• tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Hello,

I have.

But as a previous poster said, it's sort of hit or miss.

Make a loose fist and make wet kissing sounds into it. Sounds like a squirrel cutting nuts. Works as well as, if not better than, the commercial calls.

Josh <><

Have done that many a time over the years, seems to be a sound that peaks their curiosity, just don't over due it. Have called deer in as close as 6 paces. When a squirrel gets close, just get ready to fire, but don't use the loose fist, just the lips. Cuts down on unnecessary movement which might spook them. Have stopped and shot several deer by grunting using only my vocal cords, cuts down on movement also.

Last edited:

rubicon_joey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    I've had herds of squirrels trained to come to me twice a day. It's called an auto feeder. They come from every where when they hear the corn hit the ground. I've even had them come in my deer stand after my payday! No need to call squirrels, just go where the food is.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    found all kinds of great places in Morgan-Monroe by driving around with the windows down listening for them barking.

We now have at least ten good areas for next season. :D

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    The easiest and most reliable way for me to call in a squirrel is to have my deer gun in my hand. Same works for deer and my squirrel gun.

dosent that make you so mad, you wand to turn a squirrel insideout with a slug, or shoot a deer with .22. i have shot squirrel with bow while bow hunting.

Bowling_R

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Guilford
    I don't know about anyone else, but I used acorn cover scent this year during bow season and it drove the squirrels crazy!!!!!!!!

No bull!!! Early one morning I hosed my boots down with the stuff and went about business as usual.
    Later that morning as usual they were everywhere....but they kept getting closer and closer.....it almost looked like they were pissed or something!!!

It got so bad that 1 had climbed up the tree my stand was in and was at my feet under the stand, and 1 was about 5 feet away from me on this vine, It was funny, they were barking their butts off!!!! but was making me nervous cause the one one the vine kept twitching like it was about to jump on me!!!!!

Finally I moved and spooked them and they tucked tail outta there, I still laugh thinking about that ..

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I've called in sick when I had the flu, I've even called in because I was feeling batty, but even if I feel squirrelly I don't think my boss would excuse me if I called in squirrels.

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Don't hunt for them much but an old man I used to go with just clapped his hands or smacked two 12 ga shells together. Worked for us then. I would guess it was like nuts dropping or a bark call.

newbomb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    southwest indiana
    I have had some luck with the bark or chatter type calls but its usualy a locater type of situation. The best call out there for getting them to come to you is the squirrel whistle. When using this distress sound and shaking a few limbs on trees I have had MANY squirrels come running down the tree and right to me. If your going to try this you might want to consider a shotgun. The whistle is a simple looking disk with a hole through it, and I promise you its a blast to take to the woods!

maarlborogto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    a good one is made by knight and hale its a barker and also includes a squirrel distress feature i call quite a few in with that if they dont come to you they will proably start barking

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'd never tried using them until this year. Hadn't planned on ever doing it, but we had a couple in the store that I bought for Sean to add to his collection. He's got a collection of turkey and deer calls, figured he'd like these. So far, they seem useful for getting them to bark, but they don't stick their heads out much. Didn't have them this evening, but it occurred to me that they might be useful for getting squirrels on the move to pause long enough to get an easier shot on them. I'll have him take one out next time and we'll try it out.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    If you really want to have some fun, hunt with dogs, I don't think you can here in Indiana. I don't know actually, but in TN we could when we lived there. Little feist dogs, if I spelled their names right. I don't know, it was a blast though.

Mountain Feists. Awesome dogs. I severely want one or two of those little guys but I'm heading back to school soon and don't know what my living situation will be then. May end up in an apartment and don't want to invest big bucks into a squirrel dog only to need to give it away.

Also, you can do a squirrel bark with your own mouth. Just put a pocket of air in your cheek, and close it off with the inside of your cheek, against your upper gum at the back of your mouth. Slowly squeeze the air out between the inside of your cheek in your gum to do their long, slow bark. Push your finger against it rapidly to do a quick series of barks. I learned this when I was a kid, out in the yard doing calls to squirrels and getting them to call back. Yeah, I was a weird kid.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I've never "called in a squirrel".... squirrels bark as a warning / alarm response.

I have however vocally "barked" at squirrels to get them to stop and/or reposition so I could get a more clear shot at them.

Squirrel calling has it's uses, not sure you can call one in like you can a turkey but I know it's GREAT for getting them to stop and look around.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    ...Squirrel calling has it's uses, not sure you can call one in like you can a turkey but I know it's GREAT for getting them to stop and look around.

You can. I've done it. Repeatedly. I don't know why folks keep perpetuating this myth that squirrels can't be called in?

You don't have to make your call sound like an angry squirrel. Perhaps that is what some people are doing wrong?

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I don't know about anyone else, but I used acorn cover scent this year during bow season and it drove the squirrels crazy!!!!!!!!

No bull!!! Early one morning I hosed my boots down with the stuff and went about business as usual.
    Later that morning as usual they were everywhere....but they kept getting closer and closer.....it almost looked like they were pissed or something!!!

It got so bad that 1 had climbed up the tree my stand was in and was at my feet under the stand, and 1 was about 5 feet away from me on this vine, It was funny, they were barking their butts off!!!! but was making me nervous cause the one one the vine kept twitching like it was about to jump on me!!!!!

Finally I moved and spooked them and they tucked tail outta there, I still laugh thinking about that ..

My father and I both stopped using corn and acorn cover scent because of this, the squirrels drove us berserk in deer season! He actually had one charge down the tree at him... I've had them sit 8 or 10 feet away in another tree and eyeball me, a hawk once too.
    I know I'm sitting still and being quiet when hawks and squirrels will get that close...
    Almost took out a squirrel with a 12 gauge slug this last season just for making me think he was a deer. I put the scope on him to check him out and he stood up and barked and I swear he flipped me off, I almost pulled the trigger right then.... :laugh:

daclamdvm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    I haven't had luck calling either but have no reason to doubt it would work if done correctly. Many animals communicate vocally but you do have to learn their language to converse with them. I've had luck with the sit and wait method, but I've also gotten my fair share of squirrels by just walking and watching for them on the ground or on trees. Once they run up a tree you can usually position yourself to get a shot. Depend on how many hollows there are in the tree!

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Ain't exactly a call, but when I was a youngin' (40 some odd years ago) I lived on a farm and we had farmhands. Hard-workin' farmhands didn't make a whole lotta money back then (and probably still don't) so, to feed his family, one ole boy would go back and hunt our 80 acres of woods for squirrel. Don't know if there was a season or limit back then, but he paid them no mind if there was and he went to the woods about every other night. I can still remember watchin' him walking through the barnlot with his 22 rifle under one arm and a cat tied to a brick with a piece of binder twine. He's set that cat under a tree someplace and then shoot the tree rats as they gathered to cuss at the poor kitty! Never ever saw him leave the woods without his bib pockets full of busytails. God's honest truth. I suppose that would actually be legal under todays laws as well.

Top Bottom