• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    just wondering if anyone has actually called in squirrels or if its just easier and less effort to go into the woods and sit there under a nest and wait for one to come down.

My uncle showed me a way to use two quaters ($0.25) to imitate a squirrel's call. I can't say that it's been very effective in luring them in, but it sounds pretty accurate. Supposedly it's a fighting call, which would lure in a dominant squirrel.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    My dad

My dad occasionally gets squirrels to come to him, around the yard, to get a cracker from his hand,,,he make a smacking noise with his lips, sometimes they will peek around the garage and cautiously come up to him,
    Its funny to watch, Im waiting for one to jump up on em.

He said since he was little he always tried to get a squirrel to react to his little chatter...
    could be BS
    but he has done it...

We call him the squirrel master:laugh:

I will try to get this on video some day.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I have successfully called in squirrels. It's quite fun when you are able to do it. I have two observations:

1. A squirrel call is not a squirrel call. I once owned an excellent squirrel call that I had used successfully to call in many squirrels. It fell out of my pocket on a hunt and was lost forever. I replaced it with a popular brand bellows type. I've never called in a squirrel since.

2. My experience is that success at calling in squirrels is directly proportional to the amount of cover/camoflage you have. Once you've made the call, they will be looking for the source (YOU!). You had better be sitting motionless, quiet, and obscured. If they see you before you see them, its over. You will think, "I just can't call in squirrels." In reality you probably did, but they were more vigilant than you were.

3. Be patient. Make you call. Wait. When you think you've waited long enough, wait some more. The call can be heard at great distance in the woods, and it might take the amorous squirrel a while to get there.

4. Less is more. Make your call and wait. Resist the temptation to tap that thing again. The more commotion you make, the better chance you will be spotted. I do a second call only when I hear an answered call somewhere in the distance.

Milsurp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have successfully called in squirrels. It's quite fun when you are able to do it. I have two observations:

1. A squirrel call is not a squirrel call. I once owned an excellent squirrel call that I had used successfully to call in many squirrels. It fell out of my pocket on a hunt and was lost forever. I replaced it with a popular brand bellows type. I've never called in a squirrel since.

2. My experience is that success at calling in squirrels is directly proportional to the amount of cover/camoflage you have. Once you've made the call, they will be looking for the source (YOU!). You had better be sitting motionless, quiet, and obscured. If they see you before you see them, its over. You will think, "I just can't call in squirrels." In reality you probably did, but they were more vigilant than you were.

3. Be patient. Make you call. Wait. When you think you've waited long enough, wait some more. The call can be heard at great distance in the woods, and it might take the amorous squirrel a while to get there.

4. Less is more. Make your call and wait. Resist the temptation to tap that thing again. The more commotion you make, the better chance you will be spotted. I do a second call only when I hear an answered call somewhere in the distance.

Thanks for those tips! I have had the knight & hale 4in1 bellows call for a few years and have NEVER called a squirrel in with it.

So do you usually just pick a spot and hunker down and wait perfectly still until you see a squirrel?

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Thanks for those tips! I have had the knight & hale 4in1 bellows call for a few years and have NEVER called a squirrel in with it.

So do you usually just pick a spot and hunker down and wait perfectly still until you see a squirrel?

I am uncertain of the intent of your question, but will try to clarify. I don't call in squirrels that I see. I call in squirrels that I don't see.

I will pick good squirrel territory: an area with visible dens, trees of the variety on which the squirrels are currently cutting (i.e., hickory, beech, walnut, etc.), and thick enough foilage to give me adequate cover but not so thick as to provide me limited view.

I pick a spot that gives me a decent range of view while also providing some cover. I wait a few minutes, listen, and look to ensure that there isn't already one easily identifiable for the taking. Once things have settled, I make the call, and then wait some more for a squirrel to be called into an area. I hear them coming first as they displace branches jumping from tree to tree. Slowly orient your sight to the sound. No abrupt movements from you now; they are in your territory and are looking for the source. I try to stay perfectly still until they are within range and I have a shot.

The above is my primary method. That said, I have used the call in one other way. You know that situation when you have seen the squirrel and you know the squirrel has seen you. He's just around the trunk and you know where, but you can't see him. I sometimes tap the call in those situations, and on occasion I have had the squirrel stick his head out as if to say, "WTF?" -- much to his undoing.

I think the call becomes pretty much useless when the leaves are off the trees.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I bought a Primos Squirel Buster over the summer and every time I've tried it has'nt worked real well but I might not be doin it right, it just sounds like a crow call every time I try it.

RainRider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Slip into the woods w/ camo on . Find a nice spot / sit down under a tree and relax. Use a 22 and it becomes even more fun. I used to love to hunt squirrel but do not go that much any more . I am afraid to ruin my deer spots by being in the woods too much during squirrel season.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    If you really want to have some fun, hunt with dogs, I don't think you can here in Indiana.

There's no law against it & have seen people doing it on public FWA's. I tried it once with a dog I had but didn't see a thing in areas I knew had squirrels. It just seemed the squirrels could see the dog running around & stayed hidden.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    It could have been a coincidence but last year there were a couple of times that about 3-5 minutes after I used my Knight & Hale 4-in-1 call I had squirrels pretty much walk (well, lope I guess would be more correct)straight up to be me.

I've sat in my back yard & used the call & they didn't even bother to look at me. :dunno:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If you just sit still and quiet you can kill all the squirrels you can carry in no time right now. You don't have to say anything. They are going "nutz" trying to find enough food and chasing each other all day long, from dawn to dark.

If you sit down and shut up and don't see a squirrel in ten minutes right now you are in the worst area in the woods, move. Find a walnut tree or white oak or red oak.

If you can't recognise those from 20-30 feet you need a tree book in your pocket more than a squirrel call.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I can't say I've had much success "calling" them, but when you know there is one on the other side of the tree, or don't have a good shot at it, a quick bark from a call usually changes that. BTW does anyone make a tactical rail mount squirrel call? haha.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I can't say I've had much success "calling" them, but when you know there is one on the other side of the tree, or don't have a good shot at it, a quick bark from a call usually changes that. BTW does anyone make a tactical rail mount squirrel call? haha.

The true fact is, that is absolutely the only thing a squirrel call is suppose to do. Any thing else beyond that is pure coincidence. Any one who thinks they are going to sit in the woods and call squirrels in like turkeys or coyotes is pure wasting their time. It's a novice joke like sending the new guy on a job sight to the tool crib to pick up his Christmas turkey/ham/metric crescent wrench or left handed screw driver. A fool's errand.

I can't believe it has to be spelled out and diagramed but it's gone beyond funny at this point to just painful to read this thread.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    No sir it is just now getting funny. :laugh:
    DSC08315.jpg

Top Bottom