• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruizer13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Why would just Hammond keep an illegal law like this? Is it dangerous up there or what? I've been to Cabela's, but never felt like I was in a bad neighborhood.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Why would just Hammond keep an illegal law like this? Is it dangerous up there or what? I've been to Cabela's, but never felt like I was in a bad neighborhood.

Illegal ordinance you mean. ;) Only the State or Federal governments can create "laws" me thinks.

In any case back to the topic.
    Hammond can continue to keep the "law/ordinance" on it's books becuase
    1) a judge said the disclaimer on the website say's not all ordianance are valid anymore. :n00b:
    2) Corruption in LAKE county is the way of live and they don't listen to whatever the STATE has to say

Is Hammond dangerious. Depends on who you ask, what color your skin is, if you are a native to the region or not. Like any other place Hammond has it's bad parts of town and it's good.

Will you be "killed to death" :D walking in Hammond in broad daylight. Probably not. Does it change if you walk at night in say the shady part of Hammond. Hum.. no you are asking for trouble.

-Jedi

Bruizer13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Gottcha, I guess it makes sense. I am one that just feels that its hard to keep up with all the "ordinances". We have fed, state, local, etc. If I am not from that area how am I suppose to know? I guess I am just happy they do not enforce. I thank you for the clerification!

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    There is a sign in the gun department at the Hammond Cabela's that states any firearm that is brought in to sell to them or be repaired has to be checked at the door to make sure it is not loaded. Personnel from the gun department then comes downstairs and brings the firearm up. The sign states that this does not apply to a CCW weapon, they do not need to be checked.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Went to the Jean Sheppard Center tonight for a neighborhood crime watch meeting.It is a city park board owned building.Next door in another building on the same property they have a licensed DayCare Center,I asked the police officer in charge of the meeting if it was legal to carry in the Sheppard center dew to the daycare center next door on the same property. He did not know but said he would call me tomorrow and have an answer.He was polite and did not get his shorts in a bind talking about private citizens CARRYING. I will wait for the phone call.

Any one have an opinion?

Any news on this??? Did Hammond call you back?

jeepfreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    On a completely unrelated side note, the ropes that were there at the gun counter were gone when I went in the other day. I thought those were ridiculous anyways.

Hammond on the south side isn't anywhere near as bad as northern parts of Hammond. Stay away from the north side and the downtown area. Not very nice.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    On a completely unrelated side note, the ropes that were there at the gun counter were gone when I went in the other day. I thought those were ridiculous anyways.

:welcome: 2 :ingo:
    As we have discussed before here on :ingo: many times. The cabela's ropes have come and gone, come back, gone again, come back yet again and have left yet again. Cabela's (managment) has yet to find a way that help crowd control and at the same time not make it seem so "hostile" to the browsers. They have tried other systems as well (deli style tickets, just form a line, etc.) It's a give and take system from their point of view and they have yet to find a system that works for them all the time. It appears that the rope system works for them during busy season (ie. xmass, spring sales, etc..)

-Jedi

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Yes the officer called ,but said he could not get the city attorney on the phone . He stated that it is O.K. to carry at the center . I will find out when I carry at the next crime watch meeting their. He did make mention of the court ruling on the Hammond Ordnance.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    By keeping the law on the books, they won't have to re-introduce it to be voted on by the city council if the state pre-emption law is ever invalidated. All they have to do is to start enforcing it again. If they have to re-introduce it, there's a chance it could be defeated. You really think it's about whatever they post on their website?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    By keeping the law on the books, they won't have to re-introduce it to be voted on by the city council if the state pre-emption law is ever invalidated. All they have to do is to start enforcing it again. If they have to re-introduce it, there's a chance it could be defeated. You really think it's about whatever they post on their website?

99.99% highly doubt an ANTI-GUN ordnance would ever be defeated if introudced in Hammond so long as the current Hammond mayor or his sucessor are in office.

The city council is more just for show & tell, it's the current mayor that gets whatever he wants legal or illegal (as in this case) end of story. If you don't have his blessing you are not going to get re-elected in Hammond.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Yes the officer called ,but said he could not get the city attorney on the phone . He stated that it is O.K. to carry at the center . I will find out when I carry at the next crime watch meeting their. He did make mention of the court ruling on the Hammond Ordnance.

Thanks for the update.
    -Jedi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I've always OC'd at Hammond Cabela's without incident or even a look from anyone, so I am not exactly sure of the point the OC is trying to make. While their prices are high and sometimes I can find a bargain, I am usually not buying from the gun section of the store. I have actually found the Gander Mountain at the mall in Hobart to price match anyone on firearms or ammo, provided that it is not some online merchandiser. They have even matched Blythe's or had a better price than Blythe's. You just need to ask and tell them them where or show an ad.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I agree. The only way to make a Glock safe is to disassemble it and hide the individual pieces from itself. It's a public safety issue.

Even that won't work since what does the ATF call it, implied intent or something like that. Best to take all those GLOCKS :puke: and melt them!

Top Bottom