Hearing protection use for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    I have a pair of the Howard Leight's ($40) next to the night gun and Flashlight... They are Stereo and work well enough for amplifying sound yet protecting the hearing if a big boom occurs, (yours or theirs!)

Used them once when I heard a strange humming in the bedroom... Found out a bathroom fan had been left on by the kids in the basement two floors down... If someone is spooking around in my house, I want to have as much of a hearing advantage as possible...

I do agree with the poster above that if you fire without ear protection, you likely wont hear it because of the selective physiological changes that come from the whole adrenaline ForFl situation, but that does not mean that it still does not cause damage...Its only the temporary Perception... of not hearing it... as well as the tunnel vision, loss of fine motor skills, and everything else that goes along with it..

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    It would be useless for me, I live in a small house with no hallways, all door ways leads to other rooms, my front door is next to my bedroom door and if someone did decide to break in I wouldn't have the extra 2 seconds to worry abou hearing protection.

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Greenwood
    The problem is that hearing loss is NOT temporary.

The problem is....unless you live in a bubble, you will be exposed to "potentially damaging" db levels in everyday life :dunno: Do you wear earmuffs when the tornado sirens go off every Friday at 11:00am?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The problem is....unless you live in a bubble, you will be exposed to "potentially damaging" db levels in everyday life :dunno: Do you wear earmuffs when the tornado sirens go off every Friday at 11:00am?

You cant compare a gun going off right in your face and a sirem outside.

And yes I do try to wear ear protection (and eye protection) whenever I can if im using loud powertools and such.
    That's why I had a very good hearing last time it was tested by a doctor.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Let me add some real-life experience here. Almost 42 years ago, my mother was murdered by her estranged husband. I was 3 1/2 years old. I was right beside my mother when she was shot. She was also armed and shooting back. He was armed with a .38 Special, two inch snub. I believe it was a Colt, as he fired six rounds. My mother had a seven shot Italian revolver in .22 Short. I can remember the entire event like it happened yesterday. I can even remember some of the things I was thinking at the time. The one thing I don't remember is ever hearing any gun shots. This occurred inside the house at a distance of around 7-9 feet.

The last time I had my hearing checked(around 16 or 17 years ago), It was above average on the high end and the low end. It was slightly below normal in the mid-range, which is normal conversation range. I was a tanker in the Marine Corps and was exposed to cannon and machine gun fire. I didn't have hearing protection in every time I was exposed to gun fire.

So, if you want to wear hearing protection, then I guess it is up to you. If the time comes for me to use a gun in the house, I'm not going to worry about it.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    You cant compare a gun going off right in your face and a sirem outside.

And yes I do try to wear ear protection (and eye protection) whenever I can if im using loud powertools and such.
    That's why I had a very good hearing last time it was tested by a doctor.

I also have very good hearing even after 8 years service in a combat arms MOS involving gunfire,explosions as well as fixed and rotary aircraft. During my present occupation I am relatively often exposed to gun fire with no hearing protection either.

I am not against hearing protection and use mine whenever possible. But for anyone that has every been involved in life and death situations I can tell you with confidence earpro will be the farthest thing from your mind. I say don't over think things. When and if your time ever comes I guarantee you will be have more important things on your mind.

Top Bottom