• HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    #occupyeaglecreek

Sorry, I can't make it.

No ranches or bird sanctuaries being close by, I heard a rumor that Kirk is growing a beard and gathering his Lafayette "Volunteers" to take the drive to Eagle Creek and engage in a standoff along side any and all freedom lovers who will join him.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    No ranches or bird sanctuaries being close by, I heard a rumor that Kirk is growing a beard and gathering his Lafayette "Volunteers" to take the drive to Eagle Creek and engage in a standoff along side any and all freedom lovers who will join him.
    Do they have a tank they can send in after him?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, they have been out of compliance for years. What is the penalty? Seems to be "not a thing". They can be out of compliance, even shut it down, and there isn't much recourse. They can maybe, eventually, find some other property to stick a playground on, and call it good? In the meantime, they get to keep all that grant money, but maybe not get more (from the LWCF)? They even get to keep the grant-funded property as-is for their own internal use, but keep the public out of it?

I'm in the wrong business! Need to get me one of these grants.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

His billable hours will certainly take a hit for this. But some sacrifices are worth it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Dude, I wouldn't even grow a beard for Adrianna Lima . . . well, I'd think about it.

I don't need to "occupy" the westside of Indianapolis. My family has been occupying High School Road since dad came back from USAF radio school in 1963.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    So, they have been out of compliance for years. What is the penalty? Seems to be "not a thing". They can be out of compliance, even shut it down, and there isn't much recourse. They can maybe, eventually, find some other property to stick a playground on, and call it good? In the meantime, they get to keep all that grant money, but maybe not get more (from the LWCF)? They even get to keep the grant-funded property as-is for their own internal use, but keep the public out of it?

I'm in the wrong business! Need to get me one of these grants.
    In theory the government could fine or somehow try to collect the value of the land from the grant recipient. Because the majority of the recipients are city and county governments, I've never heard of that happening. Being blacklisted from future LWCF funds is generally what happens. You can imagine the political storm it would create if the feds came in and started demanding funds. In general, conversions are handled properly by recipients, this case is rare. Many conversions aren't even done on purpose, some of these grants were handed out in the 60s and 70s and managers that currently run the park don't even realize there are restrictions on the property. When they find out they do their best to comply. The DNR does it's best to inspect the LWCF recipient properties every 5 years to make sure they are still being used for recreation.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I almost bought today's newspaper. I went to Kroger for my mother and saw today's Headline. "Closed to the Public"
    Does this refer to the Eagle Creek Range closing?
    I did NOT read the rag but I hope the city gets ragged on for this one.
    Oh, I don't use the range btw. For transparency of course.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Dude, I wouldn't even grow a beard for Adrianna Lima . . . well, I'd think about it.

I don't need to "occupy" the westside of Indianapolis. My family has been occupying High School Road since dad came back from USAF radio school in 1963.

Oh please, sure you would. You would also let her eat crackers in bed.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Although I'm not convinced that anyone is telling the full story and I don't like the manner in which the closing was done, the article in the in the Indy Star said that annual public usage of the range had fallen from around 5000 visits a few years ago to 700-800 now. If that's accurate, then I can see some logic in making it LEO-only. I guess I'm not the only person who has been going elsewhere to shoot.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    While I'll miss ECPR, the numbers tell the story. I still have 4 visits left on my discount card. :(
    As someone who oversees recreation properties, I can see why they would shut it down. I know it has not been easy for TFT working with IMPD and the Parks.

The bad part about this was the way it was shut down. TFT should have been allowed to finish out their contract or there should have been an open discussion about options in the light of low attendance.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Bob works in my office here in the DNR. The Indy Star article isn't quite accurate when it comes to the LWCF conversion of the property. The property has been in the conversion process well before now. When the IMPD took greater control of the property and squeezed out the public and limited it too weekends the range lost its public use designation. The recent closing hasn't triggered the conversion, it was already under way. The biggest problem on the grant side has been IMPD not wanting to share the range area with the public.
    Besides weekends, when was it been open to the public before? Between our pistol/shotguns in-services 2 times a year (2 shifts a day,day and evening), patrol rifle in-service 1 to 2 times a year and each recruit class requires 9 weeks of the ranges' undivided attention. Then add new patrol rifle schools that are 1 week each and I can hardly get in there to practice when the range is not in use, let alone the public...outside of week ends. Then we have to provide in-services to all our reserves and those take a few weekends a year since they all have full time regular jobs during the week. The schedule has nothing to do with the Mayor closing it to the public, just throwing it out there that weekend public use will be as good as it gets, if it returns.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    weekend public use will be as good as it gets, if it returns.
    Which is why ECPR has been in violation of their agreement with the LWCF since the beginning. It sounds like IndyParks (well, IndyGov) never intended to use the LWCF grant properly. The only repercussions are a stern "Tsk, Tsk" and locking out the public.

Honestly, I really don't care where LE practices and such. They are welcome to use public ranges. Just not close them for their own convenience, when the money used to build them was intended for PUBLIC use.

Top Bottom