• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyr7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    I have carried in the Hammond Cabela's. The at one point had a sign stating that firearms and bows had to be checked at the counter, but attached to that sign was another one that said it did not apply to permitted carriers.

As for the dumb laws that Hammond still has on the books, McDermott can kis my @$$, state law now supersedes city ordinance. I still stay out of city buildings but if they don't have a court housed in them I am not worried about carrying in them.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    I'm confused, the city of Hammond has no bearing on firearms laws that aren't on the state books, and if Cabela's is the issue then going to another Cabela's doesn't vote a dime of the companies revenue, just where the taxes go and maybe if it came down to one purchase who wins store of the year award internally?

And I don't see how any of that plays into "Carry issues and self defense"

:dunno:
    Contact corporate. I've carried in the WI ones numerous times. I'm sure the manager at that store would not like to get smacked up-side the head a few times by the higher ups.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So I'm an Indiana resident with an ltch, I was planning on making the trec to Cabelas. As I understand it I can't carry my pistol in Hammond??? If I can't carry there I'm heading to Dundee.

So the store says no carrying here, that is their right. But, regardles of where the store is at, Hammond itslef does not have the authority to say you cannot carry inside city limits.

Please read, IC 35-47-11.1-2

Sec. 2. Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political subdivision may not regulate:
    (1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;
    (2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories; and
    (3) commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition, and firearm accessories...

I have been to Hammond before and OC'd , while I got some looks from the local LEO's not once did they approach me.

As far as I understand it, Hammond still has handgun laws on the book even though they are not enforceable. From what I gather here, instead of patronizing an establishment that lies within the limits of a town that does not pull laws when they are null and void, he "played it safe" by going somewhere that was out of the way but still respected his rights.

That's the point you do not have to leave Hammond to "play it safe" they cannot enfore the laws anyway.

Hammond is not the only place that does not pull old laws off the books, all the States and the Federal Government does it too. :twocents:

I have carried in the Hammond Cabela's. The at one point had a sign stating that firearms and bows had to be checked at the counter, but attached to that sign was another one that said it did not apply to permitted carriers.

As for the dumb laws that Hammond still has on the books, McDermott can kis my @$$, state law now supersedes city ordinance. I still stay out of city buildings but if they don't have a court housed in them I am not worried about carrying in them.

OP is/was complaining about the City of Hammond's (CoH) current ordianance that are still on the books. CoH has a ban on guns at the city parks as well a a limit on the amount of ammo you can have at home (500 rounds max).

Last year when the new pre-emptive gun law went into effective it made these laws null and void. However the City of Hammond still has them on their books. The mayor and city council refused to remove them.

A civil lawsuit was filed by some Hammond residents (more info here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...se/165392-hammond_is_looking_for_trouble.html)
    and the judge determined that Hammond was/is in the right! :n00b:

That they can keep the ordinance on the books since
    1) they are not enforcing them
    2) there is a disclaimer on their website saying not all ordianace may be valid

Needless to say the case is moving to appeal but in the meantime the laws on still on the books.

So the OP to show is dislike of what Hammond is doing has choosen to drive to a DIFFERENT cabela's and spend his money OUTSIDE the city of Hammond.

Hammond for those of you not in NWI is "above the LAW" in terms of what they do.

-Jedi

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    OP is/was complaining about the City of Hammond's (CoH) current ordianance that are still on the books. CoH has a ban on guns at the city parks as well a a limit on the amount of ammo you can have at home (500 rounds max).

Last year when the new pre-emptive gun law went into effective it made these laws null and void. However the City of Hammond still has them on their books. The mayor and city council refused to remove them.

A civil lawsuit was filed by some Hammond residents (more info here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...se/165392-hammond_is_looking_for_trouble.html)

Needless to say the case is moving to appeal but in the meantime the laws on still on the books.

So the OP to show is dislike of what Hammond is doing has choosen to drive to a DIFFERENT cabela's and spend his money OUTSIDE the city of Hammond.

Hammond for those of you not in NWI is "above the LAW" in terms of what they do.

-Jedi

I am able to separate Hammond from Cabela's with the power of my mind and do not wish to punish them just because they are located in an evil City like Hammond.:twocents:

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011

-Jedi

If this is the OP's reasoning, it would sound to me like all the more reason to be going to Hammond and OCing every chance I got, carrying a small bundle of business cards with a link to INGO explaining what the City of Hammond is doing; raising as much awareness as possible about this, as even many here on INGO that aren't necessarily from NWI were unaware until the third page of this thread what was going on. Put the political pressure on the city locally and statewide, not just by cutting out taxes from the city valued in the tens of dollars.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Put the political pressure on the city locally and statewide, not just by cutting out taxes from the city valued in the tens of dollars.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
    You clearly are not from around here (NWI) are you? They machine up here could care less and they have shown the state (via the current lawsuit) that THEY ARE ABOVE THE LAW and will not obey whatever the state says!

-Jedi

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I OC in Hammond ALL the time....

Friday I was at Menards, Home Depot, Burger King, Cabelas, Speedway, and the tire repair shop on the corner of Kennedy and 173rd.

At the tire shop I was asked if I was an off-duty Leo by an older couple who were also in there. After I explained Indiana laws to them the woman suggested to her husband that they should look into it for themselves and their daughter who works in Hammond.

