• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ninja1310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    What a horrible game... I'll be obsessing over which shop this is now. I'll have to say that I haven't had any problems at any of the LGS's I've been to here.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    I like the idea of not outing. It makes all good gunshops look at their place, and see if they are the problem. They also make changes if need be. You out one shop, they're the only one that does anything.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We used to frequent 5 LGS within half an hours drive time from us. After seeing what serious A$$HATS one of the owners really was we have reduced that number to 4. Simple as that.
    If you listen and watch it does not take a long to really see who these people are.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I guess I'm not that easily chafed. I don't always have my A game. I don't expect anyone else to be any better. I have probably been in my LGS 50-75 times in the last year. I have gotten to know the people who work there. They have gotten to know me. Stupid things are said in there. Sometimes by the clientele and sometimes by the staff. Occasionally, it might even be me. I try not to hold anyone to a higher standard than I hold myself.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    I can understand the pro's and the con's of naming a store, I am going to lay down a true story not more than a week old.
    I stopped in to a gunshop on Hwy 7 in Columbus Ind. My first time there. Have been looking for a CZ 75 BD Police 9mm for quite a while now. (Have had some bad experiences with more than this shop) Asked the lady if she had one and no but she would be ordering one, Asked how much out the door. She said around 519.00 and that she would call me when in. Left my name and number and she said which days they would get the shipment from there. I called on that day, could not wait for her to call me. Was a little excited. She said Yes it was in and and it would be 599, plus tax.
    I said that is not what we discussed and she said "Well I don't have time to talk to you, I have other customers. I said Thats OK , I am not interrested, I will not enter that store again.
    My husband asked my nephew to go try to buy the gun. He called and she offered it to him for 525. plus tax. He called and I will never buy anything from them. I said NO WAY.
    I am a person of my word and I expect no less from others!
    Now I could name the shop but those that shop around Columbus may have never had a problem, now they have second opinions about me and the only thing I was doing was venting.
    I am my mothers (96^yrs old) caretaker and I do not get to get out and shop away from home so my near shops are limited and more so now

I know the store, got a great price on a Ruger american (lower than anywhere else). They are a little different, if you stop in they are a little cold to new faces but generally polite. But at the same time I have been there and it's not so pleasant. Hit or miss and day of week I guess. Been back a few times but no other purchases from them, maybe later.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Why do I read stories like this from time to time? Gun stores not selling ammo unless you buy a gun. Jerky attitudes. Etc... Is the gun demand so great the gun store owners can treat their customers like trash?

When certain ammo is in short supply, a shop may reserve some to go along with the guns they have for sale.

Sometimes folks want to buy a new gun and actually shoot it ;)

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I am usually treated ok in local gun shops.
    But, I wish one of the larger shops,
    complete with a range, would institute a
    "take a number" system during busy periods.

Thanks

Mark

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I can understand the pro's and the con's of naming a store, I am going to lay down a true story not more than a week old.
    I stopped in to a gunshop on Hwy 7 in Columbus Ind. My first time there. Have been looking for a CZ 75 BD Police 9mm for quite a while now. (Have had some bad experiences with more than this shop) Asked the lady if she had one and no but she would be ordering one, Asked how much out the door. She said around 519.00 and that she would call me when in. Left my name and number and she said which days they would get the shipment from there. I called on that day, could not wait for her to call me. Was a little excited. She said Yes it was in and and it would be 599, plus tax.
    I said that is not what we discussed and she said "Well I don't have time to talk to you, I have other customers. I said Thats OK , I am not interrested, I will not enter that store again.
    My husband asked my nephew to go try to buy the gun. He called and she offered it to him for 525. plus tax. He called and I will never buy anything from them. I said NO WAY.
    I am a person of my word and I expect no less from others!
    Now I could name the shop but those that shop around Columbus may have never had a problem, now they have second opinions about me and the only thing I was doing was venting.
    I am my mothers (96^yrs old) caretaker and I do not get to get out and shop away from home so my near shops are limited and more so now

I know who you are speaking of. They strike me as genuinely nice people. Maybe just having a bad day or had a tactless moment. Interestingly enough I don't see them mentioned here much if at all.

