• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Are you trying to say that government employees do not deserve the dollar(s) they EARN?
    If so, I call BS and raise the BS flag high.

No, most of them don't. I would say that government at all levels is over-staffed by about 50% to 60%.

If people who work for the government actually had to worry about losing their job, you would see a lot more work getting done.

I see you are from the Terre Haute area, as am I. Walk into the Vigo County courthouse and honestly tell me if you ever see anybody working hard.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Are you trying to say that government employees do not deserve the dollar(s) they EARN?
    If so, I call BS and raise the BS flag high.

If government employees are a good thing, let's just nationalize the entire US economy and all draw our checks from uncle sugar.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I see you are from the Terre Haute area, as am I. Walk into the Vigo County courthouse and honestly tell me if you ever see anybody working hard.
    What you will see are employees who leave their desks to take smoke breaks every half hour in addition to their 1-2 hour lunches. They will come back to their offices, text on their phones, and talk to each other. When you, the taxpayer, walk through the door to pick up something you ordered weeks ago you will be told that they don't have it because they are overworked and too busy.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    No, most of them don't. I would say that government at all levels is over-staffed by about 50% to 60%.

If people who work for the government actually had to worry about losing their job, you would see a lot more work getting done.

Seriously? State Government is what YOU ARE talking about.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    If government employees are a good thing, let's just nationalize the entire US economy and all draw our checks from uncle sugar.

Im not sure what cave you are living in and obviously never leave but what exactly do you think federal employees service? Ever heard of the Federal Marshalls? Any clue as to what they do? How about the FBI or F.A.A. or USDA? I hate to be the one to break it to you but without those you would either starve to death or be killed one way or another.

I work for the F.A.A. Are you going to let your mother, daughter or wife fly in an aircraft when the F.A.A. furloughs a bunch of its people or lays off because you think they arent needed? Who exactly do you think takes care of the ground electronics used by aircraft for navigation? What do you think happens when a plane gets lost because of no navigation signal and runs out of fuel? Who's yard/house do you think they are going to fall on?
    Do I really need to educate you on what the USDA, FBI and many many others do to keep the U.S. alive, operational and safe?

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Any clue as to what they do? How about the FBI or F.A.A. or USDA? I hate to be the one to break it to you but without those you would either starve to death or be killed one way or another.

I work for the F.A.A. Are you going to let your mother, daughter or wife fly in an aircraft when the F.A.A. furloughs a bunch of its people or lays off because you think they arent needed?

I'm sorry to bust your bubble here, but the government shouldn't own the sky. I do not need the government "protecting" me while I am on a private aircraft. Without the F.A.A. airlines would simply manage their own safety. A company with a poor safety record would go out of business quickly and the customers would chose to fly on a safe airline. I don't seem to remember the absolute chaos that was air travel before 1958 when the FAA was formed.

Do I really need to educate you on what the USDA, FBI and many many others do to keep the U.S. alive, operational and safe?

:laugh:

Yes you do need to educate me about how I would starve without the USDA. Please tell me about all of the horrible famines that were sweeping across the USA before this government agency was formed. I'm sure if it wasn't for this bureaucracy I would quite literally be withering away.

You should also educate me about the horrible violence and destruction that occurred before the FBI was formed in 1908. I must have missed the part of history class where the USA in the 1890's was like modern day Syria with terrorists and murders wandering the streets.

I don't need to government to feed me and say "everything will be alright, we're here to protect you."

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm sorry to bust your bubble here, but the government shouldn't own the sky. I do not need the government "protecting" me while I am on a private aircraft. Without the F.A.A. airlines would simply manage their own safety. A company with a poor safety record would go out of business quickly and the customers would chose to fly on a safe airline. I don't seem to remember the absolute chaos that was air travel before 1958 when the FAA was formed.

:laugh:

Yes you do need to educate me about how I would starve without the USDA. Please tell me about all of the horrible famines that were sweeping across the USA before this government agency was formed. I'm sure if it wasn't for this bureaucracy I would quite literally be withering away.

You should also educate me about the horrible violence and destruction that occurred before the FBI was formed in 1908. I must have missed the part of history class where the USA in the 1890's was like modern day Syria with terrorists and murders wandering the streets.

I don't need to government to feed me and say "everything will be alright, we're here to protect you."

This

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    As a soldier, I never saw the point in having federal taxes taken out of my check. Instead of giving me $100 and taxing me $20, why didn't they just give me $80? Then that'd be less work for the oxygen thieves at the IRS.

Yeah... I never understood that either. I wonder if they take taxes out of welfare checks?

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    EVERY recipient of a government dollar says not my dollar. So let's go full steam ahead.

YOU are wrong.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I would gladly give up the 20% of my pay that they will be taking through the furlough, If it was going to actually make a difference, and if the GOV would actually make the cuts where they need to.

But the fact is, that taking money and cutting the hours of the employees, is not going to acomplish a damn thing in the long run.

Mustang380gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Ohio's Amish Country
    YOU are wrong.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I would gladly give up the 20% of my pay that they will be taking through the furlough, If it was going to actually make a difference, and if the GOV would actually make the cuts where they need to.

But the fact is, that taking money and cutting the hours of the employees, is not going to acomplish a damn thing in the long run.

And I am certain that the writers of the sequester know this. There are myriad ways of cutting funds, yet they chose to make the ones that are most painful to normal Americans. It's a way for them to get what they want (taxes and control) same as school systems do by cutting bus service.

