• ...and so much more!
  • 12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Glad I'm not the only one that feels in over my head.

Anyone got a buying guide for AR ??
    I bought an Olympic Arms AR from a guy at work for $500. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. I believe it was what Oly called their model K16. He had put a Mag-Pul collapsible stock, a bi-pod and big scope on it hunt varmits. I had never shot one before I bought this one. I went on INGO here and caught a lot of flack over the rifle being an Olympic Arms. I am not a hard-core AR guy, BUT my son and I love shooting the thing and together we have probably put around 1,000 rds down range. We have yet to have any problems (we do clean it religiously) and for what we do it has been a great gun. The problem is once you get one of these things and shoot it you unfortuneatly are hooked. I am now in the process of building one and even though you catch some flack from the AR purists and "experts" listen to what they all have to say and then go out to the shops, the shows and look and touch and feel.
    My advice is to get one reasonable priced on ARMLIST or hoosier topics, go shoot the heck out of it, spend some time on this site reading then go out and build you one. Just sayin':dunno:

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    The last thing anyone should do is suggest a "newbie" get mired in all of that trivial minutia.

I would hope that someone new to buying an AR would look at all specifications, find out what they are/what they mean, and decide what desired options match with their price point.

I would be really upset if I didn't know anything and somebody told me to go buy a RRA/SW/Bushmaster because they are all the same when they are cruddy rifles and for a few hundred more I coulda "one and done'ed it" with a LMT/BCM/Colt/DD

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    Gotta love the "what AR should I get threads". I feel for the first time AR buyer who doesn`t want to spend $1000. He is going to get 100 different opinions and prolly be more confused than he was before, I know I was.

I opted to go with an entry "priced" 16" DPMS flattop and couldn`t be happier. I`m not headed to Iraq with it but I`m confident that it will serve me well if SHTF. Plus I had some cash left for the assload of ammo the thing eats.:ar15:

OP, don`t worry youll most likely end up with more than 1 anyway!:rockwoot:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I would hope that someone new to buying an AR would look at all specifications, find out what they are/what they mean, and decide what desired options match with their price point.

I would be really upset if I didn't know anything and somebody told me to go buy a RRA/SW/Bushmaster because they are all the same when they are cruddy rifles and for a few hundred more I coulda "one and done'ed it" with a LMT/BCM/Colt/DD

RRA/S&W/Bushmaster are cruddy rifles?

You haven't just been drinking the koolaid, you've must have been showering yourself in it LOL :D

Simple & to the point, an LMT/BCM/Colt/ or DD can't do anything that an RRA/S&W/DPMS/Oly/ or Bushmaster can't do.

Tango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    RRA/S&W/Bushmaster are cruddy rifles?

You haven't just been drinking the koolaid, you've must have been showering yourself in it LOL :D

I second this!

My suggestion is a Bushmaster then Rock River Arms. Daniel Defense is solid as well.

S&W is pretty good too, they actually sell a .223/5.56 + .22 pair as a package. I wouldn't, personally, mess with a conversion as it'll only become a hassle and some aren't that quality. I'd buy the combo package if I had to choose a single option in that price range.

Good luck with the purchase and enjoy shooting!

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass

Simple & to the point, an LMT/BCM/Colt/ or DD can't do anything that an RRA/S&W/DPMS/Oly/ or Bushmaster can't do.

your right....if you don't mind cut rate/sub standard manufacturing and matierals those brands are GTG

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    your right....if you don't mind cut rate/sub standard manufacturing and matierals those brands are GTG

OH NOES! hundreds of thousands? million(s)? of AR shooters are blissfully unaware of how cruddy their AR's really are.

Someone should sound the alarm & warn them! :n00b:

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Nothing wrong with Mid tier AR's for punching holes in paper and sporting purposes. But I noted that the OP stated Home Defense/SHTF. I read this as "trust my life" on the rifle. Things like a properly staked BCG, higher grade steel, etc are VITAL to reliable function of the rifle. Rob Sloyer's documents that were linked to earlier are very popular for a reason.

To answer the OP...if you are buying a rifle that you might use to defend your life AND (hopefully) get some legitimate training with. I would recommend BCM first and then Colt, DD, LMT after in no particular order.

If want an AR to shoot at the range, or an AR for 3 gun, get whatever works for you. Mid tier guns will give you a lot of enjoyment for those purposes. But it might be a 50/50 if that same mid tier rifle will make it through a 1,500-2,000 round 3 day carbine class from a reputable instructor (MD, LAV, EAG, GG, TS, etc), read the AAR's from these instructors classes. Look at what rifles puke and go **** up and which ones don't. These gentlemen have a huge sample group to observe, and oddly enough their opinions of who makes quality AR's doesn't vary much from the above. The rest are not what I would want to trust my life on.

