• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    I know for the most part "the bad guys" or "home invaders" are lazy and look for the easy targets. So with myself being a young person. I hope they don't look at me as an easy target but I do think they pay enough attenion and notice a person schd. Then thats when a personn becomes a victim of what ever that might be. I have a neighbor that there house was broken in to and ran sack about 2 yrs ago. This was taken place in the middle of the day. They had no dead bolts. How ever I had pry marks on my back door but no break in. I have dead bolt locks in my doors. So I hope that I never go through a Home Invasion in the middle of the night. If so they will have to use a sleg-hammer to get in and that should wake me I hope.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    There are a lot of aspects to a home defense plan that most people think about and a lot of folks address: hardened points of entry, lighting, alarms, dogs. But as I teach in Personal Protection in the Home, there are also a LOT of issues that most folks don't consider:

Do you have a storage shed or external garage that 1) is easily broken into and 2) contains items that would facilitate an illegal entry into your home? Examples: ladders, sledge hammers, bolt cutters, pry bars.

Does your landscaping provide cover to a BG who wants to observe your home through windows or doors?

Do you have valuables (e.g., computers, gun cases) that are easily observed through external windows or doors?

Have you gone through your house to identify areas of either 1) concealment or 2) cover that could be used by either you or a BG? Do you know the difference betwen cover and concealment, and how best to use both within your home?

Do you know what makes a good "safe room" within your home? If so, have you identified a safe room and is it properly equipped (firearm, ammo, charged cell phone, flashlight with fresh batteries, extra clothing, spare house key)? (Who can tell me what the spare house key is for?)

Have you identified a position within your safe room that both provides cover to you (and/or others in your household) and also allows you to defend against an entry into the room?

In the event that you detect an illegal entry into your home, should you stay in your safe room or "clear" the home?

How do you communicate with other family members during a home invasion?

Do you know what to tell the police when you call 911?

How should you communicate with the police when they arrive?

As stated, these are just a few of the MANY issues that we should all be prepared to address - and that should be incorporated into any home defense plan. Unfortunately, too many folks have a plan that consists only of "I will wait for the dog to bark and then get my gun." (Of course, those folks are probably not INGO members.) ;)

Guy

Last edited:

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    What I've learned is you are perfectly safe, no need to worry.
    Here is some sage advise I learned on our very own pages....
    Quote:
    if you are living somewhere where you feel the need to carry walking around in your own home you are:

A. paranoid and insane, no need discussing that further

B. living in the wrong neighborhood, move already

C. dreaming :) wake up ****er

or

D. all of the above

I mean, the prior has given me reason to give up carrying for protection, I'll never need it.

(yes, someone actually posted this)
    Well, A is always a given. They love to beat on ya with that paranoid stick.:rolleyes:
    You'll never live it down.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    There are a lot of aspects to a home defense plan that most people think about and a lot of folks address: hardened points of entry, lighting, alarms, dogs. But as I teach in Personal Protection in the Home, there are also a LOT of issues that most folks don't consider:
    Let us look at the thoughts you have brought up and allow me to respond...
    Do you have a storage shed or external garage that 1) is easily broken into and 2) contains items that would facilitate an illegal entry into your home? Examples: ladders, sledge hammers, bolt cutters, pry bars.
    Hmmm...
    No they cannot get into the Shop nor the Garage easily. However, do they know how to use Heavy Equipment?! I have 2 Small Loader Tractors, I Backhoe, 1 Front End Loader, and a Backhoe...
    Do those count as items that can be used to access the home?! :dunno:
    Does your landscaping provide cover to a BG who wants to observe your home through windows or doors?
    My Landscaping is designed to allow me to funnel my enemies into Zones...
    Do you have valuables (e.g., computers, gun cases) that are easily observed through external windows or doors?
    Just my office, I like people to watch while I am on the Internet ...
    Have you gone through your house to identify areas of either 1) concealment or 2) cover that could be used by either you or a BG? Do you know the difference betwen cover and concealment, and how best to use both within your home?
    There is nothing greater than Concealment in any home...
    Cover is something that will Stop a .50 BMG Round every time...
    Anything less and you are going to get hurt...
    Do you know what makes a good "safe room" within your home? If so, have you identified a safe room and is it properly equipped (firearm, ammo, charged cell phone, flashlight with fresh batteries, extra clothing, spare house key)? (Who can tell me what the spare house key is for?)
    Do they make safe roome that are bulldozer proof?!
    Have you identified a position within your safe room that both provides cover to you (and/or others in your household) and also allows you to defend against an entry into the room?
    I like to sit on the toilet, that way when I get the urge to void my bowels I am in the spot to do it. We all know what happens when the BG's Rack a Shotgun...
    In the event that you detect an illegal entry into your home, should you stay in your safe room or "clear" the home?
    Of coarse I clear the House.
    How do you communicate with other family members during a home invasion?
    Generally with Foul Language...
    Do you have a better idea?! :dunno:
    Do you know what to tell the police when you call 911?
    Bring the Meat Wagon and the Coroner. It is about to get a little busy here on my end...
    How should you communicate with the police when they arrive?
    I prefer a Bullhorn myself...
    I have noticed it helps if you have Coffee and Donuts on hand...
    As stated, these are just a few of the MANY issues that we should all be prepared to address - and that should be incorporated into any home defense plan. Unfortunately, too many folks have a plan that consists only of "I will wait for the dog to bark and then get my gun." (Of course, those folks are probably not INGO members.) ;)
    Here are a few answers some in jest, OK most in jest. But with a touch of reality to it. Not all questions in life can be answered with cookie cutter answers. And yes I am one of those guys that rely on My dogs as part of my Security System. Coarse 2 GSD' that are almost not within the Breed Standard and Trained Well can be used in that way... ;)
    Jeremy...

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Not all questions in life can be answered with cookie cutter answers.
    Of course not. And I didn't suggest anything to the contrary.

Personal Protection in the Home doesn't offer any "cookie cutter answers." The course raises issues and possible solutions, and every student is there to formulate his or her own home defense plan, based on his/her own home, family, skill set and training level.

The most important aspect of the course is to raise issues that hadn't been considered before - because the time to start formulating solutions to those issues is now, not in the middle of a home invasion (which was also the purpose of my post).

Does that sound "cookie cutter" to you?

Guy

Last edited:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    What's the spare house key for?

Depending on how the BGs gained entry, you may need to toss the spare key to responding LEOs through an external window so that they can get easily into the house. That's why its even a good idea to have a "glow stick" attached to the spare key. (This also factors into your communication with police - both during the 911 call and afterward.)

That's also one of the reasons why one of the characteristics of a good safe room is to have some form of secure access to the outside.

Guy

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Depending on how the BGs gained entry, you may need to toss the spare key to responding LEOs through an external window so that they can get easily into the house. That's why its even a good idea to have a "glow stick" attached to the spare key. (This also factors into your commuication with police - both during the 911 call and afterward.)

That's also one of the reasons why one of the characteristics of a good safe room is to have some form of secure access to the outside.

Guy
    Thank you. It seems so simple once you point it out.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Of course not. And I didn't suggest anything to the contrary.

Personal Protection in the Home doesn't offer any "cookie cutter answers." The course raises issues and possible solutions, and every student is there to formulate his or her own home defense plan, based on his/her own home, family, skill set and training level.

The most important aspect of the course is to raise issues that hadn't been considered before - because the time to start formulating solutions to those issues is now, not in the middle of a home invasion (which was also the purpose of my post).

Does that sound "cookie cutter" to you?

Guy
    I didn't mean to imply that you were attempting to do that.

To many Persons here do get carried away into the if A happens then I do this. Or if B Event Happens then I need to respond in this fashion. Life is fickle and unpredictable was my point. It is good to have a Guideline that this is how I would like to respond if the BG kicks my Front Door in, but be prepared to change that to HOLY **** someone just drove into my Dining Room...

Jeremy

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I didn't mean to imply that you were attempting to do that.

To many Persons here do get carried away into the if A happens then I do this. Or if B Event Happens then I need to respond in this fashion. Life is fickle and unpredictable was my point. It is good to have a Guideline that this is how I would like to respond if the BG kicks my Front Door in, but be prepared to change that to HOLY **** someone just drove into my Dining Room...

Jeremy

I agree 100%. But the fact that life is fickle and unpredictable shouldn't be a rationale for having no plan. (And I know you weren't suggesting that either.)

Guy

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    1. Do I have a HD plan? Yes. considerable time and money and home renovation has gone into it.

2. Do I intend on posting on the internets for a bunch of random people to know about?

Nope.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I have flood lights with motion detectors. If that doesn't work I have two dogs that will bark when you approach the house but if you get in they will run and get their ball so you can play.

So in that case I have this under my night stand
    IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

My cell phone is on top of the nightstand for a quick call to 911

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Ok so here's a question for those of you who have kids as I do, how do you leave your guns readily accessible ( besides your EDC ) without risking the chance of your child(ren) getting ahold of a loaded gun?

I have often tried to think of ways of doing this and even though I teach my kids that guns are not toys and they respect them let's face it kids are kids and make mistakes just like us adults do from time to time. Also what if your kids had a friend over and they don't know to respect them and that they are not toys?

How do these factors play in to your home defense plan?

What say you?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Ok so here's a question for those of you who have kids as I do, how do you leave your guns readily accessible ( besides your EDC ) without risking the chance of your child(ren) getting ahold of a loaded gun?

I have often tried to think of ways of doing this and even though I teach my kids that guns are not toys and they respect them let's face it kids are kids and make mistakes just like us adults do from time to time. Also what if your kids had a friend over and they don't know to respect them and that they are not toys?

What say you?
    Education and training that starts when they are young...

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Education and training that starts when they are young...

Already covered.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell

What say you?

When my kids were young there was not a chance I would have the setup that I do today. The 45 is the only one that is unlocked even today. I know that one gun is enough but my kids are are older. My daughter is away at college and my son has his LTCH.

When my kids were little I simply put a trigger lock on my home defense handgun and hid the key where I could get to it. Yes, it took a few seconds longer but that was the trade off that I decided was right for me. I believe that training a child is good and right but I will not rest my childrens life on it. What good would it be to be ready to defend against a home invasion when your kids could shoot themselves with your gun on any day of the week?

When grandkids come into the picture then I will be going back to my old ways. Everything else is in a Liberty safe. But that is like pandoras box. Once that baby opens then you have access to everything a boy could need when it comes to stopping an attack:D

Top Bottom