Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

WOW! When? :dunno:
    Must be your personality. :D
    We have had many good stories now from Cabela's in which they are OK with OC. At the beginning (when their first opened) it was not like that. It took some complaing to coroprate and some education/training of their management to understand IN law.

-Jedi

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Will you be "killed to death" :D walking in Hammond in broad daylight. Probably not. Does it change if you walk at night in say the shady part of Hammond. Hum.. no you are asking for trouble.

-Jedi

I'll have you know that "killed to death" is a trademark and copyrighted by me :P

:D

I'm not afraid of most parts of Hammond, Gary, EC etc.

Well, during the day anyway.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WOW! When? :dunno:
    Must be your personality. :D
    We have had many good stories now from Cabela's in which they are OK with OC. At the beginning (when their first opened) it was not like that. It took some complaing to coroprate and some education/training of their management to understand IN law.

-Jedi

Two years ago, AFTER corporate's repeated assurances that they were OC-friendly. I don't want to rehash the story here, though. I haven't been back since and they'll never get another dime of my money.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'll have you know that "killed to death" is a trademark and copyrighted by me :P

:D

I'm not afraid of most parts of Hammond, Gary, EC etc.

Well, during the day anyway.

Don't worry we will just "kill you dead" and then the copyright will get transferred to the NWI INGO community. :laugh:

Two years ago, AFTER corporate's repeated assurances that they were OC-friendly. I don't want to rehash the story here, though. I haven't been back since and they'll never get another dime of my money.

Snap! Guess Hammond does not like "YOU people" either. :laugh: I'm actually surprised since you don't fit the mold per say. (ie. you are not of color nor thugish looking). You are in the same mold as melensdad who could probably walk anywhere OC and not even have people take a second look at him. Guess the profiling does not always work.

-Jedi

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Ok, I live near Hammond and I go to that particular Cabela's all the time. In fact, I buy my ammo from there a lot and I conceal carry. I've never had a problem but then again, I conceal carry and if you do it right, no one should notice you are packing unless they are looking for it. So what's the issue here?

Mancosman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    I live in Hammond My friend was the firearms inspector at the door for about a year, he said when you go in they ask if you will be unholstering for any reason (like fitting holsters or w.e.) if you say no then they let you go in no problem. If you will be unholstering they will ask you to remove the ammo.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Cabellas=poorly trained associates doing their best to please their cooporate bosses.
    Results= if you pick up your own products, don't ask questions, run to the checkout, pay for your stuff, and vamoose... you're their kind of customer.
    Bought 1 firearm, had warranty issues, useless to ask them to help after the sale. Had my gunsmith repair what they wouldn't. He did not charge me and took less than ten minutes to deal with. I drove 30 miles x 3 times with humble feelings hoping for a fair resolution, but not with those knuckleheads. Good luck, have fun shopping there.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Me and the family will be venturing to lovely Hammond, Riverside Park to be exact, for some baseball later next week. I pulled this off the Hammond city ordinances website...

ui-bookmark.gif
    § 99.28 POSSESSING OR DISCHARGING FIREARMS OR FIREWORKS.

(A) No person shall bring into or have in his or her possession in any park or park street any firearms, slingshots, firecrackers, torpedoes, fireworks or other missile-propelling instruments or explosives, including any substance, compound, mixture or article having properties of a character that, alone or in combination or contiguity with other substances, mixtures, compounds or articles, may propel missiles or may decompose suddenly and generate sufficient heat, sound, gas or pressure or any or all of these to produce rapid flames, combustion or noxious or dangerous odors or sounds that may annoy any other person or injure any person or property.

And the penalty for such a heinous infraction...

ui-bookmark.gif
    § 10.99 GENERAL PENALTY.

(A) Whenever in this code or in any ordinance of the city, or in any rule or regulation promulgated by an officer or agency thereof, under authority invested by law or ordinance, any act is prohibited or is made or declared to be unlawful or an offense or the doing of an act is required, or the failure to do any act is declared to be unlawful, where no specific penalty is provided therefor, the violation of such a provision of this code, ordinance, rule or regulation shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $2,500. Every day any violation of this code or any ordinance, rule or regulation shall continue shall constitute a separate offense.
    (B) In cases where a previous conviction exists under division (A) of this section, the violation of this second (or subsequent) provision of code, ordinance, rule or regulation shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $7,500. Continuing violations shall constitute a separate offense.

This park is public property so if I understand correctly, ordinance 99.28 means nothing, nada, zilch, to me as a LTCH holder due to the passing of good ole SB292. I will be CCing so I don't expect any trouble, just wanna be sure.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I live 5 minutes from the Hammond Cabelas and I always carry there. I have seen no signage there prohibiting the carry of firearms. There is the sign for checking guns at the front when you come in, but I think it also mentions an exception for LTCH holders. I can't remember the exact words, but I've never had any issues there. There is no across the board ban for carrying in Hammond that I'm aware of, although they may still be trying to ban carrying in City of Hammond buildings and parks. I don't think Hammond's restrictions apply to Cabela's.

