Hearing protection use for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I made a topic of this a while back. So you know I agree. And I'm blind so I wear glasses already. I actually wear my prescription work safety glasses 24/7.

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Ok so one could say I don't need the ear protection cause my home defense weapon is equipped with a silencer.

I don't keep mine bedside but it's an interesting topic. I had an incident in my home about 10 years ago and if I would have been wearing ear protection I really don't think I would have heard the strange noises inside my home.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Ok so one could say I don't need the ear protection cause my home defense weapon is equipped with a silencer.

I don't keep mine bedside but it's an interesting topic. I had an incident in my home about 10 years ago and if I would have been wearing ear protection I really don't think I would have heard the strange noises inside my home.

Silencers are good too but what if the person breaking into your house is armed with a gun and shoots inside your living room. :dunno:
    If you're in the same room it's going to be loud for you too.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    What about the studies done on auditory exclusion? Many cops and military gun fights have later determined that the officer or marine/soldier, didn't experience any hearing loss. I've heard of this happening a lot more with law enforcement, but I think there is a possibility that you will have so much adrenline rushing through you, you wont hear the gun go off.

Or maybe you will.

In the case that the sound of the gun does give you temporary hearing loss, I think the benefits (like stated before) of having a keen sense of NATURAL sound, is much better than an electronic filtered sound or conventional ear plugs.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Absolutely not...if I'm aroused from sleep in the middle of the night, the last thing I'm going to think about doing is putting on ear protection. Sure, in the rare case that I would actually fire my weapon, I may suffer hearing loss. However, I think that it is a risk I am willing to take to avoid fumbling around for one extra thing in the dark. As others have mentioned, I would also want to keep my hearing as keen as possible during the event.

Exactly, You're going to have to make sure you know what you're shooting at and where that target is. The whole I idea of muffing up prior to trying to clear your home seems strange. Maybe if you were going to execute someone ... but no.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Has anyone fired a weapon in their house (intentionally or accidentally) that can let us know what to expect?

First hand experience can often be a great teacher.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Exactly, You're going to have to make sure you know what you're shooting at and where that target is. The whole I idea of muffing up prior to trying to clear your home seems strange. Maybe if you were going to execute someone ... but no.

I agree with what you're saying as well. I have small children to be aware of in any event.. I would most likely try to be aware of where they are (in the event they don't get to safety as expected)

Although, I can see the benefits of us all wearing ear protection, and the drawbacks.. toss of a coin in some circumstances.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My way of thinking is this:

K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

Don't complicate things. Someone is in your house, call the police, grab your gun, and keep your family safe.

Keep a pistol or shotgun or rifle or all 3 close by.

If someone is in my house, I'm calling the police as I reach for my pistol. Nothing else is going thru my head other than protecting my family.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    For those of you in EXTREME liberal states I would also recommend at least putting a pair of ear plugs next to every potential entrance to your home so that if the BG lives you won't be sued :spend: for damaging their hearing.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    if i had to leave the bedroom to clear the house the electric headphones would go on and would be an asset to enhance hearing. but if thier coming through the bedroomdoor i would just be goin for my gun

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

:dunno:

I use a light and my eyes to ID my target, not sound.
    I dont see how having ear muffs prevents me from seeing if the person down the hallway is my wife or an intruder.
    Also having emplified earing from your electronic earmuffs can allow you to ear someone that walks downstairs better.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    If I may interject a dose of reality (which may only be valid for me).....
    But, when that 'special moment' happens...and my heart rate exceeds 150, and my Adrenalin is pumping sky high, and my knees are knocking, hands are shaking, voice is cracking.....I'm experiencing auditory exclusion, tunnel vision.....

Heck....let's just say I'm a nervous wreck who is doing well with weapon safety management at the moment.....

I just gotta ask myself this question...... "Do I really have the ability to worry/think/look/place ear muffs on my head???

In my case.... I don't think so. Maybe you all are better then me...and more power to ya... But I just don't see it being realistic for me :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    But, when that 'special moment' happens...and my heart rate exceeds 150, and my Adrenalin is pumping sky high, and my knees are knocking, hands are shaking, voice is cracking.....I'm experiencing auditory exclusion, tunnel vision.....

Heck....let's just say I'm a nervous wreck who is doing well with weapon safety management at the moment.....

I just gotta ask myself this question...... "Do I really have the ability to worry/think/look/place ear muffs on my head???

In my case.... I don't think so. Maybe you all are better then me...and more power to ya... But I just don't see it being realistic for me :dunno:

While I agree with you wholeheartedly (at least for me), training and practice can go a long way here.. making it part of the 'habit' so to speak.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    My way of thinking is this:

K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

Don't complicate things. Someone is in your house, call the police, grab your gun, and keep your family safe.

Keep a pistol or shotgun or rifle or all 3 close by.

If someone is in my house, I'm calling the police as I reach for my pistol. Nothing else is going thru my head other than protecting my family.

It's not that complicate to put ear muffs on, it's not like it will use all your attention and keep you busy for 5 minutes.
    Actually using your phone and dealing with the police will be more of a disctraction than having to deal with ear muffs.

If someone is in my house I put ear protection on, grab gun and let the wife deal with calling the police.
    I dont want to use a phone and a gun at the same time.The phone is not what's going to stop the intruder.

If im alone at home I will deal with the phone later once I know the threat is gone.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I definitely think having a pair of reliable electronic muffs is a good thing to have at your disposal in the home. As another member said, I'm not going to put them on if it is an obvious break-in and the sound seems very close (as in the door may be opening anytime, but if I decide to leave the room for a "bump in the night" I'd much rather have them. I'd always prefer them, but in some instances time is more important.

I don't think any of us are worried about the permanent hearing loss from this situation, but the temporary hearing loss may be of a concern. I've never touched off rounds in a house, but I have shot .44 Mag under a metal roof w/out ear pro. (Young and dumb, I'm still one... You pick.) It definitely was painful and my ears rang for a long time, but we were able to talk to each other about normally.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN

I definitely understand where you're coming from, but I don't think putting on ear pro is any more difficult under stress than using a light or operating a firearm.

Top Bottom