• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Anymore they do it at the shops, either with ink or those Silencer Shop kiosks

That's life, it's all one big opportunity cost. Guns or XXXX. Beer or XXXX. Guns, silencers, optics, knives, etc., 99% of the time they're luxery items that come after the essentials/staples. Silencers are just guns you buy that you can't handle for a while. It comes down to how much you want one, I purchased my first in 2012 and knew exactly what I was getting into with the process, it was an inexpensive 22 can and I'd be out $400 with the tax stamp. I knew about the wait, it never bugged me and I never called the dealer asking if they heard anything (because it's not like dealers get daily updates with all the peoples' info and status). My stamp arrived 12-21-12 and was thrilled and went and got it and I found out how much I enjoy shooting suppressed and ever sold guns that I couldn't put a can on or would be a complete PITA to suppress.

There's always an opportunity cost, you can't know the future, so you don't my luxury items if you're tight on funds, but would say a $200 .22 silencer one month then mail the paperwork off the next month and you're out another $200 really be so bad?

I've paid a ton in obamacare fees that I would have rather seen go to beer, bourbon, guns, or tax stamps

It’s not the dollar cost, it’s the time spent waiting for something that’s been paid for. Currently there are just more interesting options on the want list that don’t require waiting to enjoy the use of. Therefore the opportunity cost of a suppressor is still too high for me right now.

I just don’t have much desire to play the NFA’s silly waiting game. So while the wait remains as it currently is, a suppressor remains low on the list. If things change and it can bought without the ridiculous wait, it will go up the list quickly.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    fyi ive read the current legislation in the share act (hr 3668) and unless I'm missing it the 200 dollar tax credit for suppressors purchased AFTER 2015 has been removed

This is fine by me. Money already spent. Gives them less to whine about with all the paperwork involved to send the money back.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    It would be kind of fun to see the government actually do with less for once by sending our tax stamp money back, but I don’t care either. I already have and am enjoying my cans.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You're out money for your carry license for a time. Passports don't appear overnight.

You totally and completely missed my point. I specifically exempted made to order items like this. That license and passport are not sitting on a shelf waiting to be approved. It doesnt exist when I apply and the wait is for it to be made.

And actually, Passports can appear in 24 hours with the right reasons. (I could swear you could get one in 4 hours up in Chicago, but Google fails me)

$200 in 1934 ? 2017 | Inflation Calculator

I have one "friend" who says he'll only support the hpa if they give everyone the 200.00 tax credit (not just 2015 on) he says "its only fair I paid 200.00 so should everyone"
    Your "friend" is acting like a petulant child. Real mature. It is selfish ideals like that which prevent us from moving forward.

I bet he is against Constitutional Carry too because he paid his LTCH fees and so should everyone else... :rolleyes:

Yup, I couldn't care less either.

This is the view I have heard from everyone I know. Several are excited to get cash back, but the others just shrug it off and are happy the rest of their purchases wont have the tax.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    This is the view I have heard from everyone I know. Several are excited to get cash back, but the others just shrug it off and are happy the rest of their purchases wont have the tax.

As of now it's a sort of uncertainty fee, it may not change it may change, I get cans now, great, I get cans easier in the future for less, even better. Funny since I just committed to 2 more cans ;)

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Your "friend" is acting like a petulant child. Real mature. It is selfish ideals like that which prevent us from moving forward.

I bet he is against Constitutional Carry too because he paid his LTCH fees and so should everyone else... :rolleyes:

he can be that at times!

but he's against constitutional carry not for the reason you said, but because he thinks ALL people who carry should undergo training and proficiency testing, he can be an ass at times

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    he can be that at times!

but he's against constitutional carry not for the reason you said, but because he thinks ALL people who carry should undergo training and proficiency testing, he can be an ass at times

I am am not surprised in the least.

EDIT: So next time you see him, ask him this: Given his training opinion, how is it any different, CC vs LTCH? Do people have to get any training today to get a LTCH? (no) So how is CC any different? (hint, its not)

Now if we were Ohio with a strict training requirement as part of the application process he would have a point. But given today we have no such requirement in Indiana, its twisted logic to oppose CC based upon a training requirement that currently doesnt exist.

And yes, I too think you SHOULD get training. AND have a fire extinguisher in your car and home. AND not run with scissors. But I dont think any of those should be mandated by law.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    ... he thinks ALL people who carry should undergo training...
    I think all people who carry should undergo proficiency training. I think all people who own a gun should undergo safety training. Mandating it by law is another matter and can be a slippery slope. Crossing my fingers that the HPA will get legs!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    $200 in 1934 ? 2017 | Inflation Calculator

200 dollars in 1934= 3653.00 today!

I have one "friend" who says he'll only support the hpa if they give everyone the 200.00 tax credit (not just 2015 on) he says "its only fair I paid 200.00 so should everyone"

fyi ive read the current legislation in the share act (hr 3668) and unless I'm missing it the 200 dollar tax credit for suppressors purchased AFTER 2015 has been removed

Because that was a fantasy to get people to continue to buy suppressors. Everyone who thought about it for two seconds or more realized that language would be removed. :twocents:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    You totally and completely missed my point. I specifically exempted made to order items like this. That license and passport are not sitting on a shelf waiting to be approved. It doesnt exist when I apply and the wait is for it to be made.

And actually, Passports can appear in 24 hours with the right reasons. (I could swear you could get one in 4 hours up in Chicago, but Google fails me)

I didn't miss your point, it's just to me waiting is waiting. Doesn't matter if is a form 1/4, waiting 4-5 years for a Randall knife (or any other custom knives that could take years), ordering a Shiloh Sharps (which at one point were 4 years out), or having something else made for you; to me waiting is waiting regardless if the item is already made or has yet to be made.

If you want something enough, you do the BS involved with it. Either just by ordering something and waiting; or buying something, filling out forms, then coming back months later to pick up what you already bought.

In the world of overnight deliveries and instant gratification, the concept of waiting a couple days seems blasphemous.

daventos

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    Bedford
    I think all people who carry should undergo proficiency training. I think all people who own a gun should undergo safety training. Mandating it by law is another matter and can be a slippery slope. Crossing my fingers that the HPA will get legs!

Proficiency training is a must but the level of training needed should be left up to the individual and not mandated.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    That would be nice.

Is there any progress in the Senate?

They are up to 18 co-sponsors, with not a single Democrat (no real surprise there, though there were a few Democrats co-sponsoring it in the House).

I'm not sure it will do much of anything in the Senate until it passes the House, though.

Top Bottom