• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    When I see him again I'm going to ask the purpose for mag dumps and 7 at that. I would like to know what his thinking is on that. I'll let you all know if it's actually got some kind of meaning.
    This could be very entertaining/comical.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just because he was in the military it doesn't make him an expert. Unless it has changed a lot since I was in, firearms training for anybody other than infantry is minimal at best, and being a MP unless he deployed to the sandbox his was mostly with a pistol.

Yeah. Like Andre Carson hiding behind his years as a "LEO". DUUUUUUDEEEE! You were an excise cop! You ran around busting kids drinking booze. Get over yourself.
    He reminds me of a guy I used to know. Professional mall cop. I actually heard him utter the phrase "Yeah, I work in law enforcement." Oh brother.

Edit: And dont forget that congresscritter who used his vietnam (era) veteran status heavily. He was like a supply clerk or something and never left the CONUS yet he blathers on as if he spent the entire war next to John Rambo slogging through the jungles.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    When I see him again I'm going to ask the purpose for mag dumps and 7 at that. I would like to know what his thinking is on that. I'll let you all know if it's actually got some kind of meaning.
    This could be very entertaining/comical.

It's fun, but somewhere around $20 would probably be my limit these days and that would happen way before 7 mags. Current low price on ammoseek indicates he's dumping about $65 to do that, assuming 30s.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    It's fun, but somewhere around $20 would probably be my limit these days and that would happen way before 7 mags. Current low price on ammoseek indicates he's dumping about $65 to do that, assuming 30s.

That's one reason I've never been interested in getting anything full-auto. I've fired a few different full-auto things, and even at the time (late 80s or early 90s) when ammo was cheap, I remember that every time I pulled the trigger, my mind kept saying "there's $20!"

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    That's one reason I've never been interested in getting anything full-auto. I've fired a few different full-auto things, and even at the time (late 80s or early 90s) when ammo was cheap, I remember that every time I pulled the trigger, my mind kept saying "there's $20!"

There's a few I'd get just for fun if I could, but I won't get any NFA items because I'm not going to volunteer to put myself on a gun registry.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    There's a few I'd get just for fun if I could, but I won't get any NFA items because I'm not going to volunteer to put myself on a gun registry.

That's precisely the other reason I didn't. It was a friend's, and he was going to let me have it for a really good price, but I just decided against it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    ever see "Grumpe's M38...i tried. I really tried,but it is what she wanted. She did shoot it well.
    And yes the scope cost 3 times the rifle.
    rimg.php

The mystery of the gun culture's addiction to unburned gun powder being expelled from metal tubes.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I ran across a guy that has an ak underfolder. He has these 60 year old steel magazines they looked a bit rusty. He said his ak jams after he does around 7 magazine dumps and it gets hot. I pulled up Wolff gun spring site showed him that he can buy brand new springs for his old steel magazines. He thought $8.99 for new springs was to high

Well he is not wrong. Great to decent AK mags can often be found for $10-15 dollars. Why put 80-90% of the value back in rusty mags?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Well he is not wrong. Great to decent AK mags can often be found for $10-15 dollars. Why put 80-90% of the value back in rusty mags?

So you are a promag fan hmm. Good luck with that. Also steel magazines cleaned up and a new spring is better than any poly magazine. It isn't hard to clean up a steel magazine + if they fit your rifle like a glove why buy cheap mags to replace them when they will last several lifetimes just by replacing the spring once in awhile. His $10 mags dropped to the ground every shot.

This is the only poly magazine I'd by for my AK47
    https://www.primaryarms.com/magpul-ak-pmag-30-m3-7.62x39-magazine-black

Last edited:

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    So you are a promag fan hmm. Good luck with that. Also steel magazines cleaned up and a new spring is better than any poly magazine. It isn't hard to clean up a steel magazine + if they fit your rifle like a glove why buy cheap mags to replace them when they will last several lifetimes just by replacing the spring once in awhile. His $10 mags dropped to the ground every shot.

If his $10 mags dropped to the ground with every shot, somebody likely filed on the mag release or something.

I bought a Saiga with a dozen or so tapco and promags with it, not a single one doesn’t function just fine in ANY AK I put them in, and a few of them got turned into short magazines for bench shooting and hunting, definitely not my go to, nor would I spend money on them, but yeesh, if the magazine fell out, something is wrong with the gun

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

I find myself interestingly positioned in your argument as the only plastic AK rifle mags I own are all pmags (PSA has them for half that price, btw).