I have never had any problems or issues.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Whats the point of going somewhere else? No one will ever know you went to MI instead of hammond. It will never make a difference. Unless you send the receipt to the hammond store, and say hey you kids missed out on all this money because i don't like your rules. Then it might make more sense.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:
    You clearly are not from around here (NWI) are you? They machine up here could care less and they have shown the state (via the current lawsuit) that THEY ARE ABOVE THE LAW and will not obey whatever the state says!

-Jedi
    That would be state courts at the county level condoning their action; unless of course the city was sued in city court which would be a waste of money. Like I said to those of us in the rest of the state this issue wasn't all that apparent; if nobody knows about it, then nobody pressures them on it, then of course they'll do what they want.

I don't think the city missing out on $20 is really going to have any effect; now passing a law next year withholding tax revenue from cities who hold laws on the books that are in direct conflict with state law, and taking millions away from the city would have a different effect. Extreme example, but if nobody is willing to legitimately stand up to them, then whats to separate Hammond from IL (a state that loses out on hundreds of tax dollars that INGOers don't pay by getting gas in the state on a road trip)?

SmartAsh25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Portage
    uhm Ive never heard of this, my husband and Iarries everytime we go to hammond cabelas and we go there ALOT! we have never had a problem....

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    carry at the Sheppard center in Hammond

Went to the Jean Sheppard Center tonight for a neighborhood crime watch meeting.It is a city park board owned building.Next door in another building on the same property they have a licensed DayCare Center,I asked the police officer in charge of the meeting if it was legal to carry in the Sheppard center dew to the daycare center next door on the same property. He did not know but said he would call me tomorrow and have an answer.He was polite and did not get his shorts in a bind talking about private citizens CARRYING. I will wait for the phone call.

Any one have an opinion?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Went to the Jean Sheppard Center tonight for a neighborhood crime watch meeting.It is a city park board owned building.Next door in another building on the same property they have a licensed DayCare Center,I asked the police officer in charge of the meeting if it was legal to carry in the Sheppard center dew to the daycare center next door on the same property. He did not know but said he would call me tomorrow and have an answer.He was polite and did not get his shorts in a bind talking about private citizens CARRYING. I will wait for the phone call.

Any one have an opinion?

Here is what I have found online.
    The day care center is called Woodland Child Development Center Inc. of Hammond, IN (Contact Woodland Child Development Center Inc. of Hammond, IN) with an address of
    3027 JF Mahoney Drive
    Hammond, IN 46323

The community center is called
    Jean Shepherd Community Center with an address of
    3031 Mahoney Drive, Hammond, IN

We know the JSCC is a city of hammond own building (read: public bldg) that does not have a jail or courthouse in it. So that bldg is OK to carry in.

The day care is NOT ok to care inside the bldg. Now since they both have different addresses the question is where does the property line end for the day care.

For that we need to look at property lines and/or zoning. The zoning of the parcels would be up to the city but alas on the city website I don't see any mans that they have regarding how each piece of land in Hammond is zoned. (Here we have another example this one in Griffith, IN where I was able to find where the property ends: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...self_defense/76519-where_does_school_end.html)

So the next best thing to to look at the Lake County Surveyor's wesbite
    Surveyor
    and the Geographic Information System (GIS).

You are going to LOVE that tool!
    DIRECT LINK HERE: http://lakecountysurveyor.org/proceed.html

Zoom into the area and we find the following:

OWNER INFO
    Park District, City Of Hammond,
    5925 Calumet Ave
    Hammond, IN 46320
    Parcel Number: 45-07-16-276-002.000-023

SITE INFO
    Park District, City Of Hammond,
    ADJ 3004-40 175th St
    Hammond, IN 46323
    Tax Code: 023
    Tax Description: Hammond
    Legal Description (Not for use on legal documents):
    N. 555.33FT. OF S. 820.33FT. OF W. 549.08FT. OF LOT 15 W1/2 OF SE. OF NE. S.16 T.36 R.9 7AC.
    Net Acres: 6.332
    Sec Twp Rng: 16 36 9
    Property Class: Exempt Park District
    Zoning Code: 0
    Use Code: 0
    Deductions: Govt Exempt
    SPAs: None

Meaning it's one big parcel AND BTW it includes the parking lot to the NORTH of those buildings where is actually city parks parking!

Now to be sure lets look at the Lake County Assessor's website here:
    Assessor

to see if the day care pays any property tax or just rents the space from the city. A search for
    • JF Mahoney Drive
    • Mahoney Drive
    • Mahoney
    You will see that NONE of those pop up a record! The only way you can get a record for that street is via the parcel # of 45-07-16-276-002.000-023 which brings up the City of Hammond as the owner (ie. no tax).

So that means that the city owns all the land and I'm betting that it rents the bldg to the child care biz. If this is the case then only the physcial bldg (where the child care is at) is off-limits and a school zone the rest is OK!

This would be similar to where we have post offices inside strip malls that rent a space in the strip mall. The property is NOT owned by the feds so only the location of the post office is "gun free" the rest (parking lot included) would be OK since it's not federal property as they don't own the land.

-Jedi

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Any one have an opinion?

Well did the HPD get back to you???

Top Bottom