:twocents:

OP...pm me if you have more questions

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Yep, just run out and willy nilly pick a rifle based on no research. :n00b:

I don't care what AR anyone buys, but the least they can do is to do some background work so that they make an informed decision.

Joe Blow goes out and buys AR15 brand XYZ because it was "on sale".

6 months later Joe knows a little bit more about the AR15 and really isn't happy with the rifle he bought. He wanted it for "abc" and the one he bought was meant for "lmnop".

Now Joe is trying to sell of an upper that no one is interested in, and making changes to the lower receiver. All because he rushed out and didn't do any research .

I'd +1 you but it won't let me do it again. :yesway:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Nothing wrong with Mid tier AR's for punching holes in paper and sporting purposes. But I noted that the OP stated Home Defense/SHTF. I read this as "trust my life" on the rifle. Things like a properly staked BCG, higher grade steel, etc are VITAL to reliable function of the rifle. Rob Sloyer's documents that were linked to earlier are very popular for a reason.

To answer the OP...if you are buying a rifle that you might use to defend your life AND (hopefully) get some legitimate training with. I would recommend BCM first and then Colt, DD, LMT after in no particular order.

If want an AR to shoot at the range, or an AR for 3 gun, get whatever works for you. Mid tier guns will give you a lot of enjoyment for those purposes. But it might be a 50/50 if that same mid tier rifle will make it through a 1,500-2,000 round 3 day carbine class from a reputable instructor (MD, LAV, EAG, GG, TS, etc), read the AAR's from these instructors classes. Look at what rifles puke and go **** up and which ones don't. These gentlemen have a huge sample group to observe, and oddly enough their opinions of who makes quality AR's doesn't vary much from the above. The rest are not what I would want to trust my life on.

:twocents:

OP...pm me if you have more questions

Umm ...

1.) If an AR will accurately & reliably punch holes in paper, it will accurately & reliably punch holes in people.

2.) No-one is going to shoot 1,500-2,000 rounds in a HD scenario, heck even the standard combat load-out for an infantryman's M4 is only 210 rounds.

3.) So IMHO putting a rifle, any rifle, through that sort of unrealistic abuse is just plain silly & then complaining when a rifle, any rifle, suffers some sort of failure after that many rounds are dumped through it that quick .. well that's downright clownish.

Seriously, sometimes I just have to shake my head is disbelief at some of the crazy stuff that is said on here.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Umm ...

1.) If an AR will accurately & reliably punch holes in paper, it will accurately & reliably punch holes in people.

2.) No-one is going to shoot 1,500-2,000 rounds in a HD scenario, heck even the standard combat load-out for an infantryman's M4 is only 210 rounds.

3.) So IMHO putting a rifle, any rifle, through that sort of unrealistic abuse is just plain silly & then complaining when a rifle, any rifle, suffers some sort of failure after that many rounds are dumped through it that quick .. well that's downright clownish.

Seriously, sometimes I just have to shake my head is disbelief at some of the crazy stuff that is said on here.

I gotta admit, RichardR is making good points.

a HD gun will be shot what? 3-4 times in anger?

Now I dont own "mid teir" guns, I shoot Daniel Defense and BCM, but hes right about the 210 round thing.

However, if you can AFFORD the extra reliability and quality, go for the DD or BCM.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Thank you everyone for lots of info.

This would not be my first choice in home defense, unless I truly fall in love with shooting it. I have a 12ga with 18.5 barrel, that is my first choice. Nothing like the sound of putting a round in the chamber in the dark to scare the crap out of someone. Also have a Glock 17 But if I truly fall in love with the AR it could get bumped up on my list but it would be my 2nd choice, or first if my wife takes the shotgun :D

I like everyone else would like to find a $1500 AR for $100 some where that is NOT STOLEN but I know it won't happen. The cheaper I can get a AR the more cash I have for ammo or just cool stuff to add on. Talked to a buddy and he has a Colt that he got for $800 but I don't know the model number.

Good new is I am not getting one this week and I plan on spending the next month learning all I can so I do make the right choice for me. But this will help point me into the right direction. Anything else you guys think I need to know please tell me.

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    I would hope not. However, those that choose to attend classes to learn how to use their rifle in those situations will. And the ability of a rifle to do so is a direct reflection of it's quality, reliability, and service life.

Agreed...:n00b:

Last edited:

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I forgot about used AR. I am not above used for the right price. All my firearms where used but one that my mom bought me when I was 14.

Guessing looking at used no big diff just make sure its not bent, parts wobble and cracks. Any thing else?

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Have lots of fun deciding, cause it's lot's more fun shooting one. As far as home defense I"m with you on the 18.5 12 guage cause that's what I have beside the night stand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011

Whats the cruddy part about S&W rifles?

MerKWorK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Muncie
    Spikes Complete Lower=$250
    BCM BCG/Bolt=$139.99
    BCM Middy Upper=$489

Having a better gun than most people for less than $900........PRICELESS!!!

Top Bottom