• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Only in Lake Co.- GARY police are INVESTIGATING an altercation in a elementary school between two parents, 1 had a firearm a teacher who reported the event to the police said he feared for his life .GARY POLICE are investigating to see what charges apply . Read in The TIMES 4/26/10
    My take on this is more than likely the perp. is probably connected to come politician .

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    no one should have guns around kids

when I was in the 5th grade we had a substitute teacher on a regular basis , he was also a city police officer , he kept his brief case on his desk open , with a stainless revolver right on top.
    In high school we kept shotguns in our cars during squirrel season so we could go hunting after school , we gave classes on how to clean a weapon for speech class , we never had a school shooting , never had an accidental discharge in the school either.
    Sure times were different , but the lesson has not changed.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

I'm not one who would normally say something like this, but...

troll2-1.gif

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    Talk about not having a clue ddwood04 tops the list! here at Johnson County 4H Shooting Sports we strive hard to have our firearms around as many youth as we can! By doing this we teach safe habits so that hopefully they do not grow up to be gun ignorant adults!

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    And back to the op...

Only in Lake Co.- GARY police are INVESTIGATING an altercation in a elementary school between two parents, 1 had a firearm a teacher who reported the event to the police said he feared for his life .GARY POLICE are investigating to see what charges apply . Read in The TIMES 4/26/10
    My take on this is more than likely the perp. is probably connected to come politician .

And this is exactly why I wish I could carry to schools. I often find myself sitting in those Lake Co. school parking lots wishing I had my 9 on my side. Or that I could even take my knife in without setting off the metal detectors (I can't say I've tried...I'm a bit of a chicken. Who knows, they might not even work.). *sigh* It really stinks that the places that I most often frequent and feel threatened at are the very places where I can't protect myself. I've often thought about parking just off campus, but that's just asking for trouble at most of the Gary/Hammond schools.

musclecarr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Owen County
    Way back in 1981:oldwise: I took a shotgun to school in NW hendricks county
    (Tri-West) took it to the principals office, and later took it to speech class and described how to take apart and clean it. I asked if it was ok first. It was ok back then! Now if you take a squirt gun, they'll call the athuorities. My point being, every school should teach gun safety. Every school should have a class on shooting firearms, if it's a students wish to take this class. My belief is if you start them young, to respect guns, and each other, and closely monitor the students. Shooting sports can be fun. This includes Archery! There is nothing wrong with young people and guns!:patriot:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    My local High School has a short shooting range for .22's just off the gymnasium, and the HS has a shooting team that competes against other High School teams. I think it's wonderful.

I don't speak about it often because I am hesitant to draw attention to it.

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Talk about not having a clue ddwood04 tops the list! here at Johnson County 4H Shooting Sports we strive hard to have our firearms around as many youth as we can! By doing this we teach safe habits so that hopefully they do not grow up to be gun ignorant adults!
    This is a very good thing Kids need to learn about safe gun handling. And no better place than in 4H. The way it seems to me they are not learning it at home. When I was in school I bet half of the kids that drove to school had guns for hunting in there cars. And yes there were cars when I went to school.:yesway:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis

Dude! Yeah, I mean, guns are, like, dangerous and stuff. And, like, they can hurt people, and stuff, and its not like grass, which is just a herb, and is, like, natural, and...and...
    Wait, what were we talking about?:dunno:

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Way back in 1981:oldwise: I took a shotgun to school in NW hendricks county
    (Tri-West) took it to the principals office, and later took it to speech class and described how to take apart and clean it. I asked if it was ok first. It was ok back then! Now if you take a squirt gun, they'll call the athuorities. My point being, every school should teach gun safety. Every school should have a class on shooting firearms, if it's a students wish to take this class. My belief is if you start them young, to respect guns, and each other, and closely monitor the students. Shooting sports can be fun. This includes Archery! There is nothing wrong with young people and guns!:patriot:

Agree with you _to a point_... I am NOT sure I want the schools teaching ANYTHING more than scholastics.... I believe that's more of a parent's role. Can you imagine all of the politically correct BS that would result? No thank you.

I totally agree that it should be taught and promoted - shooting sports included. I'm just not a big proponent of public schools doing it. Nor going any further than they already have. I DO think that kids need activities like this. I'm just not sure that the public option is the best way to get it to them...

4H is mentioned above - now THAT's a more reasonable alternative, I think.... Doesn't cost like crazy, good people... winnage all of the way around.

But hey, the "no public option" argument leads to a whole 'nother kettle of fish...

Muddy_Ford

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Hartford City
    When i was in high school in the late 90's we had a rifle team. The amazing thing was that it was in FL. Granted they were only air rifles, but still better than nothing.

Our rifle team was part of our JROTC unit. So it was extracurricular.
    We even got Varsity letters for our participation.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom