• ...and so much more!
  • Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Wondering if anyone in the INGO Hive has ever dealt with CarMax? Is it just another typical dealer as far as trades and used car pricing?

Its a pretty good drive for us so I thought that I would ask here and maybe save a trip...

TIA,

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    they really are a "no haggle" dealer. they are pretty selective on what they take on trade and the prices they have marked on their cars is pretty much their lowest price.

down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County

I had a friend at work who got the run around last year from the one on 96th St in Indy (trying to tack on some extra charges after the check was already cut) and when I was there looking around with another friend a few years ago they had some cars listed with "Clean CarFax" that clearly had overspray from poorly done repair work. Just from those two instances, I won't deal with them.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Thanks guys.... just what I expected. About the best dealer that I have ever dealt with was Saturn, a very good trade offer and the no haggle pricing, and accepted a work discount... too bad after driving the car my wife decided she wanted to go back to an SUV. :dunno:

Anyhow, thanks again....

latj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    My gripe about CarMax... I like to check out the cars before I talk to anyone. They have their lot blocked off so you can't even go around the cars before you go into the office and talk to someone. I didn't even bother stopping.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I haven't dealt with CarMax other then looking on their website, I love Andy Mohr personally, the lot in Plainfield. Bought my last 2 vehicles there.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I would buy there but, never sell there. I had an at the time 4 year old Mustang GT with low miles on it. I also had over $10,000 in mods done to the car, it was FAST!!!!

I went there to trade it in, and they offered me about $4,500 for it!!!!!!! I cannot say it was that exact amount but it was in the ball park. They told me that if I would have left it stock, they would have payed me over double that but, that will not sell any vehicle with any mods to it. They would have to spend the cash to put everything back to stock.

It just left a bad taste in my mouth...

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I would buy there but, never sell there. I had an at the time 4 year old Mustang GT with low miles on it. I also had over $10,000 in mods done to the car, it was FAST!!!!

I went there to trade it in, and they offered me about $4,500 for it!!!!!!! I cannot say it was that exact amount but it was in the ball park. They told me that if I would have left it stock, they would have payed me over double that but, that will not sell any vehicle with any mods to it. They would have to spend the cash to put everything back to stock.

It just left a bad taste in my mouth...

that's crazy..so they would pay to put stock rims, exhaust back on a car? rather then sell it for a higher price like every other dealer? :n00b:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    We've actually bought from them twice and sold to them three times. I was happy all the way around (except for selling back the Impreza /sniffle). :dunno:

I do agree that having to talk to a salesperson and not being able to wander the lot is annoying, but then again, when we bought the Impreza, we went there looking specifically for that car because we saw it on the website the night before. AND, it was so busy that day (July 4th a few years ago) that there were no salespeople available to help us, so they let us wander the lot. When a salesperson finally became free, they actually found us standing at the Impreza, but that was after we had walked around and talked about at least a dozen other cars first.

But then again, I'm pretty easy. My requirements when I bought the Suby were: no killer seatbelts, at least two cup holders, a CD player, manual tranny, two-door car. Now my requirements are even easier: it has to be a Subaru, preferably of the WRX variety. ;) (I know, I know. I'm such a girl.)

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    that's crazy..so they would pay to put stock rims, exhaust back on a car? rather then sell it for a higher price like every other dealer? :n00b:
    yes!! or if the cost of returning the car to bone stock was too much it would simply go to auction, i used to work there a few years ago and i've seen everything from custom stereo's, rims/tires, billet accesories to vortex superchargers go in the dumpster, don't even look at it like you're gonna steal it or you're FIRED!!! (camera's all over the place) did know a couple guys that would pay off the garbage truck driver to let them "shop" the truck before it got compacted, quite lucrative for both.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    But then again, I'm pretty easy. My requirements when I bought the Suby were: no killer seatbelts, at least two cup holders, a CD player, manual tranny, two-door car. Now my requirements are even easier: it has to be a Subaru, preferably of the WRX variety. ;) (I know, I know. I'm such a girl.)
    what's a "killer seatbelt" :dunno:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    You said you are easy... :D
    Don't make me hafta hurt you! :xmad: ;)
    what's a "killer seatbelt" :dunno:
    Those automatic ones... you know that slide over the top of the door and lock you in when you start the car. The car I had that had those had them really in the wrong spot for me, and they sliced right across my neck. I guess I was too vertically challenged for that car.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    Those automatic ones... you know that slide over the top of the door and lock you in when you start the car. The car I had that had those had them really in the wrong spot for me, and they sliced right across my neck. I guess I was too vertically challenged for that car.

I hate those too!! I've only had 1 car that had those, NEVER again

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    We've bought 3 cars I think from there. Sold 3 to them too I think. We have had no problems with them and will more than likely do business with them again.

I hate the having to walk around with a salesperson thing though. That really REALLY annoys me but their prices were decent. I also hate the stupid stickers they put on the car that say CARMAX. UGH! I HATE stickers being on my car and I HATE advertising for them!

I have to agree about Saturn though. Not only was that probably the best car I have ever owned but they were so helpful to me. Although, maybe it's just a Michigan thing. We bought our minivan over the internet from some place in Jackson,MI about 12 years ago and they drove it to our house from 2 hours away just so we could test drive it. We didn't have to buy it. If we didn't want it, they would have taken it back. That is customer service. I don't know if they would still do that today or not though. Both times though were in Michigan.

crawfish

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    south indy
    I bought a 2006 durango hemi from them about 3 and a half years ago I later found out it was In a descent wreck and am now dealing with some issues overall I was under blue book when I bought it and it has worked out for us but they deal in a ton of wrecked rental and fleet cars so do a carfax before you buy and look across country and they will ship cheaper than you can drive .goodluck with them. I also got them down 700 dollars when I purchased mine.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    My wife was looking for a PT Cruiser. Carmax on 96th had what she was looking for and at a price she liked. She asked me to give it the once over to see if it was worth her time to check it out. Upon arriving at the lot I started to go over to the cars and up pops the helpful sales man....lol. I told him to give me his card and if I needed anything I would come find him. I looked at the particular vehicle she wanted and decided it was what she was looking for. But being her car the choice was hers to make. I informed the salesman of this and wanted to schedule a test drive. The salesman asked if I wanted to take her the car to facilitate this. So off we go to 10th and girlschool to my wifes work. She takes the car for a test drive and decides she likes/wants it. The salesman and I get back to the lot and he places the car on "hold" so the wife can come and finalize her deal. My wife and I meet back at Carmax to get the car and discuss trade in value. We informed the salesman that we already had approved financing and he offered to see if he could do better with their lenders. They offered her a fair trade amount, and got her a better interest rate for financing on the car. Within a week or so she had an issue with the horn, so she called them up,took it in and got a loaner vehicle. They fixed her issues without any hesitation. So in our experiences, they have been as good if not better than most other dealers we have dealt with.:twocents:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    My experience buying from them was a positive one. I shopped their website for the exact make, model, year, mileage, transmission, engine, color, and loadout that I was looking for.... and they had it shipped across the country for me. Still driving it 3 years later with zero maintenance issues.

Top Bottom