• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    just wondering if anyone has actually called in squirrels or if its just easier and less effort to go into the woods and sit there under a nest and wait for one to come down.

My buddy had a weird approach to squirel hunting. He would take off through the woods screaming at the top of his lungs. It really worked. He scored big time.

willhirsch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    I have heard of people using a squirrel distress call, like a young one got hit by an owl, and getting a response.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    You know the best way to hunt them? Get them close? GO DEER hunting, frickin every time I'm in my treestand I either have one in the same tree with me or on the ground 5 feet away.

I always see the buggers when I'm deer hunting and deer when I'm squirrel hunting....

I may just start doing the squirrel thing from my tree stand, just not climb all that much :)

mcgpz1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    used squirrel whistle(distress call) once and had one come charging in like a rhino :ar15: they say they work better early in the year

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    You know the best way to hunt them? Get them close? GO DEER hunting, frickin every time I'm in my treestand I either have one in the same tree with me or on the ground 5 feet away.

I always see the buggers when I'm deer hunting and deer when I'm squirrel hunting....

I may just start doing the squirrel thing from my tree stand, just not climb all that much :)

Take your range finder, notebook, and compass along up the tree. After you've killed five climb down and follow your notes straight out and pick 'em up.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    i only use a squirrel call to get them to maybe bark back so i have a general idea as to where they are or to maybe stick their head out if they are behind a tree.

Endo151

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    Reading some of my brothers old posts and came upon this one. I know it is old but had to comment. Clt46910 taught me to hunt squirrel when I was young. And he also often time used me as a decoy.....

He would "call" to the squirrels with two half dollars to get them chattering. That way he knew where they were. Mind you, they would be on the back side of the tree and just occasionally stick their heads around to see where we were. So he would send me around to the back side of the tree, under them, to get them to come around the tree so he could get a good head shot. Well, let me tell you, a head shot squirrel does a lot of thrashing as it falls to the ground. You would think I would have realized that this was a bad idea but it took me 10 or twenty squirrels falling on me to realize big brother was messing with me.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I pack air in the side of my cheek like you would tobacco, against the upper job and squeak air out between my teeth and the inside of my cheek. It sounds like a convincing enough squirrel bark that I've gotten them to respond.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I have, but its been years...I have used several of the tips listed but also have a bellow type call which also has a squeak whistle on the end. Its made by Knight & Hale.

Not really calling them but it about putting them at ease, getting them to chatter in response, or curious enough to show themselves.

Last edited:

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Yes, mixed results as all above. Mr. Squirrel call will really get them riled up and moving toward the faux death match with the hawk. Shake and beat a bush during the calling period for best results.

Top Bottom