It must have been Quinn and Rose on the radio out of Pittsburg who were talking about FAA big-wigs who take training trips which cost a lot of money, far more than the pay cuts would cost. Instead of eliminating the trips, which would hurt no one by the lack, they cut salaries which hurt a lot.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    YOU are wrong.

Of course it won't make a difference. The government receives roughly $2.2 trillion in revenues and there are enough recipients to claim $3.5+ trillion. We need about a 40% cut of ALL spending just to eliminate the annual deficit. Then we need to decide how much more we need to cut to pay off the $16+ trillion in debt.

A government employee paycheck is written with funds borrowed from generations not even born yet. Not my dollar.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    And I am certain that the writers of the sequester know this. There are myriad ways of cutting funds, yet they chose to make the ones that are most painful to normal Americans. It's a way for them to get what they want (taxes and control) same as school systems do by cutting bus service.

It must have been Quinn and Rose on the radio out of Pittsburg who were talking about FAA big-wigs who take training trips which cost a lot of money, far more than the pay cuts would cost. Instead of eliminating the trips, which would hurt no one by the lack, they cut salaries which hurt a lot.

Rather than each individual losing their dollar, they will collectively demand we stay the course. Who cares if our children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren get stuck with the bill. Not my dollar.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    Before I go ranting away, let me add the disclaimer that my better half works in public safety, so our bills and insurance are indeed paid for my the good citizens of Marion County.

That being said....without a USDA, would Monsanto be such a huge influence that cripples the farmers ability to buy and use the seed he chooses? Agriculture subsidies equal Monsanto subsidies.

Without an FDA, would we all drop dead from poisonous food and medicine? NO! An entire new sector of accreditation/compliance organizations could sprout. Ever heard of UL?! Underwriters Laboratories has been privately ensuring the safety of consumer products for over a century. Personally, I would prefer buy products that have been seemed safe by a third party for my family. If you want to get tomatos a little cheaper but have to wash them a little more and maybe cut out infestations, thats on you. If we want to eat cheese made with raw milk, we should have the freedom to. If my son gets sick and I am willing to try an experimental medication on him, I should have that option.

Like JDMAC79 said, the FAA isn't essential either! Either airlines will police themselves.....or more likely they will do what pretty much EVERY OTHER INDUSTRY DOES, form an oversight commission that operates air traffic control centers and performs inspections.

The simple fact is, a profit motive gives the incentive to organizations to operate leanly and highly efficient. When funding is compelled by the barrel of a gun, what incentive is there to do anything but grow and create entanglements that make your position relevent?

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Of course it won't make a difference. The government receives roughly $2.2 trillion in revenues and there are enough recipients to claim $3.5+ trillion. We need about a 40% cut of ALL spending just to eliminate the annual deficit. Then we need to decide how much more we need to cut to pay off the $16+ trillion in debt.

A government employee paycheck is written with funds borrowed from generations not even born yet. Not my dollar.

You are correct, that there needs to be massive government spending cuts. I volunteer 20% of my pay, Anyone else going to step up and help?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Im not sure what cave you are living in and obviously never leave but what exactly do you think federal employees service? Ever heard of the Federal Marshalls? Any clue as to what they do? How about the FBI or F.A.A. or USDA? I hate to be the one to break it to you but without those you would either starve to death or be killed one way or another.

I work for the F.A.A. Are you going to let your mother, daughter or wife fly in an aircraft when the F.A.A. furloughs a bunch of its people or lays off because you think they arent needed? Who exactly do you think takes care of the ground electronics used by aircraft for navigation? What do you think happens when a plane gets lost because of no navigation signal and runs out of fuel? Who's yard/house do you think they are going to fall on?
    Wow! All of my adult life I've worried about the future of myself and my loved ones, and now, at the age of 46, I find out it was all worry for nothing, the Gubmint is looking out for me in every aspect of my life. My tears of joy fall like rain! I love my gubmint, we needs mo gubmint!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You are correct, that there needs to be massive government spending cuts. I volunteer 20% of my pay, Anyone else going to step up and help?

I don't receive a government paycheck and I don't demand government programs. I also don't vote for the candidates who do. I don't care if it's food stamps or bombs. We don't have the money for it. But the American population won't do without their dollar.

Who is John Galt?

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I don't receive a government paycheck and I don't demand government programs. I also don't vote for the candidates who do. I don't care if it's food stamps or bombs. We don't have the money for it. But the American population won't do without their dollar.

Who is John Galt?

No one said that you do. ETA: I notice that you state: " I don't demand government programs". Am I correct in assuming that you still use them?

So, are you not an american? I'm confused. Are you somehow able to make it through life with out money?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    No one said that you do. ETA: I notice that you state: " I don't demand government programs". Am I correct in assuming that you still use them?

So, are you not an american? I'm confused. Are you somehow able to make it through life with out money?

I'd love to start with a 50% cut in all federal spending tomorrow and revisit another 50% in a year. I've argued that government should not be operating shooting ranges and people here argue that it's a legitimate government expenditure. I've made very few friends here with my positions on government spending. One persons welfare dollar is another persons shooting range dollar. Neither are constitutional. Yet they both demand those dollars. One can argue the merit of either dollar all they want. But it's still unconstitutional.

Top Bottom