• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Wanted some opinions. I live in a new cookie cutter home in a subdivision. Its a nicer subdivision but its not the quality of the older brick ranches or anything.

I have neighbors on both sides with little children plus a child of my own. My walls are sheet rock. Prob 1/2 inch.

I have a 870 with 18.5 inch barrell for HD. I had it in the safe with OO buck. The more I read on the internet i decided this prob wasn't the best with the possibility of wall penetration and children in the way for a stray pellet.

I had a few guys tell me to use #4 shot turkey loads. So I got some winchester 2 3/4 turkey loads. 1300 fps and 1.5 ounce shot.

I also saw some 25.00 a box HD ammo at dicks but it was made up of #2 and #4 shot. decided that can't be much better than my turkey loads.

I also saw on the web guys saying #4 buck shot.

Will my turkey loads do the job? Killing power with minimal wall penetration is my objective.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Do you really want to trust a load to quickly stop a bad guy that want easily cut through several pieces of sheetrock? Use #1 or 00 buck. With a good self-defense load at home defense ranges you won't need to worry about "stray pellets." You'll either hit or miss.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    +1 for 00 Buck. You can research it 'til you're blue in the face, hear a few other opinions....... It is the preferred load of military and PD..... I have Hornaday TAP 00 in all of my HD shottys.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County

Second that!
    2l7ygk.jpg

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I use Remington 2 3/4" 00 buck.

I know it won't kill the intruder on contact, but maybe you would be interested in less than lethal rounds such as salt pellets or rubber slugs?

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    your turkey loads will do just fine , likely engagement distance is less than 30 feet that should equate to about a 3-4 inch pattern , about the only way that wont penetrate for a kill shot on a center mass hit would be if they are wearing a vest , I use my own handloads of 0 buck and no 4 buck to hunt coyotes but my hd shotgun is loaded with no 2 turkey loads

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    your turkey loads will do just fine , likely engagement distance is less than 30 feet that should equate to about a 3-4 inch pattern , about the only way that wont penetrate for a kill shot on a center mass hit would be if they are wearing a vest , I use my own handloads of 0 buck and no 4 buck to hunt coyotes but my hd shotgun is loaded with no 2 turkey loads

If they have a vest that is why you carry a slug in yer side saddle. The slug might not penetrate the vest either, but it won't matter much.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    Couple of thoughts. First, and forgive the attitude, it doesn't really matter what you shoot - shot doesn't disperse very far in the distances "typically" seen in home defense situations. An ounce of shot, regardless of size, is a lethal force beyond belief. You are going to have a 6" cloud of destruction.
    Now - 00 buck is the standard - you really can't arge what agencies/military uses daily. That stated, you may want to think about something along the line of #4 - nothing you hit will know the difference and, in the case of a miss, maybe some of the individual pellets won't penetrate as far as others.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    I am not sure it matters if you wear a vest or not - getting hit by an ounce of shot going ~1900 feet per second will homoginize your internal organs. The shock of the impact at close range can be just as deadly.

clyde

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    As another poster mentioned, boxotruth.com is a good resource. He will, however, recommend buckshot, that's a fun site to visit, very interesting, you will enjoy it. Personally, I think you would be fine with the turkey load, I'd back it up with a couple of No. 4 buck shells if there was a concern, maybe as a reload on a saddle or some such.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom