Hopefully Carry at Purdue in the Future?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    BoR, all well and true but the schwerpunkt of the government's attack on this proposal is the police. Any response should concentrate solely on Chief Cox's red herring argument.

1. Attack the cops' concern as fantasy.

2. Demand that they provide examples of his fantasy.

3. Demand that PUPD disarm as Chief Cox admits he has no confidence in his officers and their low skill level.

4. Demand that PUPD undergo training on their own dime if they wish to carry guns again.

5. Above all attack, do not defend.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Well I still don't get the Necessity of a class, or a register, or any class offered at applied ballistics. Nothing Against Stan, but better pistol training can be had locally.

I Really respect AK, VT, and arizona, no license or training required.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Meeting tonight was kind of interesting.
    There is much to be done.

Mr. Briggs is willing to add an amendment requiring anyone who wants to carry undergo psychological evaluation.

NBC has picked up the story.
    and many news stations may be at the next meeting.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Yelp, took care of some delegattion at the meeting earlier tonight. Hopefully, we can really get this thing rolling. I don't feel like Zach felt overly confident about this proposal passing without the psychological exam addition, but I just think that is too far. We're already sacrificing by only asking for concealed, agreeing to a training course, agreeing to registering with Purdue to be able to carry it, and not allowing those in campus housing to carry. Pretty soon we're going to give up real firearms for airsoft pistols.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really glad we're giving this a legitimate go, but we can't sacrifice everything. No way I would go through all of that. Just to be clear, it's not that Zach wants to put all of the exceptions in, but that he feels we must to be able to get the votes to pass it.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    I think if anything passes at all, it is a big step in the right direction. Get a foot in the door. In a couple of years, maybe try to remove some of the stipulations after the opposition realizes that it isn't a big deal. I know it might not help the current students, but at this point you guys are breaking ground on an issue that has not been touched before.:yesway:

Remember, Purdue is a place with vast differences of backgrounds and cultures. Just like there were people for and against the smoking resrtictions on campus, people got used to the changes and life goes on. If this proposal goes forward, people will gradually get used to it and life will go on.

By the way, as unfortunate as it was, the recent attack on a young woman this week should add fuel to this current cause. Unfortunately, she was walking to her on-campus housing.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm glad I'm not a student anymore and don't have to feel pressured by Purdue's regulations.

I've skimmed through this thread and the only thing that really bothers me are all the compromises I have read about (training, psych tests, registration, etc).

Why do you feel you need to make compromises?

If you want the right to carry on campus without fear of retribution, then shouldn't you be pushing for the same carry rights you have as a Indiana resident.

Good luck with your discussions, you'll need it to get anything passed on that campus.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Mandatory training? A psych evaluation?! What's next, "voluntary" storage at PUPD HQ?!

Yes, Purdue is made up of people from many backgrounds. This is immaterial. We are in America, where rights are recognized as belonging to all and as being of the utmost importance.
    IMHO, the initiative should be dropped until it can be picked up again by someone truly and wholeheartedly committed to passing it with the school's so-called "public interest" being recognized as being of secondary importance to the recognition of and respect for the individual rights of each law-abiding and peaceable student and/or faculty/staff member.

This ridiculous "psych evaluation" has potential to set an exceptionally BAD precedent that could then be adopted by the state, then other states. This would be an unacceptable step backwards and should be shut down hard.

:twocents:

When other natural rights are subject to interpretation by those who oppose them... Should one, after all, have to prove he is psychiatrically competent to believe in a religion?... We have lost both skirmish and battle.

Blessings,
    Bill

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Last night, those at the meeting told Zach they would not support his bill if a psych test was required.

Working on an open forum- Q&A session next tuesday.

Working on taking the members of PSG to applied ballistics for an impromptu "first shots" session.

Working on writing the exponent.

working on gathering support from students and alumni.

If you would support this bill please email me ltchpurdue@gmail.com

Purdue Alumni, please please please, write and call the administration and tell them you support this bill.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    I offer past logic of the PUPD. I was a student there in the 80's; was detained and searched once because I met the following description of the BG:

young man wearing blue jeans - I would have laughed and thought it was a joke, but was afraid I would be arrested (you know 30,000 + students, approx. 20,000 male at the time and probably 10,000 of those wearing blue jeans on any given day - hey, I was one of 10,000 that met the criteria).

Fortunately, I was let go because I was not carrying a knife (if I had a knife, I might still be there?).

The report was like, someone flashed a knife. I can not imagine what would happen if a someone had a gun (perhaps a CC shows a bulge) - innocent student shot is not out of the question. :dunno:

Perhaps student safety would increase if the students carried and the police did not.;)

:ingo::patriot:

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Any compromise other than "We'll follow state law" needs to be immediately destroyed. It is not acceptable for a state funded university to require anything beyond what the state allows in it's legal code.

If any student is legally authorized to carry via the current IC and LTCH system, Purdue should NOT introduce any form of mandatory anything.

I don't care if someone's feelings get hurt unless these restrictions are in place. It's a bad precedent to introduce any infringement, especially something subjective like a "psych eval."

Are they going to be issuing their own version of a LTCH/CCW after all that crap? I don't know how legal that'd be.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Its being discussed, I'm trying to tall them out of all provisions. I will be taking some of the Purdue Student Government to applied ballistics Sunday for a 2 hour shooting session. Hopefully their opinions change.

If they set up a forum for 7pm Tuesday would anyone be willing to help argue FOR carry on campus? Alumni would be greatly appreciated.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    +1 Hammerhead.

Jeremiah, where will the meeting be? I'm an Purdue(IUPUI) grad and my wife is currently an IU(IUPUI) student. Does that count? We both much older than the typical student, but I did carry while I was at IUPUI.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Still waiting to find out if their will be a forum on this topic. i will let ingo know as soon as I do.

Today was successful though, managed an impromptu class at applied ballistics today, Two people from the exponent and I believe 7 psg senators were their. All and all a positive experience. I even ended up giving the girl from the purdue exponent a ride home, and as she didn't mind getting in a car with and armed stranger I don't think she had a bad time. I will post a link to the exponent tomorrow, or whenever she publishes her AAR.

the next Purdue Student government meeting will be Wednesday at 7pm/

GarandMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    The local TV Channel 18 had a story on it today with interviews of students and one alumnus. Their irrational quotes only illustrated their emotional, invincible ignorance of firearms and the reasons to have them.

"It definitely makes me nervous, I feel a lot more safe if there's not weapons allowed..."

"...I don't think we should have guns on campus, just concealed and walking around.."

"With all of the school shootings, especially on a midwestern campus, I don't feel there's any reason to carry concealed weapons on campus. There's no immediate danger to the students..."

Seriously?????

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I keep getting more angry at people that support it, but with provisions.

I do not support training.
    I do not support any provisions.

When I am "happy" I will be able to walk into a court proceeding, or into a general assembly meeting openly carrying an STI perfect TEN with a Trijicon RMR. I am tired of cowering to others peoples fears, emotions, or misnomers. I am tired of asking permission, jumping through hoops, stepping on eggshells, only to be told that wasn't enough. I have a feeling the rest of my life is going to be hard.

Top Bottom