• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    The furniture and tool box manufacturers lobby and vote for those sales. As does every other business that provides goods to government.

They can't cut tuition assistance to the military without it being viewed as a right and entitlement. Do you think crane is going to concede 25% of its budget?

Wrong on both counts.

Been there for 28 years. The stubs put in for purchases are by and large completely up to the individual putting it in the system. I am that guy that orders the tools and furniture for my lab. I buy what I need and not a d#$% bit more. Count on it.

Second, Crane has taken budget hits time and time again. When managers are told there's a budget cut, everyone adjusts. However, you have this idea that Crane gets one huge lump of money and decides what to do with it. Not true. Each project is brought by the program office through a long process of procurement and work estimates and business cases. Each of thousands - literally thousands - of projects are handled individually. The base overhead is built into the cost estimates for each job - just like a business. Also, just like in every business, there's waste. Government activities are not allowed to make a profit - re-read that sentence and let it sink in. The "waste" at Crane is usually due to managers unwillingness to do a job for less and send the extra back. Why? Because they fear (rightfully - 28 years of experience) that the next cost estimate or yearly budget will be cut and we may not be able to do the job. Acquisition reform didn't fix any of those problems. Actual businesses can carry over money from year to year and use it where it's needed and take up the slack for programs that may be underfunded from time to time. Crane and other government support activities can not legally do that.

Got a little long winded, but until you spend a career working at a support activity and get into the funding side of things and seeing projects through from start to finish you really don't have a grip on how it works. There are ways to fix it, but most of those "reforms" must take place at the very beginning - DC. Back to our representatives doing the right thing, not the expected thing.

Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    You are entirely correct, you do need educated. You think the "FAA" has only existed since 1958? Yes, by that name it did but it was called Aeronautics Branch, Bureau of Air Commerce prior to that. You actually believe Air Traffic Controllers arent needed? That right there proves just how profoundly ignorant you are on the matter. Go do some reading and LOTS OF IT then maybe get back to me. You might want to stick with baby steps starting with the FAA then maybe try the USDA, FBI and so on.

BTW You do realize that there werent any jet engines blasting away in the skies prior to 1952, right?

Please explain this article to me: Terre Haute International Airport preparing for potential staffing cuts » News From Terre Haute, Indiana
    Here is an excerpt:

Unstaffed control towers – or even towerless – airports are not uncommon, McKown noted. When no tower service is available, pilots are trained to act as their own air traffic controllers by communicating with each other over universal frequency radio communications, he said.

“That’s part of your flight training,” McKown said. “As a matter of fact, that’s part of your basic training.”

Pilots approaching an airfield broadcast over a universal frequency, letting any other pilots in the area know of their arrival, McKown said. Other pilots in the area will communicate with each other, he said.

“There’s no drop in safety,” McKown said. “We have a lot of untowered airports throughout the U.S. It’s incumbent upon pilots that are coming to the field to broadcast their intentions.”

Here's the money shot: “There’s no drop in safety,”

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Pay freeze for last 3 years? yes
    Insurance rates and co-pays rising every year? yes
    Hiring Freeze so we do more work with less people? Yes
    Pention fund siezed to keep big government going? Yes
    Promotions canceled? Yes
    Supporting the war fighter no matter how much free time we donate? Absolutely YES!

When this furlough go into effect, $6 billion won't go into the economy. State government suffers so that means the teachers, police and many other agencies suffer. When I take a 20% pay cut this year, I won't be able to afford a vacation much less look into buying any extras. The local car lot dealer suffers a cut in sales. The local concrete workers won't be laying concrete in driveways. This furlough has far more reaching effects than the average person realizes.

Most federal workers near me make far, far less than the jokers in DC and are well below 6 figure jobs. John Doe working on repair parts to keep military systems working on navy ships supports a family of 5 on one income and has an average salary less than a civilian counterparts. He does this job because he has a duty to serve his country and help keep the people of this country safe. :patriot:

What have the 100+ million people on welfare done for this country this year? What kind of pay cut are they taking?

Sounds like it's time for you to find a new job, Spunky. One where you won't be exposed to the whims of our federal masters. Oh wait! There aren't any jobs like that anymore. . . .

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Here's a bit you may not know about the furloughs - tell me if this makes sense at all. During that 32 hour core hour during furlough, there are a number of patriots and work minded individuals that would work for free - yes there are I can give you names including my own. Guess what? It's ILLEGAL! What's more, we were told we would be disciplined - DISCIPLINED - if cought working for free. That includes answering calls and e-mails directly from the fleet and or soldiers outside that core 32 (remember most of our men and women in harms way are outside our time zone - WAY).

Chew on that. I'm having a hard time with it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Many on this forum have *****ed for years about cutting spending. Many on this forum have *****ed about all theses continuing resolutions and these lines in the sand that republican congressmen have made that only amounted to a small cut in the increase in spending. Now that there are actual cuts, the world is coming to an end.

Of course these cuts are political. They're intended to divide the recipients of government dollars and pit them against each other. All recipients will eventually accept the dollars that their opponents are getting so long as they're restored. All recipients will ***** long and hard enough until the status quo is returned.

Not my dollar.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Many on this forum have *****ed for years about cutting spending. Many on this forum have *****ed about all theses continuing resolutions and these lines in the sand that republican congressmen have made that only amounted to a small cut in the increase in spending. Now that there are actual cuts, the world is coming to an end.

Of course these cuts are political. They're intended to divide the recipients of government dollars and pit them against each other. All recipients will eventually accept the dollars that their opponents are getting so long as they're restored. All recipients will ***** long and hard enough until the status quo is returned.

Not my dollar.

You're never going to get it Dale. This cut is an obama special. It was his law and democrats and republicans alike said it will never happen.

Cutting your personal budget - what do you start with? The mortgage and electricity? No. You start with entertainment and things you can do without. You don't cut 20% of your medicine along with your 20% of poptarts. My bet is we don't agree on that either.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm afraid hornady is right. Of those grousing about the federal spending, all but a handful will stop short of standing on principle when principle hits their personal agenda. Not my dollar indeed.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You're never going to get it Dale. This cut is an obama special. It was his law and democrats and republicans alike said it will never happen.

Cutting your personal budget - what do you start with? The mortgage and electricity? No. You start with entertainment and things you can do without. You don't cut 20% of your medicine along with your 20% of poptarts. My bet is we don't agree on that either.

I do quite well with my budget. I don't spend nearly double my income. I don't think you're ever going to get my point either. The welfare queens vote is just as powerful as yours. To her representatives in Washington, it's just as important to protect her dollars as it is yours.

You and her both are saying not my dollar. Full steam ahead.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I do quite well with my budget. I don't spend nearly double my income. I don't think you're ever going to get my point either. The welfare queens vote is just as powerful as yours. To her representatives in Washington, it's just as important to protect her dollars as it is yours.

You and her both are saying not my dollar. Full steam ahead.

I got your point days ago and agree with it.

The point you're missing is this cut is wrong. You do quite well with your budget because you don't make stupid cuts that cost more in the end. Miss your mortgage payment and see what happens. It cost more in the end. Leave a balance on your credit card and see what happens - they charge for that.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I got your point days ago and agree with it.

The point you're missing is this cut is wrong. You do quite well with your budget because you don't make stupid cuts that cost more in the end. Miss your mortgage payment and see what happens. It cost more in the end. Leave a balance on your credit card and see what happens - they charge for that.

I don't miss a mortgage payment because I don't have one.

I understand fully the ramifications of making late payments. Don't recall ever making one in my life. I've lived within my means and there have been times when my means weren't much. I've sacrificed many pleasantries so that my wife could stay home with my daughter. Yet when recipients of government dollars are asked to sacrifice, it's unfair.

Let me ask you this. Is the US in debt because of our politicians or because the American people have demanded it? Do you think politicians sit around and dream up of ways to blow money or do they spend it in ways that will buy votes?

Be thankful I didn't cut the pie. The government cut it in 2 pieces. 20% and 80%. They gave you the 80%. I'd have given you the 20%. Those on social security, welfare, government employees, etc should all be forced to stand in front of the youth of this nation and tell them they're screwed and they don't care because they're getting theirs. My daughter is 11. What did she do to deserve the debt previous generations are foisting on her? She didn't vote for the politicians who spent the money. But her and he future generations are expected to pay for it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Just to clarify again. I don't think a government employee and a welfare queen are morally equivelant when it comes to government spending. When income is less than expenditures, cuts must be made. The welfare queen is the $500 a month in cell phones and cable tv. The government employee is the 5000sf brick house. Our incomes allows for a double wide. The 5000sf house, cell phones, and cable tv have got to go.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just to clarify again. I don't think a government employee and a welfare queen are morally equivelant when it comes to government spending. When income is less than expenditures, cuts must be made. The welfare queen is the $500 a month in cell phones and cable tv. The government employee is the 5000sf brick house. Our incomes allows for a double wide. The 5000sf house, cell phones, and cable tv have got to go.

What about all those contracts out there? Every Interstate construction is paid with government dollars. So is all the design work for missiles, fighter jets and so forth. Much of the money for designing better rifles is government money. In fact it is hard to find interesting work as an engineer if you do not take government dollars. Making a better TV is boring. Making the next new guidance system for a missile is fun.

Not much work for civilian (private) construction compared to building for the government. Better pay making road than private for those workers as well.

Plus most of the government workers are contractors (8.5 million). Very few civil servants these days (Clinton cut government service in half to make room for contractors). Most of the Intel, military support and such is contractors. Good pay and interesting work. Civilian life (consumer products) can not compare.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Not long ago, in downtown Indy, I saw a state senator driving a Porche SUV that cost more than my house and my two cars combined.

I should have taken a picture of the South Beach Post Office today. Gotta love the mansions government entities build for themselves.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The original thread title was, "Hey, government people..."

Are there actually government people repairing Navy ship parts in Indianapolis, who are in danger of getting furloughed?

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    The original thread title was, "Hey, government people..."

Are there actually government people repairing Navy ship parts in Indianapolis, who are in danger of getting furloughed?

There are thousands of Navy Civilians spred out all over the state of Indiana.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    What about all those contracts out there? Every Interstate construction is paid with government dollars. So is all the design work for missiles, fighter jets and so forth. Much of the money for designing better rifles is government money. In fact it is hard to find interesting work as an engineer if you do not take government dollars. Making a better TV is boring. Making the next new guidance system for a missile is fun.

Not much work for civilian (private) construction compared to building for the government. Better pay making road than private for those workers as well.

Plus most of the government workers are contractors (8.5 million). Very few civil servants these days (Clinton cut government service in half to make room for contractors). Most of the Intel, military support and such is contractors. Good pay and interesting work. Civilian life (consumer products) can not compare.

At least contractors can be fired rather easily, unlike GS employees.

Of course there are many that are retired GS working the same job as a contractor now.

2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy
    At least contractors can be fired rather easily, unlike GS employees.

Of course there are many that are retired GS working the same job as a contractor now.

And some of those "retired" are even sitting in the same desk. Double dipping is nice!
    Some even tripple dip when they are "retired" military.

How do contractors save money again?

Top Bottom