• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I'm an AR guy, but it's not an exclusive relationship. Pretty much any weapon has enjoyable aspects. Sometimes instead of the AR I'll break out the SKS, or one of my others. Once you find a weapon that works for YOU, and that YOU enjoy shooting, you'll practice with it, you'll enjoy it, and you'll use it well; whether it's an AR, AK, SKS, Mosin, Mauser, High Point, or something else entirely - find what works for you, have fun, and you'll ultimately be more effective than you would be with someone else's idea of a "better" weapon. :ar15: :draw: :shoot: :smileak: :biggun: :starwars:

It's not someone else's idea of a "better" weapon as you say. Rather it is a fact that cannot be disputed. Firearms technology evolves (It's true), I have a Mosin Nagant 91/30 that I enjoy shooting, it's fun, but to think that somehow the Mosin is more effective in my hands than an AR is in somebody else's hands with similiar proficiency is absurd. Bolt-action battle rifles are done, they simply cannot match modern or even semi-modern semi-auto rifles like the AK, AR, M1A, FAL, etc.

As previously stated, it's not someone's opinon. If you or anyone else would like to compare the Mosin, single shot 12 gauge, .22 LR, muzzle loader, whatever to any viable semi-auto rifle such as the AR, AK, M1A, etc. and come to the conclusion that the former are "just as effective," I'm all ears.

Hardware matters too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Is it just me or do the Mosin people (not all but most) love to stir the poop pile and get people off track with all of this silly comparison of the very old and out dated to the new??

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Is it just me or do the Mosin people (not all but most) love to stir the poop pile and get people off track with all of this silly comparison of the very old and out dated to the new??

Mosin trolls should be punished..

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    "Girls, girls, you're both pretty."
    - Roxanne, in Megamind

:)

Guns are tools. Old tools, new tools, the most important thing is to use the right tool for the job.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    The modern firearms cult are mostly realists. They see the reality of the situation and pick the obvious answer. Just stop.

I'm looking at the reality of the situation and this guy want to cheaply arm his friends. And can the AR be had for under 200? I'm saying the Mosin is a good gun to arm idiots with because it's so simple. If money wasnt a issue then ARs with Aimpoints by all means. But money is a issue.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    I'm looking at the reality of the situation and this guy want to cheaply arm his friends. And can the AR be had for under 200? I'm saying the Mosin is a good gun to arm idiots with because it's so simple. If money wasnt a issue then ARs with Aimpoints by all means. But money is a issue.

Mosin and simple don't belong in the same sentence.

Not very ergonomic, and most people who aren't familiar with guns aren't going to be accurately making 50-150 yard shots like the Mosin was designed for.

Far simpler and in the same general price range is the Mossberg 500 platform...

Point in general direction, pull the trigger, rack the action. Repeat.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Mosin and simple don't belong in the same sentence.

Not very ergonomic, and most people who aren't familiar with guns aren't going to be accurately making 50-150 yard shots like the Mosin was designed for.

Far simpler and in the same general price range is the Mossberg 500 platform...

Point in general direction, pull the trigger, rack the action. Repeat.

M44s can be found 200. But I agree use a mossberg 500 with slugs

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    M44s can be found 200. But I agree use a mossberg 500 with slugs

Man do you guys go on. After reading all of this I am back to just running with my original crew. Again, No ticky, no washy

The answer to the original op question I think would be if I have an extra weapon (and I do) and you bring something to the party, food, water, fuel, We will discuss it or we may just use our guns to take your stuff. Would depend on a lot of factors. Just saying.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    this is what i do with mosin and some of it's old friends :D

dsc01924ps.jpg

I can't see it. Describe it to me

wpframe01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    It's not someone else's idea of a "better" weapon as you say. Rather it is a fact that cannot be disputed. Firearms technology evolves (It's true), I have a Mosin Nagant 91/30 that I enjoy shooting, it's fun, but to think that somehow the Mosin is more effective in my hands than an AR is in somebody else's hands with similiar proficiency is absurd. Bolt-action battle rifles are done, they simply cannot match modern or even semi-modern semi-auto rifles like the AK, AR, M1A, FAL, etc.

As previously stated, it's not someone's opinon. If you or anyone else would like to compare the Mosin, single shot 12 gauge, .22 LR, muzzle loader, whatever to any viable semi-auto rifle such as the AR, AK, M1A, etc. and come to the conclusion that the former are "just as effective," I'm all ears.

Hardware matters too.

Actually, I agree with you. Will you see ME opt for a Mosin over an AR for a SHTF situation? No way. But as I said, I'm an AR guy. My point was simply that if someone enjoys shooting a Mosin but hates the AR (crazy I know, but there apparently are some out there) - then they are going to be more effective with the Mosin than they would be with the AR. :ar15:

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Actually, I agree with you. Will you see ME opt for a Mosin over an AR for a SHTF situation? No way. But as I said, I'm an AR guy. My point was simply that if someone enjoys shooting a Mosin but hates the AR (crazy I know, but there apparently are some out there) - then they are going to be more effective with the Mosin than they would be with the AR. :ar15:

I don't hate the AR. I just like the Mosin. It seems that once I become as proficient with the AR as I am with the Mosin then I will see the Mosin in a different light. Is this correct?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Actually that had very little to do with the Russians winning against the Germans...

What defeated the Germans can be summed up in one word, Logistics... ;)

That one word also defeated Napoleon...

Russian winter.

As an aside, I was told by several people in my youth that the Russians had developed a synthetic gas substitute that would still work in Russian winters, but it was too expensive for us to use in modern America, because it would cost over $1 / gallon to make. (this should tell you when I went to school). I've always wondered why this synthetic hasn't been promoted since then.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Russian winter.

As an aside, I was told by several people in my youth that the Russians had developed a synthetic gas substitute that would still work in Russian winters, but it was too expensive for us to use in modern America, because it would cost over $1 / gallon to make. (this should tell you when I went to school). I've always wondered why this synthetic hasn't been promoted since then.

Didn't they add gasoline to their gun oil to clean there mosins also? To keep them from freezing

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    so, a few of my buddies know that i am the right guy to come to if shtf....if you had to choose 3 or 4 extra guns to buy for your buddies in case of a shtf scenario, what would they be? cheaper the better

So, you have a bunch of friends that don't have anything and want to live off of your prepping? Sounds like a bunch of great friends. I would cut the slack and tell everybody to stear clear of your house when that moment comes. I don't care who is thinking they need to come get something from my house, the ones that know that possibility exists already have their own s&*t.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom