• ...and so much more!
  • Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Well you know things were changing when the traditional wedding vows of, for better or worse, richness, sickness and in health, yada, yada were all omitted during the ceremony.
    Young people get married with the thought that "if it doesn't work we can always get a divorce."

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I don't think my post had anything to do with judging any of this, only commenting how it is. Not how I think it should be or who should get what.
    Yeah, it's just interesting that most in this thread say something about women marrying for money, etc, but the men on the other side of the equation don't get mentioned as much, I guess was my point. Not an attack, just an observation.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Well you know things were changing when the traditional wedding vows of, for better or worse, richness, sickness and in health, yada, yada were all omitted during the ceremony.
    Young people get married with the thought that "if it doesn't work we can always get a divorce."
    I have married once. I will be married once. Will never marry again and I am married .

At my age it is cheaper to fly to Amsterdam/ Vancouver/ Las Vegas than to marry another time. The wife at this point (married 25 plus years and dated since the 1990’s )would most like go if half on the plane ticket to Amsterdam And not have any issues.

Reactions: Leo

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have very similar feelings towards the people who married 25 years ago as I have towards the people who snapped up all the cheap houses 25 years ago.

So nice that worked out for you. So appreciative that you pulled the ladder up behind you.
    Huh? 'splain, Lucy. I mean, unless you have a thing for older women and are looking for one that's 25 years older than you... :dunno:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have very similar feelings towards the people who married 25 years ago as I have towards the people who snapped up all the cheap houses 25 years ago.

So nice that worked out for you. So appreciative that you pulled the ladder up behind you.
    Waaaaa. How about you improve your income?
    The interest rate on my first home that I financed was 17 1/4% interest with 20% down.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    2 story colonials are $400,000 houses now.
    No, no, and no. I just sold a 3000sf home for just under 400k and it was NOT a starter home.

The starter home I bought myself (before the Mrs) was 1200sf for 95k (in '04), sold it for 105k a few years later. IIRC, it's Zillow shows 215k now (thank Biden & Co for that).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No, no, and no. I just sold a 3000sf home for just under 400k and it was NOT a starter home.

The starter home I bought myself (before the Mrs) was 1200sf for 95k (in '04), sold it for 105k a few years later. IIRC, it's Zillow shows 215k now (thank Biden & Co for that).
    Seems like so many think a "starter home" = McMansion these days. (Not saying that's you Ark.) My "starter home" was probably about 1100 sq. ft in Eagledale. $56K with a FHA loan and 5% down. Didn't have the stuff growing out front or the flagpole. I think my ex still lives there.

1717367643084.png

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Huh? 'splain, Lucy. I mean, unless you have a thing for older women and are looking for one that's 25 years older than you... :dunno:
    Yeah, the house thing... Whatever. I'm still trying to figure out how you're blaming folks who got married 25 years ago for somehow messing it up for folks today?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Yeah, the house thing... Whatever. I'm still trying to figure out how you're blaming folks who got married 25 years ago for somehow messing it up for folks today?
    Simple: They got in before women got ruined. Just like they got in before housing got ruined, before employment got ruined, before Mopar A-bodies got ruined, before CMP guns got ruined, etc etc. Everything was cheap and abundant and easy and the boomers just don't have the self-awareness or critical thinking skills to ask themselves why younger people can't achieve all the things that came to them so easily.

1717369696021.jpeg

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Happily married for 36 years now, and in a home that has doubled in value since I bought it with a 3% mortgage. I think the missing ladder that you were looking for is in your mirror.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Happily married for 36 years now, and in a home that has doubled in value since I bought it with a 3% mortgage. I think the missing ladder that you were looking for is in your mirror.
    Case in point.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Case in point.
    I didn't exactly take into consideration what the effect of me working hard, constantly striving to increase my salary and making good decisions would have on whiners 20 years into the future. Mostly because I don't feel any responsibility for people who can't seem to figure out life or blame everything except themselves for their failures.

I had to check to make sure this is INGO and not Reddit.

:):

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Simple: They got in before women got ruined. Just like they got in before housing got ruined, before employment got ruined, before Mopar A-bodies got ruined, before CMP guns got ruined, etc etc. Everything was cheap and abundant and easy and the boomers just don't have the self-awareness or critical thinking skills to ask themselves why younger people can't achieve all the things that came to them so easily.

View attachment 356556
    Lacking critical thinking skills. :lol2:
    Funny how my sons friends and my sons soon to be 25 & 27 haven't had these problems you have.
    Neither one has used his VA mortgage yet, it was a better deal to do the first time buyers. Wish we would have had those options available when we were the land of plenty.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I didn't exactly take into consideration what the effect of me working hard, constantly striving to increase my salary and making good decisions would have on whiners 20 years into the future. Mostly because I don't feel any responsibility for people who can't seem to figure out life or blame everything except themselves for their failures.

I had to check to make sure this is INGO and not Reddit.

:):
    I'm guessing it was a mistake to move out, go in the Service and start saving for my future as a young man. Get a good job that came with a pension, 401, annuity and then SS checks for working hard for 52 years.
    Geesh was I dumb.
    We should have just stayed home and lived in Dads house, basement, garage, barn, back 40 in a tent until he croaked and gotten a free house in my late 50's.

Full disclosure, the last home I bought was through a .GOV foreclosure auction.
    At settlement it cost me just over $11,000 dollars.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Like I said. Boomers just don't "get it" and never will.

And, lol at the fact that the secret is apparently just to get paid by other people's taxes, or to buy houses taken by the government and auctioned. "The secret ingredient is the government gave us stuff". Good for you guys, my generation's check must still be in the mail.

Wish I could say your homes will be cheap when you die, but you're all selling them to Blackrock to rent back to us before that happens.

Top Bottom