• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I'd love to start with a 50% cut in all federal spending tomorrow and revisit another 50% in a year. I've argued that government should not be operating shooting ranges and people here argue that it's a legitimate government expenditure. I've made very few friends here with my positions on government spending. One persons welfare dollar is another persons shooting range dollar. Neither are constitutional. Yet they both demand those dollars. One can argue the merit of either dollar all they want. But it's still unconstitutional.

I am sure that you're views on government spending and mine are more in line than you think.
    So what do you think the Federal government Should spend money on?

Also you didn't answer my questions.

Money has nothing to do with government, nor being an American. Money is anything that is used as a proxy for trade or barter.

That was a specific question directed at a specific individual. Not one in need of some sweeping generalization of "what money is". You should read the post that I quoted before responding to mine.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I am sure that you're views on government spending and mine are more in line than you think.
    So what do you think the Federal government Should spend money on?

Also you didn't answer my questions.

That was a specific question directed at a specific individual. Not one in need of some sweeping generalization of "what money is". You should read the post that I quoted before responding to mine.

The federal government should spend money on the things the constitution grants them the power to.

Do I use government programs? Can one set foot out of their house in the morning without a government program being involved by choice or not?

If you want to see how out of control spending is, go find a rural community newspaper. Mine only comes out weekly and almost every week, there's at least 1 story about the application for a state or federal grant, new school spending or programs, economic development garbage, etc. The Feds have their tentacles in almost everything all the way down to rural communities. These grants are like crack to towns that can't live within their means. If the general population of farm town Indiana wants Sarah Palin from Wasilla, Alaska to help pay for their new bridge, how the hell does farm town Indiana demand Washington, D.C. Get their house in order?

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    The federal government should spend money on the things the constitution grants them the power to.

Do I use government programs? Can one set foot out of their house in the morning without a government program being involved by choice or not?

If you want to see how out of control spending is, go find a rural community newspaper. Mine only comes out weekly and almost every week, there's at least 1 story about the application for a state or federal grant, new school spending or programs, economic development garbage, etc. The Feds have their tentacles in almost everything all the way down to rural communities. These grants are like crack to towns that can't live within their means. If the general population of farm town Indiana wants Sarah Palin from Wasilla, Alaska to help pay for their new bridge, how the hell does farm town Indiana demand Washington, D.C. Get their house in order?

Correct. I agree with you. The Fed has no business spending money on the majority of the crap they do, there is absolutely no reason that the Dept of Education needs a SWAT team, hell there is not really a reason that there needs to be a Federal Dept of Education. But that doesn't explain your angst toward me and my paycheck. Also the constitution does provide congress with the power to levy taxes to pay for post roads, so if mail is going to be carried over said bridge, then it could be construed that they can pay for said bridge.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Correct. I agree with you. The Fed has no business spending money on the majority of the crap they do, there is absolutely no reason that the Dept of Education needs a SWAT team, hell there is not really a reason that there needs to be a Federal Dept of Education. But that doesn't explain your angst toward me and my paycheck. Also the constitution does provide congress with the power to levy taxes to pay for post roads, so if mail is going to be carried over said bridge, then it could be construed that they can pay for said bridge.

My angst is toward those who carry angst against the taxpayers who are tired of footing the bill. I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for government employees who've been largely shielded from this 5 year recession when those of us in the private sector haven't.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I'm sorry to bust your bubble here, but the government shouldn't own the sky. I do not need the government "protecting" me while I am on a private aircraft. Without the F.A.A. airlines would simply manage their own safety. A company with a poor safety record would go out of business quickly and the customers would chose to fly on a safe airline. I don't seem to remember the absolute chaos that was air travel before 1958 when the FAA was formed.

:laugh:

Yes you do need to educate me about how I would starve without the USDA. Please tell me about all of the horrible famines that were sweeping across the USA before this government agency was formed. I'm sure if it wasn't for this bureaucracy I would quite literally be withering away.

You should also educate me about the horrible violence and destruction that occurred before the FBI was formed in 1908. I must have missed the part of history class where the USA in the 1890's was like modern day Syria with terrorists and murders wandering the streets.

