0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Nice! A hog hunt is something I've been getting more and more interested in.
    I agree, it almost makes me wish we had them around here but then i think of all the damage and death they cause so i am glad they are not, but they would be fun to hunt!

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I have watched a couple of the shows, and heard nothing about relocating the hogs, but butchering and donating the meat was mentioned 3or 4 times. IMO a suspressed 308 with night optics would be way more fun and effective than dogs.

Last edited:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I've watched this show one time, and found it boring. Seems to me they are just slapping anything on T.V. just to see if it gets ratings for them. I watched another show on Discovery I think, that was called "Pig Bomb". That was more of a documentary than a regular show, but it was good. The pigs are becoming a real problem down south and I know if I lived there we would be eating lots of pork! I have never hunted pig, but it does look like fun.:)

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Nice! A hog hunt is something I've been getting more and more interested in.

It is a LOT of fun. We hunt them at night over bait here in OK. They are basically nocturnal here so you have to hunt at night. If you want to hunt during the day, thats when dogs would help tremendously.

They are fun to hunt but not fun to deal with if you are a landowner. The ranch that we hunt on is 2500 acres. The hogs will completely destroy several acres in a night. It is quite shocking to see some of the rooting damage that they cause.

On another note, wild hog meat is Delicious! I have about 100lbs left in my freezer and will hopefully triple that this weekend.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    It is a LOT of fun. We hunt them at night over bait here in OK. They are basically nocturnal here so you have to hunt at night. If you want to hunt during the day, thats when dogs would help tremendously.

They are fun to hunt but not fun to deal with if you are a landowner. The ranch that we hunt on is 2500 acres. The hogs will completely destroy several acres in a night. It is quite shocking to see some of the rooting damage that they cause.

On another note, wild hog meat is Delicious! I have about 100lbs left in my freezer and will hopefully triple that this weekend.
    Lucky man, lucky man.;)

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    Sometimes you just can't help it...lol :laugh:

Obviously...:n00b:

Nice. I'll be back home (LAWTON) this summer. I miss Fort Sill :D

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I watch this show and they do mention donating the meat. They try as much at possible to take the hogs alive and I would assume that the reason they do this is so they have more time to line up someone to process them. A shot hog in Texas, Florida or Hawaii heat isn't going to last too long. A hobbled hog could be kept around until you had several, and someone lined up to work them up. This is just my guess though.

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I watch this show and they do mention donating the meat. They try as much at possible to take the hogs alive and I would assume that the reason they do this is so they have more time to line up someone to process them. A shot hog in Texas, Florida or Hawaii heat isn't going to last too long. A hobbled hog could be kept around until you had several, and someone lined up to work them up. This is just my guess though.

That makes sense to me. :yesway:

Hoosier49er

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    In Germany they still hunt these things with dogs, spears and cutlasses. They say it's a good hunt if they only loose a couple of dogs... I used to see/hear them all the time when I was stationed there. Scary critters, when all you have is blanks... We used to keep a six inch piece of cleaning rod on top of our first blank, just in case one of 'em got a little too close. (I wouldn't recommend doing this with your personal rifles.)

Endofdays

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Anyone seen this show? while i have never been up close and personal with a wild boar, it seems like this show does a lot of unnecessary things. For example, they are in a truck spot lighting for boars. They come across one that doesn't run off and just stands there fat dumb and happy in an open field. They let 3 dogs out after him and he doesnt run, stands his ground and tries to fight the dogs off. The two trappers jump on the hog and wrestle it until they say this ones to big, kill it. they pull out knifes and stab the hog until it dies. Why not just do the simple thing, and shoot it instead of having the dogs run the risk of getting hurt or killed.Not only that but it would save the hog a lot of pain. One simple shot could of saved me 10 mins of watching these fools harass a pig, and gut it like Barbarians. Any one else share my thoughts?

Ratings. That's my guess. I agree with you that most of the actions they do in this show are straight up BS. Look like they are putting on a show for city folk who have either never hunted, held a firearm or possibly never even walked into the woods on a calm afternoon. I am surprised that the Discovery networks let this show roll out on their airwaves. I get that they are a problem. The way they go about educating the general public about it is embarrassing.

whackmaster66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I have been boar hunting in TN and the guy we hunted with used Pittbulls to catch them.. Then you had a choice of shooting it with a gun, bow, or stabbing it with a knife or a spear... Kind of wild up close and personal and i have meat in my deep freeze for that hunt... I guess you can say that they are fools or Barbarians but wild hogs multiply like rats and they can tear up farmland and forest when their rooting around for food... Plus they are very dangerous for pets and little kids that accidently come across these animals by mistake.... They need to be managed properly just like deer.... Believe it or not Indiana has a Wild hog population in southern Indiana and could be in Central Indiana within the next few yrs..... You will know what i'm talking about when your face to face with these animals..

Top Bottom