• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    This IS a COURT building and it is highly illegal to be carrying in same.

Uhhh, no, it's not. It is up to the court to make carrying not permissible. The IC says:

IC 35-47-11.1-4
    Exceptions
    Sec. 4. This chapter may not be construed to prevent any of the following:

...(5) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting or restricting the possession of a firearm in any building that contains the courtroom of a circuit, superior, city, town, or small claims court. However, if a portion of the building is occupied by a residential tenant or private business, any provision restricting or prohibiting the possession of a firearm does not apply to the portion of the building that is occupied by the residential tenant or private business, or to common areas of the building used by a residential tenant or private business.

There is no actual IC that restricts carry in a courthouse, and as specified above, it's a prohibition or restriction, not a law. This is confirmed by a handful of courthouses in IN that allow carry by law abiding citizens.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Uhhh, no, it's not. It is up to the court to make carrying not permissible. The IC says:

There is no actual IC that restricts carry in a courthouse, and as specified above, it's a prohibition or restriction, not a law. This is confirmed by a handful of courthouses in IN that allow carry by law abiding citizens.

Correct HammerHead on the "technicality" of the text. However the Lake County Courthouse does have "house rules" that the courthouse is a gun-free zone. So you would be breaking the "house rules" and thus be in contempt of court which is far worse then breaking a law since the Judge can toss you in jail for contempt and just let you rot their forever!

Point being made DO NOT BRING YOUR GUN TO THIS COURT HOUSE OR IT'S PROPERTY!

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Perhaps, however the statement that it is "highly illegal" is incorrect. Contempt of court is not something I want to run up against. And the courts are free to prohibit or restrict the carry of a firearm. However it's not illegal to carry in a courthouse.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between "highly" illegal and just regular illegal? It's like saying "a little pregnant".

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    However it's not illegal to carry in a courthouse.

Agree but I think you are reading too much into his text. IN_Sheepdog just wanted to make sure that anyone that goes realizes YOU CAN NOT BRING YOUR WEAPON TO THIS COURTHOUSE.

In my mind we are now debating "permit" vs "license" in terms of "illegal" in this content.

The point again is YOU CAN NOT BRING YOUR WEAPON TO THIS COURTHOUSE.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Okay, let's just say for the sake of argument that I do want to bring my weapon to this court house. Is it Highly illegal or just illegal? (remember, this is just for the sake of argument)..

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I agree that you cannot bring your firearm into that specific courthouse. I wouldn't recommend doing so. However, this is not the case at every courthouse, and not the case in the IC.

Saying that it's illegal (HIGHLY illegal, even :D) is providing misinformation.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Actually, because the county jail is on the same site, connected by a hallway, an arguement could be made for the "trafficking with a prisoner" statute to be in effect.
    either way, you'd be taking a walk in handcuffs.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    Okay, let's just say for the sake of argument that I do want to bring my weapon to this court house. Is it Highly illegal or just illegal? (remember, this is just for the sake of argument)..

Ya know... and I Always thought it was the lawyers that tried to split the hairs and define "what the meaning of "IS, is...
    To have a pointless discussion of highly legal vs illegal and picking apart a post that was intended to be informative, and helpful, not opening up for a bunch of crap...

Hammerhead, you may be technically correct as to a state statute existing or not existing, but I will tell you as an officer of the court, if you bring it to the Lake County Complex, as they lead you off in cuffs, that you would then be the best judge of "the degree" of illegality!

My guess is that you wont be there, so why even make it an issue...
    Misinformation my a**... so what court houses in the State DO allow you to walk into the COURTROOM armed? I would really like to know where these are located, because I havent seen any.

Take my original post for what its worth, and how it was intended. Someone asked if it was open to the public and what was involved. I was answering the inquiry...

:horse: is right...

Rediculous...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Neither one since the JBT will pull a gun on you, drop you to the ground and make you eat pavement as they pump you full of lead before you can even pull out your piece. :D

I agree that you cannot bring your firearm into that specific courthouse. I wouldn't recommend doing so. However, this is not the case at every courthouse, and not the case in the IC.

Saying that it's illegal (HIGHLY illegal, even :D) is providing misinformation.

How so? This is the definition of Illegal per dictionary.com
    il·le·gal

   [ih-lee-guhl] Show IPA
    adjective 1. forbidden by law or statute.

2. contrary to or forbidden by official rules, regulations, etc.: The referee ruled that it was an illegal forward pass.

---
    Look at #2. "Official rules" are the court house rules at this courthouse. Yes 99% of the time we associated "illegal" with some law/statue per def. #1. But there another def to that word.

Splitting hairs 10 ways now. :rockwoot:

-Jedi

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I didnt say, "you people"... and yes I can be one of the YOU PEOPLE too...

You can't be "you people" you are an ATTY and I have yet to see a Gettho Atty. :D

BTW I think there is a few southern IN court house that do allow firearms. I think Guy is the one or maybe Kirk was the 1 that told us. Can't recall.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Ya know... and I Always thought it was the lawyers that tried to split the hairs and define "what the meaning of "IS, is...
    To have a pointless discussion of highly legal vs illegal and picking apart a post that was intended to be informative, and helpful, not opening up for a bunch of crap...

Hammerhead, you may be technically correct as to a state statute existing or not existing, but I will tell you as an officer of the court, if you bring it to the Lake County Complex, as they lead you off in cuffs, that you would then be the best judge of "the degree" of illegality!

My guess is that you wont be there, so why even make it an issue...
    Misinformation my a**... so what court houses in the State DO allow you to walk into the COURTROOM armed? I would really like to know where these are located, because I havent seen any.

Take my original post for what its worth, and how it was intended. Someone asked if it was open to the public and what was involved. I was answering the inquiry...

:horse: is right...

Rediculous...
    you a court cop? do you have lockers to secure firearms in?

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    Heck no me no wanna be no redneck! Me gangster! ;)

"Gansta" is NOT appropriate courtroom attire either:
    6455.jpg

Top Bottom