Hopefully Carry at Purdue in the Future?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    After a meeting last night it was made clear that if it goes up for vote tonight, it will fail. They plan to try again in the future. but I was pretty disapointed by the fact that it seems as if people associated with this on campus seem prepared to lose.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Just ask if they are willing to give up this right then they must want to give up the First Amendment of free speech and free religion as well.

Don't give up! Let them know they can loose their freedom of speech as well that will rattle some cages!!!

GarandMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    When and where is the meeting tonight? Can the public attend? I find it very frustrating that a public university is so invested in establishing diversity, tolerance, non-profiling and acceptance yet seems to be able to discriminate against law abiding United States citizens trying to exercise a Constitutional Right.

Last edited:

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    When and where is the meeting tonight? Can the public attend? I find it very frustrating that a public university is so invested in establishing diversity, tolerance, non-profiling and acceptance yet seems to be able to discriminate against law abiding United States citizens trying to exercise a Constitutional Right.

According to the exponent, dean's auditorium in Pfendler hall

sipowicz30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    North Central Indiana
    The Chief's viewpoint makes it easy to tell the good guys... they are theones laying on the ground assuming room temperature. We know what happnes when police immediately engage all percieved threats. An off duty or plainclothes officer get shot.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    What: Purdue Student Government Meeting to vote on Personal Protection Reform
    When: Tonight (11/16/2011) at 7:00pm
    Where Dean's Auditorium in Pfendler Hall
    Why: To support personal protection on campus

NOTE: Dress is business formal so please dress appropriately.

Question...

Dress is business formal, so does that mean I OC my BBQ Pistol or is my Black Kimber still good?!

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    What I learned is tha psg, well many members of it, act as if carry will cause crime. They won't listen to logic, to statistics, to emotional appeal. Of the twelve people that spoke only two or three spoke against it. They just don't care. Thank you kludge for coming and speaking.

GarandMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    It is hard to compete with media hype, invincible ignorance, and irrational perception. For perception, even if very wrong, is 100% of reality to them. All we can do is keep trying. Involving and exposing more "nonbelievers" to firearms and allowing them to discover the "shooting culture" that we all share and enjoy, may be the answer.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Ugh... Jeremiah, you're exactly right. It doesn't matter how many statistics or logical arguments get thrown their way, they just act like they don't hear them. Honestly, it really frustrates me, as I'm sure it also does to many of you, but I just DO NOT GET IT!! They have no reasoning or justification when you ask them why it's a bad idea... They just say "guns aren't the answer" or "guns won't help; they'll hurt the academic environment." I wish I would have had more time to spend to help out with this cause, but I don't think my presence would have been nearly enough to sway that many people.

People need to just think about what they're deciding against. If they're so scared of the possibility of firearms being out and about, how can they possibly leave their house and go out into public where, *gasp* firearms are carried. It just makes 0 sense...

While I'm on a rant, did the president of YAL get misquoted when he said it was ILLEGAL for students to have guns on campus or is that really what he thinks... Because a paragraph or two later, it acted like he knew that students who carried only faced penalty from Purdue. Anyway, this let crazy Klinker start talking about having to change state legislature to allow students to carry, etc. Don't know exactly where all of that came from....???

/rant

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Don't thank me. I was more than happy to show my support for you and to be a voice for my wife. You and your colleagues deserve all the credit. You guys kept it relevant and kept pulling it back to relevant. The fact that you got seven votes is amazing. Baby steps. Don't quit. Introduce a recommendation to allow pepper spray, as an example. I think you could pull several of the female votes. Start an awareness campaign -- host a "Refuse to Be a Victim" on campus, and keep on hosting them (RTBAV is not about guns). Focus on what you can do, and don't stop being an influence.

One thing I was thinking about on my way home...

You will always get a lot of emotional appeal about safety, suicide, drunkenness, drugs, what have you. There are a lot of people who will say (and did say) "What if _______?" and even though you show statistics that a dozen other states have had zero problems, there will always be someone who will say, "but what if ________?" (somebody "snaps" was one example I heard tonight). You can even show them statistics that a LTCH holder is much less likely to be arrested than a COP, and they will just go back to their emotional appeals.

I have been called everything from silly to paranoid for carrying a gun. Well, I'm here to tell you that when "what if" happens to you, you stop caring about what people think about your decision to carry a firearm. You stop caring about whether you are paranoid. You stop thinking about what people's opinion of you is, and you go and you get a license and you exercise your right. Because you'd rather be silly than dead. And when someone IS out to get you, you don't care whether or not you were paranoid because you carry a gun.

I now have a come back that almost always stops them cold: "It happens to someone every day."

Today could be my day.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    The issue with PSG is they have no incentive to vote for this. The only incentive politicians have is reelection and PSG senators don't really care that much about reelection, they only really care about being elected when they are actually campaigning. We are actively working on changing this by addressing student senators before they are elected, instead of after. Hopefully, next year we will have a much better stance, a more supportive senate, and a more organized organization. All-in-all, this is about what I expected (but hoped for better, obviously). In all honesty, getting a 33% favorable vote with basically 1 week of activity is pretty good; not to mention, this has been a great learning experience for student government.

Top Bottom