• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Well I am up the for the day. About 2 hours ago I was awaken to the sound of loud banging. It sounded like rapid, successive kicks to my front door. I rushed out of the room and saw my girls sitting up in bed freaking out ( this proved to me that I wasn't dreaming) I sent them into our bedroom. ( I forgot to say I grabbed my G19 after I woke up ) I cambered a round and went down stairs to investigate. I came to the dining room first, nothing out of place. I walked down the hall and checked the office, all is good. Came back down the hall opened the garage door, everything is good. I continued down the hall and checked the laundry room and pantry, all is good. Walked into the kitchen and checked the sliding door, kitchen was clear, sliding door glass is not broken and the bar is still in place. Finally I waked into the living room. NOTHING! So I grabed a flashlight and walked the perimiter of the house. Nothing out of place, no marks on the doors or windows, no tracks the ground ( it was sitll a little soggy from the sprinklers). In a last ditched effort to find out what the noise was I turned on the TV to make sure there was not an earthquake or explosion somewhere. So now I'm left with 2 terrified kids, an anoyed wife, and 2 hyper dogs that are feeding off the freaked out little girls. Now I sit here and wonder: WTH was that. :dunno:

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Coons in the attic?

I would be very surprised. We don't have any trees over 8 ft tall ( new construction ) They would have to be some GIANT coons I could feel it in the house.
    I did notice that the dogs never barked or were concerned until the kids came around them.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    try kicking in a door with a flat foot and you dont generally leave marks.. other than the occasional footprint in dust / dirt.

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    try kicking in a door with a flat foot and you dont generally leave marks.. other than the occasional footprint in dust / dirt.
    I have been told that before, however our porch is very dusty from all the home construction going on and from us planting last weekend. Our front door is black.

I have seen Canadian Geese perched on other houses before. I wonder if there were a couple on my roof and began to fight. At least once a day they have a battle royal near my house. There is a pond 3 doors down from me and the construction is just on the other side of that so they have been "pushed" closer to my house because of the noise and commotion.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Do you have motion sensor lights? Mine was on around 11p last night and got me wondering a bit.

How far is your headboard from the wall? I hear that same noise like two, three times a day sometimes ;)

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    How far is your headboard from the wall? I hear that same noise like two, three times a day sometimes ;)[/QUOTE]

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

msteiner17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I would agree with the bird theory... I've had it happen quite a few times when I will be sitting at my desk at home, browsing the forum, when... BANG. Something hits the window 2 feet from me! Grab a weapon, open the blinds and check the window, and then to the front door to investigate. NOTHING... damn birds...!!

Big J

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Evansville
    At least you got a good practice run of clearing the house after being jolted awake. Like if someone had tried to break in. Good thing to do and you have a better idea of how it could be if someone does try to break in. Would you do anything different?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    At this point I wouldn't dismiss it lightly. You're just guessing. It's good and light out now so I'd really get my "Sherlock Holmes" pipe rolling and scour the area thoroughly until you've figured out what's up!

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    At least you got a good practice run of clearing the house after being jolted awake. Like if someone had tried to break in. Good thing to do and you have a better idea of how it could be if someone does try to break in. Would you do anything different?

Good point. Because of the proximity of the kids bedrooms to the top of the stairs I probably would have stayed closer to the stair entrance/exit putting myself between the kids and possible attacker instead of going straight into their rooms. Since they were already awake I should have kept it visible.

It did make me realize I unknowingly built a house that gives me a tactical advantage coming from the upstairs to the downstairs. The stairs begin one way stops a large landing then continue the opposite direction from the loft upstairs I can see all of the stairs, half the dining room and about 8 feet down each hall. Also the lights in the far hall that runs the same direction as the stairs and the carraige and porch lights will show the shadow of any would-be attacker.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Do you have a brick chimney? I've seen some pretty crappy brick work on new homes, perhaps some bricks, or even mortar let loose. I lived in an old house once, and one night I heard what sounded like somebody stomping on the roof. A brick had fell from the chimney and rolled down the roof.

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Do you have a brick chimney? I've seen some pretty crappy brick work on new homes, perhaps some bricks, or even mortar let loose. I lived in an old house once, and one night I heard what sounded like somebody stomping on the roof. A brick had fell from the chimney and rolled down the roof.

Good Idea Im getting ready to go on a dog walk so I'll check that too.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Question - was your wife "annoying" before the incident or because of the incident? Just wandering if you just threw that in there or if it was part of the story?:D

Kidding of course.

You don't have a dog do you? Sometimes mine will get to itching while laying on the hard wood floors and they bang their leg hard in rapid succession as the dog scratches his neck.

glad everyone is okay.

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Question - was your wife "annoying" before the incident or because of the incident? Just wandering if you just threw that in there or if it was part of the story?:D

Kidding of course.

You don't have a dog do you? Sometimes mine will get to itching while laying on the hard wood floors and they bang their leg hard in rapid succession as the dog scratches his neck.

glad everyone is okay.

HA HA HA!! She was annoyed with my "jumping" into action ( cambering a round) and possibly my hesitation to whether or not to grab the AR.
    And my worthless dogs were snoring.

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Chimney looks good. Nothing coming off. Double checked the front door. None of the thick layer of dust has been disturbed. I did notice a LOT of bird poop in the area of the front door and on the shutters on the second level. Maybe they had something to do with it

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    dont be so quick to dismiss raccoons. they dont need a tree to climb up your house. Even seen em climb the corners on aluminum siding (I used to own/operate a wildlife control biz) And they WILL sound like a two hundred pund man in your attic. Make sure you have a chimney cap and no holes is your soffits n eaves.

could also be kids out ... %^**$% nocking ...nockin on doors then running

Top Bottom