are more sexual than others and the moral rules you've taught them all their life pale in that overwhelming moment. You may not like to think so, but it's true.
    3. All of you with teenage sons, SHOW THEM THE ARTICLE. They need to know they're playing with fire.
    4. Back to number one. If you find a boy in your teenage daughter's room and you weren't drawn there by screams (of fear, anyway) first assume - until vigorous interrogation proves otherwise - that your precious amazing virginal sweetheart of a pure-as-the-driven-snow daughter might just be a little freaky. Don't shoot him. Tell him to lie down on his stomach. He'll probably comply so quickly he might just punish himself worse than you could do it for him. They can actually break.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    This is the kind of crap that gives all gun owners a bad name. Simply "reaching for something" does not give permission to shoot. What ever happened to know what you're shooting? If nothings been shown then you don't know what you're shooting.

This dad should get life in prison. And those defending his actions make me uncomfortable.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    This is the kind of crap that gives all gun owners a bad name. Simply "reaching for something" does not give permission to shoot. What ever happened to know what you're shooting? If nothings been shown then you don't know what you're shooting.

This dad should get life in prison. And those defending his actions make me uncomfortable.

I mostly agree, though to me we must err on the side of the pure facts. Life is too much, IMO. If the same thing had occurred but the guy was in the living room, there's no way I would convict. I just think that when you find someone in bed with someone else, your FIRST instinct should be that it is what it looks like. Bad judgment that crosses into criminal behavior. Life is too much, however.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I wouldn't have shot the kid. In a situation like that I'd assume the daughter was not telling the truth, since she wasn't already screaming that a stranger was in the house. It doesn't look good for the dad, nor should it.

This... the excuse sounds so bunk.

Top Bottom