I know the store, got a great price on a Ruger american (lower than anywhere else). They are a little different, if you stop in they are a little cold to new faces but generally polite. But at the same time I have been there and it's not so pleasant. Hit or miss and day of week I guess. Been back a few times but no other purchases from them, maybe later.

I think that's a good way to put it.

Jmebd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I'll share a story with a southern Indiana gun shop recently..... The one on 37 down near the north side of Paoli just off the side of the road in a little strip mall looking building.

Went there looking for bullets, powder, and primers (like everyone else in the world right now) and found a pretty sizeable amount of bullets and powder so I grabbed about $250 worth and laid it out near the register. I noticed the owner showing off 3 new AR15's he was calling Bushmaster Windhams (which I thought it was one or the other but not the point).....the customer wasn't really interested but the owner must have known him and was telling him that he needed it.....kept standing there waiting to be checked out.....after the customer was done and handed the rifle back to the owner and he started toward me to check me out I said "I already have one but just wondering how much you were asking for that?" He told me $1199...pretty decent price at the time where nobody had any....was just a flat-top one but still....I asked about a case and such and was told yes...well, was feeling spunky and don't see anything wrong with asking since all you're gonna be told is no and people who buy/sell guns SHOULD be willing to negotiate with you I said "I tell you what...I'll give you $1050 cash right now if you'd take it" (I had my tax refund just a couple days before and holes burning in my pocket). He paused for a few seconds and said "I dunno...." shaking his head...you could see the wheels turning...said "Lemmie see how much I have in it first....I have to make at least 10% to keep afloat here" so I said "Oh NO problem, I understand, I don't expect you to give em away (laughing) everybody has to make a living no problem"....he grabbed his buy book and started looking. Now, really, I didn't NEED this thing I was just getting caught up in the hype and was considering building one myself to not only save money but also to get the experience and fun involved in doing such. He found the entry and kinda grumbled a bit and started doing figures in his head and said, "tell you what....I can go $1080"....all of this at about 5:40 pm and the store closes at 6pm and I HAD one of my daughters with me that had to be at a class back up in Bedford AT 6pm so I didn't have much time at all to get going. I asked how long it was currently taking on NICS checks and he said 5 minutes which sounded too good to be true but whatever...the store was packed and by this time several other people were coming around trying to listen to me negotiate with him becoming interested. I told him that I couldn't stay and needed to get my daughter to Bedford BUT will be back tomorrow and he said ok. Went back the following day around 4pm to pickup the gun and said "hey there...here to grab that Windham you said you'd take $1080 for yesterday"....went downhill from there....

Now I guess I SHOULD have placed some money down to lock in the deal but when I give a person my word and a store owner does as well then I take it for good. He just grimmaced and said that he sold one earlier today and that he couldn't take the $1080 that we agreed upon and that "I can put it on gunbroker and get $1500+ for it"......REALLY? This is how you're going to treat your customers? Then why in the heck would you have a retail location that you have to pay upkeep for then...just do it out of your garage or room of your house then.....NOT the way to keep customers in a small southern indiana town. I really didn't think it unreasonable especially since I had just proven to him I had some money and plinked down over $250 for powder & bullets the day before. I ended up walking away after telling him I'd just go ahead and build my own which I'm currently doing....3 of them actually.... May not be a big deal to some and only about $100 or so difference but still....what good is a mans word anymore....mine I know is good....

Sorry for the long rant....just wanted to get that out of my system. Just for the record, I don't expect free hand outs or anything else...I was just merely tossing out an idea/offer to him that he could have very well turned down straight out and I would have been fine with that saying "sorry, item as priced guy" and I'd not think anything less of the place. But now, I'll never go back there again since his credibility is now damaged to the point of "wonder what/how else he is not keeping his word with regarding gunsmithing etc...)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    People keep listing me as possibly being a troll, unfortunately I don' know what that means. Could someone please explain? New to the forums.

Stick around and pay them no heed. There have been many post up lately just stirring the pile and looking to get in the classifieds with their 50 posts.

CLowe

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Generally it has been my experiance , (not calling the origanal poster out )
    That most of the people that get on forums and complain about shops , usually complain about all shops , or stores .
    And most of the time it is their "Im the customer you need to kiss my butt " attitude that causes these things .

Again original poster , Im no saying this about you :popcorn:

Top Bottom