I will also mention that the only person other than myself who I have seen OC was in Hammond, at the corner of Chicago Avenue and Hohman.

If I get off work early enough, I will make a trip to Cabela's tonight and ask what the official store policy is regarding CC and OC.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I took a ride over to the Hammond Cabela's after dinner this evening to get the scoop straight from the proverbial horse's mouth. I OC'd into the store. I read the sign inside the doors directing folks to check their guns and I did not see the exception for licensed permit holders that I remember seeing before, but if I were to look a little closer it's probably there somewhere on another sign. As I was looking for that stupid sign, I was greeted by a lady who is always standing there with Cabela's Club Visa applications. I told her a have one of those already. She said nothing about the sidearm.

Then I walked over to the gun check table, there were two employees standing there talking. I asked them what the official store policy is on Open Carry. They said as long as you're not planning to unholster your weapon while doing business in the store, OC is fine with them. No different than CC for that matter. That was it.

So there's the story, carrying is fine at Hammond Cabela's, whether OC or CC, it's your preference. If you really want to drive all the way to Michigan, have a nice ride. But there's no reason to blame it on Hammond Cabela's policy.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Me and the family will be venturing to lovely Hammond, Riverside Park to be exact, for some baseball later next week. I pulled this off the Hammond city ordinances website...

ui-bookmark.gif
    § 99.28 POSSESSING OR DISCHARGING FIREARMS OR FIREWORKS.

(A) No person shall bring into or have in his or her possession in any park or park street any firearms, slingshots, firecrackers, torpedoes, fireworks or other missile-propelling instruments or explosives, including any substance, compound, mixture or article having properties of a character that, alone or in combination or contiguity with other substances, mixtures, compounds or articles, may propel missiles or may decompose suddenly and generate sufficient heat, sound, gas or pressure or any or all of these to produce rapid flames, combustion or noxious or dangerous odors or sounds that may annoy any other person or injure any person or property.

And the penalty for such a heinous infraction...

ui-bookmark.gif
    § 10.99 GENERAL PENALTY.

(A) Whenever in this code or in any ordinance of the city, or in any rule or regulation promulgated by an officer or agency thereof, under authority invested by law or ordinance, any act is prohibited or is made or declared to be unlawful or an offense or the doing of an act is required, or the failure to do any act is declared to be unlawful, where no specific penalty is provided therefor, the violation of such a provision of this code, ordinance, rule or regulation shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $2,500. Every day any violation of this code or any ordinance, rule or regulation shall continue shall constitute a separate offense.
    (B) In cases where a previous conviction exists under division (A) of this section, the violation of this second (or subsequent) provision of code, ordinance, rule or regulation shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $7,500. Continuing violations shall constitute a separate offense.

This park is public property so if I understand correctly, ordinance 99.28 means nothing, nada, zilch, to me as a LTCH holder due to the passing of good ole SB292. I will be CCing so I don't expect any trouble, just wanna be sure.

Yes and No.
    Technically you can still get arrested for violation of the ordinance since it's an active ordiance on the books for the City of Hammond.

HOWEVER the Mayor of Hammond issued an order to the police NOT to arrest anyone who is violating this order.

Now you are correct that the new IN law makes this ordiance invalid. However an INGO member took this issue to court and LOST in court! The issue is now going to be appealed but for now the Judge sided with the city in saying that becuase their is a disclaimer on the website of saying all the ordianace may or may not be valid the city is safe. :rolleyes:

You can read more about it and the on going legal trial pending here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...se/165392-hammond_is_looking_for_trouble.html

jeepfreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    (A) No person shall bring into or have in his or her possession in any park or park street any firearms, slingshots, firecrackers, torpedoes......

Damn. I always like to carry my torpedoes in Hammond.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yes and No.
    Technically you can still get arrested for violation of the ordinance since it's an active ordiance on the books for the City of Hammond.

HOWEVER the Mayor of Hammond issued an order to the police NOT to arrest anyone who is violating this order.

Now you are correct that the new IN law makes this ordiance invalid. However an INGO member took this issue to court and LOST in court! The issue is now going to be appealed but for now the Judge sided with the city in saying that becuase their is a disclaimer on the website of saying all the ordianace may or may not be valid the city is safe. :rolleyes:

You can read more about it and the on going legal trial pending here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...se/165392-hammond_is_looking_for_trouble.html
    I bet you would win if they actually arrested you.

Top Bottom