• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Is there not some law that prohibits regulation of firearms at a municipal level?

If there is an issue with the federal funds that led to the range's construction, that's an issue which will apparently be determined, but barring that and contracts the city needs to honor, governmental entities can close their own facilities if they want to. Closing a city owned range is not the regulation of firearms.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    If there is an issue with the federal funds that led to the range's construction, that's an issue which will apparently be determined, but barring that and contracts the city needs to honor, governmental entities can close their own facilities if they want to. Closing a city owned range is not the regulation of firearms.

Gotcha. That's what I was leaning towards. Makes sense.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indy Star article.
    Eagle Creek Pistol Range closes to public after 35 years amid contract dispute

Actually did a pretty good job with it, IMHO.

Now, the city is turning its attention to meeting federal guidelines moving forward.
    Converting the site to another park amenity isn't on the table. The City-County Council last year budgeted $1.1 million for repairs to the range, a move that would keep IMPD there for the foreseeable future.
    That leaves the city with only one other option: convert other land around the city into outdoor park space to replace it.
    Parks officials have identified a number of parcels around the city currently owned by the nonprofit Indianapolis Parks Foundation that could be used for new parks.
    But meeting the federal rules may be easier said than done. The replacement land has to be of equal value to the firing range, and because of nearby Intech business park, the range’s assessed value came in higher than expected – upwards of $3.1 million.
    The foundation land came in at around $1.1 million, but officials are optimistic they can bridge the gap through reassessments and ongoing negotiations with the state.

Hmmm... reassessing to pay for stuff they can't afford. Didn't realize Hogsett was from Carmel.

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    Indy Star article.

Hmmm... reassessing to pay for stuff they can't afford. Didn't realize Hogsett was from Carmel.

I have never felt dumb until I became an adult a decade and a half ago and heard people talk financial double speak.. If I'm reading that right, they "owe" the people of Indianapolis $3.1 million for taking the range, they have a parcel of land that's not currently being used (but is part of a Indy Parks Foundation? Tell me how a private nonprofit owns city land? I'm kinda lost) that is currently valued at $1.1m leaving a deficit of $2 million owed to the people.. Right? I'm with you so far?

So instead of finding more land, or improving the value of the current parcel with improvements or what-have-you, to bridge the gap.. they say "Hey, can you come quote me a price for this land I've got? I need it to be worth more than it is." Or they go to the state and say "I know we actually owe you $3.1 million, but perhaps you'd be willing to overlook that and take this thingamabob I have here worth 1/3 of that?"

Is there something I'm missing? I see a little red at the corners of my eyes when trying to wrap my head around this stuff.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Indy Star article.

It's not just Carmel. They did the same thing when they capped property taxes at 1%. Sounded great on its face until they promptly proceeded to declare that everyone's property suddenly was "reassessed" for much higher values. Just another one of the great government sleight of hand tricks.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It's not just Carmel. They did the same thing when they capped property taxes at 1%. Sounded great on its face until they promptly proceeded to declare that everyone's property suddenly was "reassessed" for much higher values. Just another one of the great government sleight of hand tricks.
    I'm sure you don't believe that they wouldn't have reassessed anyway.

Our overlords are always looking to find ways to leave us less of their wealth.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have never felt dumb until I became an adult a decade and a half ago and heard people talk financial double speak.. If I'm reading that right, they "owe" the people of Indianapolis $3.1 million for taking the range, they have a parcel of land that's not currently being used (but is part of a Indy Parks Foundation? Tell me how a private nonprofit owns city land? I'm kinda lost) that is currently valued at $1.1m leaving a deficit of $2 million owed to the people.. Right? I'm with you so far?

So instead of finding more land, or improving the value of the current parcel with improvements or what-have-you, to bridge the gap.. they say "Hey, can you come quote me a price for this land I've got? I need it to be worth more than it is." Or they go to the state and say "I know we actually owe you $3.1 million, but perhaps you'd be willing to overlook that and take this thingamabob I have here worth 1/3 of that?"

Is there something I'm missing? I see a little red at the corners of my eyes when trying to wrap my head around this stuff.

Indy is turning itself around. It has goals. It has plans.
    It is going to enroll in college in the fall.
    How else do you expect it to make the money it needs for clothes to wear. And stuff.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around

This is an example of why the hard-working tax-paying portion of the public-at-large is so very angry at politicians and all levels of gov't. The shenanigans and corruption going on just about everywhere nationwide is simply beyond the pale.

Hogsett will pay any price: 1) it's not his money, 2) attacking the RKBA is a station of the Cross for the Left.

^^^Repped^^^

bigbore

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Indy S Side
    I agree the star did a good job. They said the administration is looking for an alternate site, not sure where that would be. I am not buying it is about the money argument. All parks cost money, they are not supposed to generate income.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    I believe when they say alternate site they are talking about the conversion for the recreation land, not another shooting range. Because federal money was spent at the park and at the shooting range to create a recreational opportunity, the federal government expects it to stay that way. If you close it to the the public, or convert it to some non-recreational use you are required to find land of equal value to open up for recreation. Until you do, you can't get any more LWCF money, Indy Parks has been out of compliance for many years now.

Dunno - but I've asked the question. That would be:

Bob Bronson
    State & Community Outdoor Recreation Planning Section
    Division of Outdoor Recreation
    Indiana Department of Natural Resources
    402 West Washington Street, Room 271
    Indianapolis, Indiana 46204-2782
    (317) 232-4070
    Fax: (317) 233-4648
    Email: bbronson@dnr.IN.gov

Bob works in my office here in the DNR. The Indy Star article isn't quite accurate when it comes to the LWCF conversion of the property. The property has been in the conversion process well before now. When the IMPD took greater control of the property and squeezed out the public and limited it too weekends the range lost its public use designation. The recent closing hasn't triggered the conversion, it was already under way. The biggest problem on the grant side has been IMPD not wanting to share the range area with the public.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I believe when they say alternate site they are talking about the conversion for the recreation land, not another shooting range. Because federal money was spent at the park and at the shooting range to create a recreational opportunity, the federal government expects it to stay that way. If you close it to the the public, or convert it to some non-recreational use you are required to find land of equal value to open up for recreation. Until you do, you can't get any more LWCF money, Indy Parks has been out of compliance for many years now.

Bob works in my office here in the DNR. The Indy Star article isn't quite accurate when it comes to the LWCF conversion of the property. The property has been in the conversion process well before now. When the IMPD took greater control of the property and squeezed out the public and limited it too weekends the range lost its public use designation. The recent closing hasn't triggered the conversion, it was already under way. The biggest problem on the grant side has been IMPD not wanting to share the range area with the public.
    My mommy told me to share my toys and not be stingy.

Top Bottom