My steel mags are all new production South Korean or surplus Yugos. My SK steel mags aren't anywhere near as nice as my Yugos, but both weigh dramatically more than the pmags, are dramatically heavier (especially the Yugo mags), and a lot louder in the gun from the metal-on-metal rattling. The followers in all of the SK mags required hand work to get them smooth and the springs in all of the Yugos all arrived at about 1/3 power so they needed replaced right out of the box. It also takes an exorbitant amount of effort to de-cosmo surplus AK mags, IMO.

So... Of the 3 types of box mags I've bought the most of (probably have a few others of unknown to me origin), the only ones that are actually good right out of the packaging are the pmags and the pmags are basically 1/2 the price in the end and none of the work.

I don't think I'd want to go all one way or the other, and I clearly have not, but there are pros and cons to both sides.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    He has 4 Russian made Tula stamped 30rd steel magazines. I say clean them up put new springs in them. He also has milled receiver and it's a Russian parts kit it was built from. Just reblue the magazines new springs. Those Russian steel magazines are rare. He did buy a 3 pack of them Wolff springs it did make the difference it runs perfect with those mags.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    So if I understand correctly, after heat treating his rifle (mag dump) and using after market mags, he has problems.

Funny, being an AK-nut as well as a fan of the Beretta 92 which is considered the AK of handguns, I have found that with factory mags (mil-surp for the AK) I have had virtually no problems. The couple of "after market" mags I have bought wound up in the trash as being unreliable.

I was given, yes given a bag full of AK mags that had internal rust preventing the follower from moving smoothly. A little TLC with rust remover and a dremel and I turned them into full function mags with the feed reliability one would expect from an AK.

The Beretta 92 series is pretty much the same, use a factory mag and have no problems or an after market mag and risk problems.

Not afraid to spend a couple of dollars more, or put some time in, to have fully functional personal protection devices.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    So if I understand correctly, after heat treating his rifle (mag dump) and using after market mags, he has problems.

Funny, being an AK-nut as well as a fan of the Beretta 92 which is considered the AK of handguns, I have found that with factory mags (mil-surp for the AK) I have had virtually no problems. The couple of "after market" mags I have bought wound up in the trash as being unreliable.

I was given, yes given a bag full of AK mags that had internal rust preventing the follower from moving smoothly. A little TLC with rust remover and a dremel and I turned them into full function mags with the feed reliability one would expect from an AK.

There's a reason combloc steel mags are still used ~70 years later - they work. Period. I'm still rocking a literal circa-1950(ish) Izhmash slabside that doubles as a hammer and it's never let me down.

PMAGs are fine for range use, which is pretty much all any of us here do, but I'd gladly trade three or four of them for a single ((10)) mag any day of the week. Yes, Bulgarian surplus is more cost prohibitive, but I've yet to have a military Circle 10 fail me either. Can't say the same for PMAGs, ProMags, or most of the other commercial-grade options.

Rust and pitting aren't necessarily deal breakers for steel mags, as long as lugs and other areas that lock into the gun aren't swollen or destroyed. Heavily rusted mags can be treated with a plastic bin and a Coke/Pepsi/generic cola bath, followed by a coat of appliance paint. Cosmoline is super simple to remove. Heat is your friend (so is kerosene, but some folks don't like messing with the stuff) - simply bake the mags in your oven, hit them with a hair dryer or heat gun, or simply wrap them up in towels and put them on your dashboard during a sunny day.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The cheaper pmag for the AK isn't to good. You have to get the M3 magazine it has the steel locking lug. Makes a world of difference. They run around $27 each.

I'm with you on the steel mags. You don't have to worry about the feed lips breaking off chipping etc. The Russian bakelite mags were polymer but had steel liner and locking lug like the magpul m3 mags have now.

Last edited:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    The cheaper pmag for the AK isn't to good. You have to get the M3 magazine it has the steel locking lug. Makes a world of difference. They run around $27 each.

I'm with you on the steel mags. You don't have to worry about the feed lips breaking off chipping etc. The Russian bakelite mags were polymer but had steel liner and locking lug like the magpul m3 mags have now.

I use steel mags. The only polymer mags I use are (10). They are the gold standard. I had a couple newer Pmags and wouldn't use them any farther than the range. To have them function properly I have to down load them a round or 2. :rolleyes: No other AK mags I have to do that.

EDITED: Oh, and bakes. Forgot the bakes. :n00b:

Last edited:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

:facepalm:

I ordered the wrong ones... Part numbers are only 1 digit off and I didn't notice.

Looks like I need to get some M3s...

Top Bottom