I don't need to government to feed me and say "everything will be alright, we're here to protect you."
    You are entirely correct, you do need educated. You think the "FAA" has only existed since 1958? Yes, by that name it did but it was called Aeronautics Branch, Bureau of Air Commerce prior to that. You actually believe Air Traffic Controllers arent needed? That right there proves just how profoundly ignorant you are on the matter. Go do some reading and LOTS OF IT then maybe get back to me. You might want to stick with baby steps starting with the FAA then maybe try the USDA, FBI and so on.

BTW You do realize that there werent any jet engines blasting away in the skies prior to 1952, right?

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Good luck with that. Considering the best the 2 major parties could offer was Obama and Anybody But Obama. Those 2 are what the people want. The people want their dollar. The one who wanted to take those dollars got 1% of the vote. I feel the same about the government employee's dollar as I do the welfare queen's dollar. It's mine and it's not theirs to take.

My name is John, and I am a government worker.
    I pay taxes
    I provide a service and products for the paycheck I receive.
    Someone has to do the work.

If a contractor is hired to replace me (because someone has to do the work), the contract worker makes less than I do and the contract company makes a profit and it costs the Government more $ than if they just kept paying me. That is bad for the taxpayer, not good.

Sure, there is a lot of waste built into the system, you dont have to tell me that, I see it first hand.

Just saying get rid of all the government workers isnt the answer.

Trimming waste is part of the answer. Crane could take a 25% budget cut and get the same job done.

Sorry, all the branch's secretaries cant go to the week long engineering conference in Hawaii this year (that they never even show up to)
    Sorry, no new leather office furniture this year.
    Sotty, you dont need a new fully loaded Nascar-type tool box
    Sorry, no big bonuses for the high grades this year
    Sorry, at the end of the fiscal year, the bosses wont be coming around saying " we have a million dollers we need to spend, buy what ever you want"... I s**t you not!

Reducing the taxes a worker pays and upping the import taxes is another part of the answer.

:twocents:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I pay taxes

If a contractor is hired to replace me (because someone has to do the work), the contract worker makes less than I do and the contract company makes a profit and it costs the Government more $ than if they just kept paying me. That is bad for the taxpayer, not good.

Sure, there is a lot of waste built into the system, you dont have to tell me that, I see it first hand.

Trimming waste is part of the answer. Crane could take a 25% budget cut and get the same job done.

Sorry, all the branch's secretaries cant go to the week long engineering conference in Hawaii this year (that they never even show up to)
    Sorry, at the end of the fiscal year, the bosses wont be coming around saying " we have a million dollers we need to spend, buy what ever you want"... I s**t you not!

Reducing the taxes a worker pays and upping the import taxes is another part of the answer.

The furniture and tool box manufacturers lobby and vote for those sales. As does every other business that provides goods to government.

They can't cut tuition assistance to the military without it being viewed as a right and entitlement. Do you think crane is going to concede 25% of its budget?

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bill Clinton cut the federal work force in half, from 3 million to 1.5 million. Then started the contractor programs so that his buddies could get federal pay while being elected to local office. We now have 8.5 million contractors working in federal agencies, working along side the federal workers (govees). If you have one GS-12 then there will be four to six contractors all doing the same work.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    When this furlough go into effect, $6 billion won't go into the economy.
    You mean the $6B of the $10B that was confiscated from tax payers? The only merit in your argument is that it has already been confiscated and is now worthless, so the taxpayers have already taken it up the tailpipe but have absolutely nothing to show for it.

Do I really need to educate you on what the USDA, FBI and many many others do to keep the U.S. alive, operational and safe?
    Um, yeah, because I contend that they don't do anything to keep me alive. The only way your argument can even remotely be true is if there is no other alternative to provide the same service. You're saying that nobody would wanna make a cool million running the same scam in the private sector?

You are entirely correct, you do need educated. You think the "FAA" has only existed since 1958? Yes, by that name it did but it was called Aeronautics Branch, Bureau of Air Commerce prior to that. You actually believe Air Traffic Controllers arent needed? That right there proves just how profoundly ignorant you are on the matter. Go do some reading and LOTS OF IT then maybe get back to me. You might want to stick with baby steps starting with the FAA then maybe try the USDA, FBI and so on.

