• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Genuine apologies everyone, this is pure ignorance because I am brand new to being a gun owner... I obviously know how critical hearing protection is, but does a single shot in self defense really make you have trouble for the rest of your life?

As stupid as it sounds, I almost wonder if I should look for child size hearing protection to put on my dog if *god forbid* I ever needed to use it in my house :(
    Dude, no need for apologies.

When I was in the Corps (That's pronounced CORE, not corpse, as our fearless leader would say it :cool: ) I was in combat artillery, we fired 155mm towed Howitzers, where we stood behind it & pulled the cord, and rarely used ear protection. I have deer hunted for years, and never used ear protection, shooting 12 ga., 44mag, 264mag rifle, & I can still hear.

Can't remember the # of times I shot outdoors with pistols & didn't have ear pro. Not recommending it, just stating the facts.

As far as planning (but hoping not to) use it in your house, hearing protection is the last thing you need to worry about. Your first concern is you & your families safety. Make sure your target really IS a Bad Guy, & if you can't see the BG, shout out "ONE STEP FARTHER IN MY HOUSE & I WILL SHOOT YOU!" If it's only you and your partner (or dog) in your bedroom, & you hear someone trying to break into your bedroom, it might not be the best idea to throw open the door & confront. First, do what I tell my wife to do if I'm not there; yell "I HAVE A GUN & I WILL KILL YOU IF YOU COME IN!" Whether you have one or not, that will deter all but Al Qaida. I always keep a good light next to my home defense weapon for night time. I have kids in the house, so I will confront inside my house much quicker than if I didn't.

Remember, the #1 thing is not to be a Rambo cowboy, it's to survive & protect your family.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Some seem to remember that your flight or fight brain will block the extreme noise and protect your hearing long enough to get the job done. Save your life and worry about your hearing latter.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Some seem to remember that your flight or fight brain will block the extreme noise and protect your hearing long enough to get the job done. Save your life and worry about your hearing latter.

It will not protect you from physical damage but will keep your from "hearing" the noise as to not affect you at that moment.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Okay, I'll ask it...

What would have happened if he had fired? Particularly to the LEO, would he have been justified?

Just to be clear though, it's great that he did not have to fire!

Hard to say, that would be for a court to decide. You can bet that if they guys were unarmed, and were shot while still in the confines of their vehicle, the media would paint the OP in a very negative light.

I personally, if I responded to that call, would look do the obvious thing and ask "why" would the OP, just shoot 4 guys (w/his family in tow) just for the "heck" of it vs how often do I see groups of guys doing stupid things (plenty).
    I'd file the report, and let the pros figure out what they wanted to do.

Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    Thank you all! It's just my dog and I, so I will practice all the suggestions you guys gave...and hope to god I never have to actually use them. I probably misread the person's post about hearing loss due to shooting in the car. It sounds like in self defense you'd be ok...but obviously don't want to be blowing off rounds in your car on a weekly basis to maintain long term hearing :)

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    Thank you all! It's just my dog and I, so I will practice all the suggestions you guys gave...and hope to god I never have to actually use them. I probably misread the person's post about hearing loss due to shooting in the car. It sounds like in self defense you'd be ok...but obviously don't want to be blowing off rounds in your car on a weekly basis to maintain long term hearing :)

Yeah that was my comment, and I can tell you that one shot fired in a confined space can cause your ear(s) to ring for the rest of your life. Everyone is different, every situation is different. Still, losing a little hearing is better than losing your life. I think it just happens to be one more reason to count it a blessing he didn't have to shoot.

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    I don't think you read the OP verry well.

1) His window was down and the suspect was at his 9 oclock position so the wepon was probably outside the vehicle as he turnd back.

2) No one in the vehicle (if there were any) were in danger of him shooting them (See above).

3) Only another hypothesis. There could be many.

Oops *redface* For some reason I pictured 3 oclock when I read 9 oclock, my mistake. That makes considerably more sense.

R3ydium

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I know a hand full of the deputies on the Hanilton County Sheriff's office (department) and I would personally vouche for a great number of them. I'm glad you had a good experience.

jdewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    The perpetual bad reputation that LEOs have seems to be a direct reflect on what kind of news the mass media report. All you hear on the news media is about negative events. I'm glad that you had a good experience and choose to share it.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Yes they were lucky and I'm glad it all worked out. The one thing that stood out to me is that car jacking in standstill, bumper to bumper traffic is usually not the best place for such a crime to go down. Too many witnesses and no easy route of escape.

Of course, criminals are dumb and getting dumber.

Top Bottom