• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I ran across a guy that has an ak underfolder. He has these 60 year old steel magazines they looked a bit rusty. He said his ak jams after he does around 7 magazine dumps and it gets hot. I pulled up Wolff gun spring site showed him that he can buy brand new springs for his old steel magazines. He thought $8.99 for new springs was to high. So he buys some cheap possibly Promag ak47 mags. He then tells me the cheap magazines he bought fall out every shot hit the ground and pop several rounds out of the magazine. I again show him Wolff springs. He then says I should have ordered them instead.

I told him to go home take apart all his old steel magazines clean them. He did got back to me said the insides were rusty so were the springs. I then told him to only load 20 rds each do his mag dumps. He did said that worked fine and he loaded 30rds again and had failures. I told him his 60+ rusted out magazine springs need replaced with quality Wolff springs. So he bought 3 pack. Installed them and it ran like a sewing machine.

This was over 8 months of going back and forth with this guy. If he had listened to me in the 1st place he would have saved money in the long run.

After all this he still wants to buy cheap mags, and other things. Do you all run into people this stubborn? He isn't exactly a friend but more of an acquaintance i meet at the gun range.

Another thing why does he have to do mag dumps? You can't hit crap anyway.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Most of the girls just like to complain about their problems. They don't want you to actually solve them...

WHY CAN'T YOU BE MORE SUPPORTIVE

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Almost forgot my favorite part. He ask me if the AK was faulty because it got really hot when he mag dumped 7 mags. He said the barrel, and hand guard was to hot to touch. I looked at him in disbelief. I think this is his 1st semiautomatic rifle. He says he was in the Army as Military Police. I'd think anyone that went through basic training knows a rifle gets hot when firing a lot of rds. I'm guessing his age around 30 years old.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    After all this he still wants to buy cheap mags, and other things. Do you all run into people this stubborn? He isn't exactly a friend but more of an acquaintance i meet at the gun range.

1. He believes the gun is a magic talisman, not a machine. He believe the presence of the gun is enough as it radiates protective magic.

2. This is the gun culture, people think that noise and flash is the killing mechanism. How many times have you heard or read "and everyone was looking at me" at the range? This is why we have stupid guns like short barreled Mosin Nagants or ported .41 Magnums and why people do "mag dumps", a you tube trademark.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    This could be one of my favorite threads. I'm 34, and maybe 10 or so years ago I realized I was basically an idiot and didn't know what I didn't know. This guy sounds like he's still a few years from his idiot epiphany.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    How is the guy that is too cheap to spend $9 on springs able to afford to do 7 mag dumps in the first place?

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    How is the guy that is too cheap to spend $9 on springs able to afford to do 7 mag dumps in the first place?

Excellent point! :):

I was told by a gunsmith (who is also an AK aficionado) that a lot of steel mags have to be filed to function properly in a particular AK. Granted, I don’t own a true AK at this point, but this is why I now just go with PMAGs for 7.62x39mm and don’t mess with the milsurp stuff.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I ran across a guy that has an ak underfolder. He has these 60 year old steel magazines they looked a bit rusty. He said his ak jams after he does around 7 magazine dumps and it gets hot. I pulled up Wolff gun spring site showed him that he can buy brand new springs for his old steel magazines. He thought $8.99 for new springs was to high. So he buys some cheap possibly Promag ak47 mags. He then tells me the cheap magazines he bought fall out every shot hit the ground and pop several rounds out of the magazine. I again show him Wolff springs. He then says I should have ordered them instead.

You're a patient soul, I would have kicked him to the curb long before you did.

I told him to go home take apart all his old steel magazines clean them. He did got back to me said the insides were rusty so were the springs. I then told him to only load 20 rds each do his mag dumps. He did said that worked fine and he loaded 30rds again and had failures. I told him his 60+ rusted out magazine springs need replaced with quality Wolff springs. So he bought 3 pack. Installed them and it ran like a sewing machine.

This was over 8 months of going back and forth with this guy. If he had listened to me in the 1st place he would have saved money in the long run.

You are a patient soul, I would have kicked him to the curb long before you did.

NDPRCfu.jpg

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I'll gladly trade whatever fancy new PMAG, Tapco, ProMag, etc. plastic mags dude wants for his crusty old steel surplus.

And Jeremy, I've never had to fit/file/otherwise alter a single combloc steel mag for any milled or stamped import AK variant - that includes surplus mags from Russia, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Poland, East Germany, Egypt, Yugoslavia, China, and Finland. I have also never had an issue running any of these nation of origin mags in any reliable AK from any other nation of origin. In the other current AK thread I mentioned some users of the more recent commercial steel Croatian "maple leaf" mags have needed a bit of tab filing to get them to work in their guns (though I've never had to do this either), but one of the many nice things about most factory import AKs is the relatively loose tolerances allowing for interchangeability with parts from other nations - mags especially included.

Now from time to time folks do run into a gun with a somewhat loose or sloppy magwell (side to side mag wobble is fine; front to back wobble can lead to feeding/extracting issues). That was especially true on earlier Romanian WASR variants, but every case was nearly certainly the fault of some idiot worker here in the U.S. hogging out a single-stack magwell during conversion/922r work. That's where WASRs gained a somewhat earned but vastly overblown reputation for being junk; where the whole "drunken monkeys at Century" memes came from; and it's where a lot of stereotypes and condescension of AKs from non-familiar American shooters came from.

century20monkey1.jpg

But again, OP - let me know if your buddy wants to get rid of those lousy, jam-o-matic steelies! :D

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Almost forgot my favorite part. He ask me if the AK was faulty because it got really hot when he mag dumped 7 mags. He said the barrel, and hand guard was to hot to touch. I looked at him in disbelief. I think this is his 1st semiautomatic rifle. He says he was in the Army as Military Police. I'd think anyone that went through basic training knows a rifle gets hot when firing a lot of rds. I'm guessing his age around 30 years old.

Just because he was in the military it doesn't make him an expert. Unless it has changed a lot since I was in, firearms training for anybody other than infantry is minimal at best, and being a MP unless he deployed to the sandbox his was mostly with a pistol.

Devilpig

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2018
    Northeast Indy
    He says he was in the Army as Military Police. I'd think anyone that went through basic training knows a rifle gets hot when firing a lot of rds. I'm guessing his age around 30 years old.

To be honest, the military only kinda teaches you how to use and clean the weapons, especially in boot camp. And by use I mean in some of the most basic sense of the word. Military background has no bearing on firearms knowledge in most cases. Source: wuz grunt in Muhreens. I had to go out of my way to learn most of what I know.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a friend with the same mindset about spending money. He is a superior mechanic and a machinist but will trip over a $5 bill at every turn. Drives me nuts.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

OK.....this guy is a lost ball.....you can not fix stupid. Sometimes you can adjust it but never fix it in total.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    1. He believes the gun is a magic talisman, not a machine. He believe the presence of the gun is enough as it radiates protective magic.

2. This is the gun culture, people think that noise and flash is the killing mechanism. How many times have you heard or read "and everyone was looking at me" at the range? This is why we have stupid guns like short barreled Mosin Nagants or ported .41 Magnums and why people do "mag dumps", a you tube trademark.

ever see "Grumpe's M38...i tried. I really tried,but it is what she wanted. She did shoot it well.
    And yes the scope cost 3 times the rifle.
    rimg.php

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

You ask very good question. Maybe the ammo was free or is as old as the magazines so he has no concept of ammo cost

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom