Help me understand the distain for Donald Trump.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Crazy housing market anyone? Or maybe they figured that if they're going to let millions of people come in at once, they all have to live somewhere. I really don't understand realestate, and don't know what I'm talking about, but the reasoning I've heard for the hot market hasn't made sense beyond the surface.

See: 1979-1982

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Crazy housing market anyone? Or maybe they figured that if they're going to let millions of people come in at once, they all have to live somewhere. I really don't understand realestate, and don't know what I'm talking about, but the reasoning I've heard for the hot market hasn't made sense beyond the surface.
    What reasoning have you heard?

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    I'll give you that. Also, please don't think me antagonist, I'm just usually very surprised by how much rationalization goes into the religious vote because you're right, it is not a requirement for a conservative candidate to be a professed Christian. It's maybe more an expectation ever since Jerry Falwell Sr and his Moral Majority movement tried to make it a requirement to secure the religious right's vote. People typically vote for candidates who most closely align with their values and issues and in 2016 that really was Cruz, not Trump, but Trump beat out Cruz more than 2-to-1 for the nomination in spite of his watery values. That leads me to believe that more than anything the best attribute Trump had going for him was that he wasn't a career politician or DC insider.
    I believe conservatives were also attracted to his pull no punches style because they were completely over the parade of mealy mouthed, milquetoast candidates that have a tendency to fall all over themselves apologizing for anything the commie left accuses them of because they are terrified of optics and bad press.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    This an the bump stock thing were my two biggest policy gripes with the guy. I was really disappointed he didn't work with the Republican Congress he had for two years to work first on deficits and then debt. Time squandered.
    This an the bump stock thing were my two biggest policy gripes with the guy. I was really disappointed he didn't work with the Republican Congress he had for two years to work first on deficits and then debt. Time squandered.
    He was never going to reign in spending. He thought he could just make the government a better investor, which IMO is a terrible idea.

Reactions: KLB

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    The two main things I saw that turned republicans and conservatives against him:

1. Way too many self inflicted wounds by saying careless things a world leader should never say, even if it was true. Most of it spun to be even worse than he actually said but he never learned from his mistakes.

2. He stood against the swamp and career politicians who were in it for themselves. That included parts of the Republican establishment. He exposed them and angered them. Some of them wanted the days of establishment politics back at any cost, even if it meant the republicans lost the presidency.

I also think he lost a lot of voters in the first debate against Biden. He acted like grade school bully, it was embarrassing, and it put a lot of people off who had stuck with him up to that point. I don’t have anything to back that up, just a feeling that after watching that debate a lot of voters said “I’m done” realizing he’ll never learn to act presidential.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    President Trump was different than the rest. Both good and bad. He was more honest than the rest. Both left and right. He is, without a doubt, the strongest leader in my voting-age lifetime. The idea that people voted "against Trump" is proven wrong by the results. His votes went up. If persons voted against him, more voted for him. Trump's vote totals went up. No ****ing way did Bidiot get 81M votes. No. ****ing. Way.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Republican-registered moderate here, who would probably be considered a flaming liberal by INGO standards...here's my list in no particular order:

1. Trump is a carpetbagging panderer and has been for YEARS
    2. He couldn't keep his mouth shut to save his life
    3. Somehow he's developed a cult of personality where people seemingly worship him, in excess of what I witnessed with Obama
    4. His public behavior while in office was not befitting the President of the United States
    5. Everybody that didn't publicly kiss his ring every.single.time. on every.single.issue was the enemy, even the people moving his agenda forward

Those personal opinions being said, I found few issues with either his foreign or domestic policy other than feeling he was overly chummy toward Putin. I liked his initial diplomatic engagement with North Korea, and his pivot toward China has clearly proven to be prescient. Clutched pearls about authoritarianism were grossly overblown, but his inability to concede defeat by narrow margins in 2020 (not unlike his win by narrow margins in historically blue states in 2016) was ridiculous. If it hadn't have been for COVID, I believe he would have been reelected.

That said, I do not believe Trump is nor should he be the future of the Republican Party.

/flamesuit on

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Republican-registered moderate here, who would probably be considered a flaming liberal by INGO standards...here's my list in no particular order:

1. Trump is a carpetbagging panderer and has been for YEARS
    2. He couldn't keep his mouth shut to save his life
    3. Somehow he's developed a cult of personality where people seemingly worship him, in excess of what I witnessed with Obama
    4. His public behavior while in office was not befitting the President of the United States
    5. Everybody that didn't publicly kiss his ring every.single.time. on every.single.issue was the enemy, even the people moving his agenda forward

Those personal opinions being said, I found few issues with either his foreign or domestic policy other than feeling he was overly chummy toward Putin. I liked his initial diplomatic engagement with North Korea, and his pivot toward China has clearly proven to be prescient. Clutched pearls about authoritarianism were grossly overblown, but his inability to concede defeat by narrow margins in 2020 (not unlike his win by narrow margins in historically blue states in 2016) was ridiculous. If it hadn't have been for COVID, I believe he would have been reelected.

That said, I not believe Trump is nor should he be the future of the Republican Party.

/flamesuit on
    Ok. But did you vote for Biden?

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    President Trump was different than the rest. Both good and bad. He was more honest than the rest. Both left and right. He is, without a doubt, the strongest leader in my voting-age lifetime. The idea that people voted "against Trump" is proven wrong by the results. His votes went up. If persons voted against him, more voted for him. Trump's vote totals went up. No ****ing way did Bidiot get 81M votes. No. ****ing. Way.

The sad part is how this factual impossibility has resulted in numerous narratives which attempt to explain it away. Intelligent, capable people have resigned to the idea of a post-truth "new normal" world.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'll not deny Trump has character faults but I supported him for his campaign promises and he tried like hell to fulfill those promises and actually did in some cases to strengthen America.

And he did all this while the Democrats, MSM and insider serpents slithering in the darkness within the administration waiting to strike were trying to undermine his Presidency.

Trump's unwavering tenacity against all those odds is a strong character trait that has gained my support and his petty flaws that his detractors try to exploit for political purposes pale in comparison to that in my book.
    Amen

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Dude, nobody cares about protest votes, but Hillary and progressives thank you

You do realize you comment on my post directly responding to another member’s question to me says otherwise….right?

Last I checked, HRC didn’t win and Indiana’s electoral college votes were never in play.

Feel free to be outraged by my votes, though.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Dude, nobody cares about protest votes, but Hillary and progressives thank you
    WdMxHuW.gif

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    As I remember,Hillary was a shoe in. Day 1 was the Russia,Russia Russia hookers and urine Media Narrative.It didn't matter if DT was JC. He was going to pay and so was America for voting for him.Joe,Chuck,Nancy,Hillary,BO and McConnell together had nearly 200 years of "Gov't Service".
    The powers that be could not let a no experience Shylock come into town and upset their con game and start fixing all the problems they continuesly promise to fix after they get REELECTED.
    He had a target on his back from day one. I saw the big picture, and lmao every day he took the microphone driving the Swamp crazy.If his mouth hurt your feelings, then CNN and the other MSM did their job.
    POLITICIANS are nothing more then polished lying gangsters.
    Trump was that crazy uncle who told everyone what they knew but didn't want to hear,laughed and sent you home butthurt.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I do find it interesting that there is this perception that Trump isn't a politician. He might not have been one when he was elected but he sure as hell was one when he left. His stance on issues is 100% based on what garners him the most attention. If that isn't politics as usual, I'm not sure what is.

Top Bottom