• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    i was at the range and a guy had a brand new rock river (who is touted as having good quality control) but his stock was installed improperly; consequently, he did not have the parts needed to run his gun (various springs/pins, buffer retainer...I was leaving the range so i gave him parts from mine to make it work....there is no difference in some of these parts and one knucklehead can screw up an otherwise good quality rifle setup....
    Short version: Two used guns, same price. AR #1 is a factory built (sorry, I have to pick a name) Olympic/DPMS/(newer)Bushmaster. AR #2 is an average Frankengun; Spikes lower, unknown upper, Rainier/BCM barrel, AIM/PSA/unknown BCG, unknown LPK. I'm buying #2. Actually, I wouldn't be interested in either of the 2 AR's but assuming I had to choose one... If the seller/builder is an unknown, or the factory has a less than sterling reputation, the parts play a BIG role. In this scenario, I can fix stupid.

Long version: A perfectly serviceable AR can be assembled by nearly anyone who has the slightest bit of mechanical inclination, and this can be proven at nearly any range on almost any day. They're everywhere. It's also true that some people manage to screw it up, and you see those AR's at the range as well... usually in the form of canted gas blocks. But I'd wager that most of us have had a new factory firearm that needed immediate "attention" before it was functional, or at least reliable... a Saiga 12 "Vodka Special" is an excellent example of this genre, and it's based on the uber reliable AK pattern. And while Taurus makes some guns that are perfectly reliable for many years, I'm pretty sure I'd take a Frankengun built by some members of INGO over a Taurus AR, all other things being equal.

So, yeah; haters gonna hate. But how much less is an AR with a Noveske barrel worth because the knuckledragger didn't stake the castle nut? For that matter, does staking the castle nut add $50 dollars to the value of a gun? $100? Remember, a hater doesn't know how tight the castle nut was torqued to, only that it's staked... which applies equally to factory builds. Now, if I were to see red loctite oozing out of the barrel nut onto the receiver, that would raise a red flag. But not knowing what a standard USGI barrel nut was torqued to is no big deal; if it's more than hand tight and the gas tube fits, it's within spec. With other barrel nuts, you really should use a torque wrench.

Disclaimer: I am not a factory trained armor, nor have I attended any civilian or military armor schools. That said, the TM and specs for an AR are widely and easily available, and at some point I learned how to reed and rite. I started disassembling everything in the house as soon as I discovered tools, much to the chagrin of my parents. I rebuilt the the top end of my Suzuki TM-75 when I was 12, and a VW Bug engine at 15. Then a Chevy 327 at 17... etc, etc... I gather that this would be unusual these days. So ask yourself, how many people that assemble AR's in a factory have any experience (past employee training)? Do they even shoot, or is their job "just a paycheck."

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    i was at the range and a guy had a brand new rock river (who is touted as having good quality control) but his stock was installed improperly; consequently, he did not have the parts needed to run his gun (various springs/pins, buffer retainer...I was leaving the range so i gave him parts from mine to make it work....there is no difference in some of these parts and one knucklehead can screw up an otherwise good quality rifle setup....

The last "failure" of a factory AR was in February. I guy came to the range with his new AR (coincidentally, it was also a Rock River), and it was a single shot. He asked me if I'd take a look at it, so I did. The BCG was slathered with grease...

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    BD8746A6-EDD5-4E3F-A6CE-A5954FD91E85_zpss8jhmt7z.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Doesn't matter. What I said was true... It's a forum post not a freakin term paper

If you are going to slam other members for stupid advice at least do it in proper form.
    That is all I am saying.

Yes, there is truth in your post but dang it man, that is just hard to read.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    It may have be good advice. But I won't ever know since I don't read giant run on blocks of text. All I thought was TLDR and skimmed right on past it.

You may have great advice, but if most people just skip your posts because they are formatted as poorly as those were, then your advice is pretty worthless.

And you're right.....it is a forum. You should learn to post using standard forum writing etiquette.

Also, there's old people on these forums. Do you know how hard it is for old eyes to read something like that giant block of text? Heck, I'm not even old, and it hurts my eyes.

Doesn't matter. What I said was true... It's a forum post not a freakin term paper

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    they do that crap all the time....because they think there is a difference between a $1500 ar and a $550 ar15...there is but not a $1000 difference....its the guys that have only one gun and the guys that dont really shoot...i have seen the $1500 fail and a $450 palmetto just run and run and run and run with no cleaning....i have all spikes rifles at least until the canoe accident and its a good blend of quality and value...that being said...i could not tell a difference between a sig, an armalite, a palmetto, a spikes, a smith and wesson, or a bushmaster (which a douce at the lgs called a trashmaster)..i just like the logos on the spikes and they have the cool factor for me......they are full of crap and believe (without testing) the crap they read on here....if you dont believe that there is crap on here...post something....you will get five wrong answers and two right one...one dude suggesting that im limp wristing...one dude saying paragraphs....one dude that says to polish it...there is so much junk information but you just have to try the stuff for yourself to get the truth...i have owned and built many ar15s....there are some definite quality difference but things you wont even care about until you 20,000 rounds....why buy a 3000 ar 15? its crazy...the heart and soul of an ar is the bcg, barrel, and a drop in trigger(one of the best enhancements to accuracy and enjoyment of the rifle)....i can replace the barrel 4 times and get the best bcg and still be ahead with a home built ar15 and still be under 3000.....i would rather have five of the 600 ar 15s than one $3000 ar 15....
    I disagree with your assesment and my opinion is based off of my own experiences and not anyone else's. Id love to see your $600 gun outshoot my $2500 NOVESKE or the like. Set up the time and place that is good for both our schedules and we will do a scientific test :)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom