• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Was looking at a Heritage Rough Rider. I like adjustible sights on my pistols but most I see for sale have fixed sights. It really wouldn't bother me to buy a fixed sight model but what if the impact of the round is different than my point of aim? Are these guns pretty close out of the box? Is there a way to alter the front sight at all or would I just change my point of aim to compensate? Just some questions.....Thanks....

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    One can always file down the front sight in order to raise the point of impact. If the front sight is tall enough, that is. Not much to do if it is high.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I have one of these and its pretty accurate. I bought it used so can't comment about it when new, but it doesn't appear that anyone has done anything to the sights. It's a fun gun that my boys have a ball with.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a Rough Rider too and it's hard to beat for the price. I paid $159 brand new for mine and it's one of my favorite to shoot. As for accuracy, I don't think it's too bad. I can usually do a decent group with it but my 20 year old was able to pick a fly off the target at 7 yards last week. Granted, it took him 3 shots before the fly was reduced to a splash mark on the target, but it's still not bad. They are fun guns to shoot and the fact that it comes with both 22lr and 22mag cylinders is nice too.

If I had to adjust the point of impact, I don't know how you'd do it outside of the already suggested filing of the front sight.

cowboy23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    lafayette
    i was really wanting to know as much as i could about this gun myself i think that i like the bird head frame a lot but want to know how people like them thanks for the info.

hischj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Wadesville
    I have one that I picked up used and love it. Once you get used to the gun the accuracy is there. Buy it and have a blast.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    Why don't you just look into a Ruger Single Six. I picked up a really nice used one for $225, and it shoots great.

I agree ! I have handled and inspected the Heritage 22LRs and that alone turned me off from ever buying one. Get a Ruger (it's TWICE the gun) and be happy. :rockwoot:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I own one. It was a great deal. I should have just got a Ruger Single Six. Shoots fine. OK quality. Just feels a little cheap.

If you aren't going to shoot it a ton, you will probably be fine. If you want something that your kid's kid's will shoot, get a Ruger.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I bought mine for $159 new and have never regretted the decision. It's a fun gun to shoot and comes with both 22lr and 22mag cylinders. It's among my favorite plinkers.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Mike Venturino has a column in the October/November issue of "American Handgunner" (can access online at their website) on different ways to go about regulating fixed sights. Not a very difficult process (usually), but when it's done you're pretty much commited to one particular load.

FWIW, I much prefer to have adjustables on my .22 RF's. Even though the "paper" ballistics for most HS .22 LR brands are virtually identical, that doesn't always translate into having the same POA/POI in any given gun, IME. I like the option of fixing that with a couple of 'clicks' rather than using Kentucky windage. I switch my plinking ammo brand pretty often depending on what's available at the least cost, and adjustable sights make it a lot easier to keep putting the hits where I want them.

Interloper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    I love mine. I am NO competition shooter and still need lots of practice with the larger caliber guns, but with the Rough Rider I can be extremely accurate. It is just a fun gun for very little money and my fixed sights were fine from the factory (I shared your concerns).

I am sure the quality of the Ruger is better, but no matter what you buy isn't there is always a "better" option for another $50...$100...$150...

Go buy one and have fun! :draw:

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I would spend $200 for a used single six every time before I would spend $150 for a Rough Rider. If you held them side by side, the difference in quality is obvious. And worth $50 more.

cak387

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Kokomo
    I also have one. My grandfather thought I should learn how to shoot with a revolver first, and picked one up new. Very fun gun to shoot. It is my girlfriends favorite gun to shoot out of all the .22's we have.

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Why don't you just look into a Ruger Single Six. I picked up a really nice used one for $225, and it shoots great.

I have to agree with this guy. However, I've been tempted by the RR in the past, they are definitely cool for the money and I've heard they are pretty accurate. Just make sure you get one with a good finish, they can vary greatly from what I've seen.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Heritage makes an adjustable sight version . I agree the Ruger to be the better gun. The cheapest I've seen a new Single Six lately tho' is over $400. The HRR can be had in the $170 range. If I could ever find an excellent condition used gun selling for half it's new going price of course ........ well it just never happens to me. You'll be waiting a long time trying to find a used Ruger in decent condition under $300 . At least you would where I shop. The Heritage are ok for many users. Shoot a few bricks a year? Get the Heritage. Shoot a few bricks a month? Get the Ruger.

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    I took my Heritage birdhead with me squirrel hunting today. I popped one with it at some unknown distance...
    I've found it very accurate and a good shooter.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Paperboy, I agree, with all the POSITIVE comments, about the HRR,
    I have one, and let some fellow INGOERS, shoot it, they all agreed,
    cheap, but a blast to shoot... I didn't have $400.00 to drop on a
    Ruger, so, $175.00, isn't bad... it will shoot where I aim it...

Top Bottom