BTW You do realize that there werent any jet engines blasting away in the skies prior to 1952, right?

:laugh: Only in your world would you think that elimination of federal control means elimination of the position.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    So many private sector people have lost their jobs entirely, the average armerican brings home $4,000 less under obama, gov't benefits are awesome and so is pay for what they do compared to the private sector. the military should never have any pay or benefits decreased, all other federal workers salaries should be cut in half and have 25% of them fired, EPA-gone, IRS-gone, its real simple, but no democrat would ever win if we did the right thing in this country.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    You are entirely correct, you do need educated. You think the "FAA" has only existed since 1958? Yes, by that name it did but it was called Aeronautics Branch, Bureau of Air Commerce prior to that. You actually believe Air Traffic Controllers arent needed? That right there proves just how profoundly ignorant you are on the matter. Go do some reading and LOTS OF IT then maybe get back to me.

What a surprise, you are unable to provide what you claim is a much needed education.
    So let me get this straight: If there were only planes with propellers in the sky we wouldn't need government regulation, but with jets we do need it?

You are correct when you say that air traffic controllers are needed, but are wholly incorrect with your belief that the government should provide them. If our always caring and benevolent government didn't have air traffic controllers the private sector would provide them. More likely than not the private air traffic controllers would be better, cheaper, and a more flexible workforce than what the government could come up with.

It is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that the government is the only entity responsible enough to manage aviation in this country. If you opened your eyes to what is happening in this country you would realize that the government botches nearly everything that it gets involved with.

One of the major problems in this country is people like you who want the government to provide cradle to grave food, protection, and regulation.

You might want to stick with baby steps starting with the FAA then maybe try the USDA, FBI and so on.

We are not going to forget that gem of comment you made about the FDA and FBI. Even though you work for the FAA please address these other agencies.

I'm still anxiously awaiting your explanation of how I would be starving without the FDA. I'd also like to know your reasoning as to how the FBI is crucial to my very existence.

2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy
    I pay taxes

:rockwoot:

You people need to realize that Johnny and I have absolutely no control of what goes on in the government budgets. (along with most of the 800k people getting furloughed) Your anger is directed at us for wasting money, buying too much and being over manned. Your anger should be directed at the folks that are on the ballets every 2/4/6 years. They control the funding and BY FAR have better paychecks, retire plans and so much better insurance. I have co-workers making less than $40k a year that will be taking a 20% pay cut and are trying to figure out how to pay for childcare, the electric bill and the mortgage. Which one goes unpayed this month?

Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Seriously? State Government is what YOU ARE talking about.

Are you saying that the Vigo county courthouse is efficient? That everybody there is crucial to the function of Vigo county? Get serious.

Walk into the code enforcement office sometime. They will let you stand there for 10 minutes before they get done playing on the computer.

Don't even get me started on the number of vehicles the county owns. Does every Vigo county employee have a take home vehicle?

Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Im not sure what cave you are living in and obviously never leave but what exactly do you think federal employees service? Ever heard of the Federal Marshalls? Any clue as to what they do? How about the FBI or F.A.A. or USDA? I hate to be the one to break it to you but without those you would either starve to death or be killed one way or another.

I work for the F.A.A. Are you going to let your mother, daughter or wife fly in an aircraft when the F.A.A. furloughs a bunch of its people or lays off because you think they arent needed? Who exactly do you think takes care of the ground electronics used by aircraft for navigation? What do you think happens when a plane gets lost because of no navigation signal and runs out of fuel? Who's yard/house do you think they are going to fall on?
    Do I really need to educate you on what the USDA, FBI and many many others do to keep the U.S. alive, operational and safe?

Would you believe any of this if your paycheck didn't come from the federal governmnent?

Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    I work for the F.A.A.

Please tell me you don't work at that boondoggle known as Terre Haute Internationl (what a joke) Airport?

Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012

I'm still trying to figure out why we need a Dept. of Education. Last time I checked my property taxes funded my local school system.

How did we ever educate our children prior to 1979?

Top Bottom