• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Honestly, I really don't care where LE practices and such. They are welcome to use public ranges. Just not close them for their own convenience, when the money used to build them was intended for PUBLIC use.

I'd greatly appreciate it if this weren't spun to blame IMPD. I've worked there (ECPR) for 6.5 of the last 8 years and we've had a good relationship with TFT since they took over as well as the folks who ran it before TFT. The range was not closed to the public at the request of IMPD or anyone who works at the range.

Significant efforts were made by a good friend and former coworker to construct a dedicated range for IMPD years ago. It was an excellent plan, would have provided a much better facility and would have allowed ECPR to be open to the public as much as parks wanted to staff it. Unfortunately it was flushed down the toilet because of the political appointees made by (then) Sheriff Frank Anderson. Once again, the results of Indianapolis voters coming home to roost.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I think Kirk has the most likely explanation, the new mayor is just checking the gun control box on the list of things his political managers expect. Years ago the MCSD started scrapping guns rather than selling them as they had for years, same reason.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Not (wholly, at least) my intent. Someone higher up both your and my food chain made the decision to use a public facility for IMPD needs. I'm sure it started out as a great idea (Hey, we can use the range during the times public shooters don't visit very often). Then "well, sharing is kinda hard". To now, well, it is too expensive to let the public have access to their range. Gotta let the Local Government(s) continue to use it, though.

What's next? IndyParks starts letting the local K9 units train at the Bark Park next door? Then close it to the public, since K9 training is more important?

Not a slam on IMPD or the Sheriff. More a slam on IndyParks and the government officials that will gladly take your money, promise anything you want to hear, and then do pretty much anything they want anyway. This is the same government that builds one stadium after another, and keeps sticking their hands in my pockets for them, so I shouldn't be surprised.

As for the "wholly" part: I've yet to hear anything from IMPD or the Sheriff lamenting on the closure, or how they are looking to work with IndyParks and the public on a better resolution. Something about how "We have a responsibility to provide opportunities for safe training and practice". Maybe I've missed it? In which case, I would gladly retract this last paragraph and thank them for their support.

I know I should "let it go" {HA! Got that song in your head, didn't I?}, but since I also sit on a State Board that deals with the disposition of Federal Funds for recreation, it irks me when someone takes the money and thumbs their nose at both the people that gave it to them, and the public they are supposed to be serving.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My understanding is that IPD has been shooting at that location since 1969(ish). The money in question was for improvements to the existing facility, it did not build a range where there had not been one before. That was before I was born so I do not have extensive knowledge of how things worked but it was not a range initially built with funds intended for public use and taken over by the police department. It was a range built and used by the police department and at some point funds were received for improvements which required opening it to the public.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    phylodog;6441953It was a range built and used by the police department and at some point funds were received for improvements which required opening it to the public.[/QUOTE said:
    Entirely possible. Before my time as well!

I'll get off my soapbox. Doesn't do much for me anyway.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    What bugs me is this Federal funds for local use. The Fed is borrowing money at an astounding rate, then turns around and gives it to local governments as a bribe to get them to do things the way the Fed wants them to.

It is time to turn off the flow. Let the local entities do things themselves, and take back a little bit of control from the Fed.

Well, I can dream anyway.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    While I don't have a horse in this race since I've never been to ECPR, this is part of a disturbing trend and a big loss for the public at large.

I live near Nora and the drive to ECPR is as long as my drive to Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club in Anderson from here.

So, for $60/year I will continue to visit & support FCVCC as they are continually upgrading the facilities there. I love that range and would highly recommend it to anyone who lives close enough to be practical.

There are 10 100yd rifle lanes, 6 5-50yd pistol lanes and a new indoor/outdoor pistol range with target trolleys as well as one new 200yd rifle lane equipped with video spotting system and remote target changer.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I'd greatly appreciate it if this weren't spun to blame IMPD. I've worked there (ECPR) for 6.5 of the last 8 years and we've had a good relationship with TFT since they took over as well as the folks who ran it before TFT. The range was not closed to the public at the request of IMPD or anyone who works at the range.

