Hearing protection use for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Point taken. I own a regular pair of ear protection...it greatly reduces your capacity to hear anything. I only use them on the range.

The bottom line is this: It's your life, and it's your situation. If you feel wearing ear protection is right for you, wear it.

Note the OP was talking about electronic muffs, please read.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Weird. Mine make every creak and rattle audible. I can hear MUCH better with them. Maybe you just have a lot better ears than I do -- I definitely have some hearing loss from lots of time around tanks, bradleys and artillery.

Agreed. But I feel pretty confident that NOBODY wants to fight a middle-aged man wearing nothing but ear protection and rainbow-colored toe socks.

WOOT!...I hate toe socks....

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    anybody got a link to a set of these awesome electronic ear muffs? i think i would like a pair

edit: no sarcasm intended...i seriously want a pair

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Has anyone fired a weapon in their house (intentionally or accidentally) that can let us know what to expect?

First hand experience can often be a great teacher.

In my house, no. While at ECPR, I had someone nect to me fire a round down range while on a cold range. It was 9mm and took about a minute to regain my hearing, but nothing that was too disorienting.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    No, I don't keep them by the bedside.

I didn't wear eye and ear protection while I was patrolling as a LEO either. If something goes bump in the night, I will be disoriented enough trying to wake up and assess the situation.

I don't want or need to lose those "two seconds" seconds you speak of, they could make all of the difference in the world. Plus, with hearing protection on, it hinders my ability to listen to sounds that might be out of place when it matters the most. I can communicate with my wife and children via hand signals later if need be, and they will understand.

Just my $0.02. Different strokes for different folks.

:+1: .... ears already gone :D

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Attention Criminals: Your unlawful presence in this home may subject you to A) Extreme noise levels, B) Exposure to noxious chemicals, C) Penetrating wounds, and D) Blunt force trauma. Appropriate safety gear is not supplied by home owner.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Electronic ear muffs right by my gun. Would like to get a suppressor one of these days though.

get an additional one for the bad guy and put a note on your door "please use the supplied suppressor so we both don't lose our hearing :D

edit: forgot purple... or did i ?? LOL

Attention Criminals: Your unlawful presence in this home may subject you to A) Extreme noise levels, B) Exposure to noxious chemicals, C) Penetrating wounds, and D) Blunt force trauma. Appropriate safety gear is not supplied by home owner.

And make sure to add something about the cost of ammo negating a 'warning shot' and we might have the best warning sign ever :D

On a serious note though, I kinda get what the OP is trying to say and at least bring about some constructive discussion. :yesway: for creative thinking :)

While muffs in the event of a break in might not be for some, they might be for others, but at least we're all thinking about scenarios which is a great thing :)

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    This is where a suppressor comes into play. Muzzle flash is greatly reduced along with the report.

AGSG19can_zpsf7aba22d.jpg

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    If you ever need to fire a gun in anger whether inside or out you will not even hear those gun shots. Bet on it. It is a non issue.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you ever need to fire a gun in anger whether inside or out you will not even hear those gun shots. Bet on it. It is a non issue.

I dont plan on ever shooting a gun in anger.
    That's not what you do in a self defense situation.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I dont plan on ever shooting a gun in anger.
    That's not what you do in a self defense situation.

Maybe the wrong word but you should get my point. Also Electronic ear protection will make it very difficult to determine where sounds are coming from.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Maybe the wrong word but you should get my point. Also Electronic ear protection will make it very difficult to determine where sounds are coming from.

Very wrong word especially when you use it when dealing with the police after you had to use deadly force.

You shoot in anger to murder someone, you shoot out of fear for your own life to defend yourself.

:twocents:

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Greenwood
    The argument for electronic earmuffs is somewhat compelling, but it really just seems like an added step for me. The transition from sleep to %100 alert is staggering, and I'd prefer to focus on the bare necessities. My house isn't large enough to lose track of an intruder once the initial contact is made....so I feel any temporary hearing loss could be overcome by vision and logic :twocents:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The argument for electronic earmuffs is somewhat compelling, but it really just seems like an added step for me. The transition from sleep to %100 alert is staggering, and I'd prefer to focus on the bare necessities. My house isn't large enough to lose track of an intruder once the initial contact is made....so I feel any temporary hearing loss could be overcome by vision and logic :twocents:

The problem is that hearing loss is NOT temporary.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Very wrong word especially when you use it when dealing with the police after you had to use deadly force.

You shoot in anger to murder someone, you shoot out of fear for your own life to defend yourself.

:twocents:

Actually after pondering this for a few, anyone that enters my home illegally, I am going to be angry. I will be angry enough to kill them in a heartbeat. The cost of doing business as a home burglar I guess.

Top Bottom