Significant efforts were made by a good friend and former coworker to construct a dedicated range for IMPD years ago. It was an excellent plan, would have provided a much better facility and would have allowed ECPR to be open to the public as much as parks wanted to staff it. Unfortunately it was flushed down the toilet because of the political appointees made by (then) Sheriff Frank Anderson. Once again, the results of Indianapolis voters coming home to roost.

IMPD deserves exactly ZERO blame for the closing of ECPR to the public. Lt. True and his staff of instructors at ECPR have been GREAT partners over the past five years and IMPD has been very supportive of the public's use of the range on weekends. In fact, the city's refusal to invest the funds necessary to upgrade ECPR to a facility worthy of the men and women of IMPD in general and the Training Division in particular is the greatest travesty in all of this.

Indy has a world-class training division and a police department that deserves much more than a third-world training facility.

Guy

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Indianapolis City County Councilman Jack Sandlin issued a press release today on the closing of ECPR to the public:

Sandlin PR 1.jpgSandlin PR 2.jpg

We thank Councilman Sandlin for his comments.

Guy

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Thanks for sharing, Guy.

As soon as I figure out the "in real life" rep system, I'll send a +1 to the good Councilman.

Seriously, though, I'll have my in-laws (Indy residents) send his office a thank-you.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Just sent a note of thanks to Councilman Sandlin. Also sent an e-mail to my Councilwoman, Colleen Fanning, who is on the Parks and Recreation Committee. I asked her to support Mr. Sandlin and referenced the statement he released. Also expressed the disappointment of the Indianapolis gun owning community and myself to the closing of ECPR to the public , especially without involvement of the City/County Council. Will post any response received.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Indianapolis City County Councilman Jack Sandlin issued a press release today on the closing of ECPR to the public:

View attachment 46145View attachment 46146

We thank Councilman Sandlin for his comments.

Guy

Similar statement made by Jeff Coats as well on Tony Katz this morning. He also stated the city administration was requiring drastically more liability insurance for ECPR than other local ranges. He said the excuses given so far did not stand with him or other Republicans on the Council.

If I recall correctly he said there was a meeting that took place recently and some people were from Indy Parks that were ready to address the issue of the range being closed and it was gaveled closed before it could be addressed. He said the person who held the gavel was ....... a Democrat. Imagine that.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    electing democrats will always have consequences against your rights. And now the republicans sound like democrats on taxes, and many other things, ban this, ban that, ban cold medicine, etc. Why is freedom so hard to sell? Because buying votes with tax payer money is just much easier than freedom.

Indycar:v1.1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Not close enuf to the track
    IMPD needs to grab about 50 acres of the noise reduction area across I-70 from the airport and build a proprietary range there.The ECPR would be vacated and then revert to original control of the Indy DPR as a full time public range. That would make the facilitycompliant to the requirements of the Fed funds spent on the facility.That would also mean the CCC, IMPD & MCS would have to suckle the Federal tit for law enforcement funds instead of using Fed parks funding!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    IMPD needs to grab about 50 acres of the noise reduction area across I-70 from the airport and build a proprietary range there.The ECPR would be vacated and then revert to original control of the Indy DPR as a full time public range. That would make the facilitycompliant to the requirements of the Fed funds spent on the facility.That would also mean the CCC, IMPD & MCS would have to suckle the Federal tit for law enforcement funds instead of using Fed parks funding!

BEST. IDEA. EVAR!!!!

LOTS of area around the airport that used to be houses that is no more due to noise. A bit more noise wont hurt anyone. (and enough overhead baffles and you dont have to worry about high speed airborne lead coming in contact erroneously with high speed aluminum.

I'd be willing to chuck in an additional couple bucks a year on my taxes to fund it if it means y'all get ECPR back.

Top Bottom