• Status
    Not open for further replies.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Oh no, that is miraculously safe and somehow exempted from the rules that cannot have exemptions.

:laugh:

I'm still waiting on explanations as to how certain scenarios can be exempted from the rules that cannot have exemptions. They have yet to answer those questions.

The father and son at the gun store were pointing their rifle all over the store and pulling the trigger.

That really is all that needs to be said. It is irrelevant if they know it was safe. It is irrelevant if YOU know it is safe. That's bad practice regardless of the state of the gun. That's why the OP was upset.

You PLAY how you PRACTICE. If you practice bad habits, those bad habits will come out in real life.

hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    The father and son at the gun store were pointing their rifle all over the store and pulling the trigger.

That really is all that needs to be said. It is irrelevant if they know it was safe. It is irrelevant if YOU know it is safe. That's bad practice regardless of the state of the gun. That's why the OP was upset.

You PLAY how you PRACTICE. If you practice bad habits, those bad habits will come out in real life.

This post is expresses my feelings exactly especially the "You PLAY how you PRACTICE. If you practice bad habits, those bad habits will come out in real life.[/quote]

And for those that think I over reacted it was not you that had an closed bolt shogun pointed at you from about 10 feet away by someone who was clueless. :popcorn:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Rule #1 is just silly. There really is no purpose in even calling it a rule.

The other three are adequate.

When someone violates any of those three, they generally claim, "but it isn't loaded."

Rather than argue about "rule #1" whether it realistically is or isn't loaded, just point out that we don't want to violate those three rules with unloaded guns, either.

Simple.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You need to read the OP again. Nowhere does it say they were pointing it all over the store and pulling the trigger.

Also, a very limited understanding of firearms would tell you that after the trigger has been pulled once nothing else will happen when you attempt to pull the trigger again. It is physically impossible. Do you not understand that? You can pull until you turn blue in the face and the most you're going to do is break the trigger off, but nothing else is going to happen.

Isn't that ironic?:rolleyes:
    Yes, it is pretty ironic. You were pretty insistent that you were right, then all of the sudden you quit posting meaningful replies, like a dog tucking it's tail between it's legs and running away in defeat. It's like the lightbulb in your head just clicked on, but you weren't man enough to admit that you were wrong but now you see the light.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN

Exactly! It's a mindset, NOT just a set of rules. That's why some don't get it... They don't THINK that way, but rather try to find exceptions to the rules. If you treat all guns alike you greatly reduce your chances of a negligent discharge. We won't even sweep or cover anyone with a plastic blue gun in the classroom.

To the guy that posted about his shoulder holster allowing him to sweep everyone, well I guess now you know why there is not a range around that will let you use one in competition.... nor will any of the major shooting disciplines. (IDPA, USPSA, etc.)

I wasn't going to dignify this with a response, but If I want to check a bore I strip the gun. If I could not view it from the breech I'd just bring it to you... you'd be more than happy to look down the barrel, and frankly I'd be more tha n happy to let you. :laugh:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    To the guy that posted about his shoulder holster allowing him to sweep everyone, well I guess now you know why there is not a range around that will let you use one in competition.... nor will any of the major shooting disciplines. (IDPA, USPSA, etc.)
    It's not just shoulder holsters, there are other hip holsters that allow the firearm to point at the carrier or others. What about those?

What about guns that are in gun cases?

If I could not view it from the breech I'd just bring it to you
    I sure hope you're kidding. You've never checked the barrel on a revolver? Never dealt with muzzleloaders?

Or, by stating that you'd bring it to me did you really mean that you just discovered that you're a hypocrite but you're too shameful to admit it?

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I got a challenge for Country Boy, if he passes I'll shut up.

Go to Gander Mountain, ask to see a gun. After the Salesperson clears it, you clear it and then you dry fire it.

Then you walk around and put the same gun up to the head of several customers and pull the trigger all the while announcing "I KNOW THIS GUN IS SAFE. I CAN PULL THIS TRIGGER UNTIL I'M BLUE IN THE FACE AND NOTHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN."

If you're still walking upright after doing this a couple times, I'll apologize...

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    My worst experience in a gun store was some wanna be cop/gangster, something who pulled out an airsoft gun and proceeded to shoot one of his buddies in the store. I had my daughter with me and my experiene their is that all the staff, and most of the customers are armed (including me). Needless to say I got out of the store ASAP with my daughter. Who stasrts shooting an airsoft gun inside a gunstore???

Benjamin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I agree with countryboy.

I pass unloaded handguns to people with the slide closed and I think most people do. In fact I have a shoulder holster that points the muzzle behind me when I carry my 1911 cocked and locked. I don't think it's unreasonable for a customer to test out a trigger pull, after he has properly checked to make sure the firearm is unloaded, as long as the firearm is pointed in a safe direction. In fact when I bought my last pistol I politely asked if I could test the trigger and the guys behind the counter obliged my requests. Also, I bought a Bushmaster M4 patrol carbine from gander mountain and I politely asked the guys working behind the counter if I could do a functions check (which involves pulling the trigger) and they were fine with it.

I will admit that it's better to pass a weapon with the action open but I think some people here are overreacting a little bit.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I agree with countryboy.

I pass unloaded handguns to people with the slide closed and I think most people do. In fact I have a shoulder holster that points the muzzle behind me when I carry my 1911 cocked and locked. I don't think it's unreasonable for a customer to test out a trigger pull, after he has properly checked to make sure the firearm is unloaded, as long as the firearm is pointed in a safe direction. In fact when I bought my last pistol I politely asked if I could test the trigger and the guys behind the counter obliged my requests. Also, I bought a Bushmaster M4 patrol carbine from gander mountain and I politely asked the guys working behind the counter if I could do a functions check (which involves pulling the trigger) and they were fine with it.

I will admit that it's better to pass a weapon with the action open but I think some people here are overreacting a little bit.

So pointing a firearm AT the original poster is a safe direction?

That's what this is all about.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I got a challenge for Country Boy, if he passes I'll shut up.

Go to Gander Mountain, ask to see a gun. After the Salesperson clears it, you clear it and then you dry fire it.

Then you walk around and put the same gun up to the head of several customers and pull the trigger all the while announcing "I KNOW THIS GUN IS SAFE. I CAN PULL THIS TRIGGER UNTIL I'M BLUE IN THE FACE AND NOTHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN."

If you're still walking upright after doing this a couple times, I'll apologize...
    First lets address the fact that you don't even understand what transpired in the OP. Once you understand that and apply your "challenge" to what transpired there then I'll acknowledge your little "challenge".

Since you seem to have such a hard time understanding it, let me spell it out for you, I'll even put it in bold too.

According to the OP the trigger was never pulled after the first time/dry-fire. As a matter of fact, the trigger couldn't have been pulled again until the hammer was reset by cycling the action. Also, the interested parties were all aware that the trigger was pulled on a empty chamber.

Now, I'll give you an example that would more appropriately apply to that situation. I walk into a gun-store, choose any firearm that is not double-action. That means once the trigger is pulled and the hammer falls, the action must be cycled before the trigger can be pulled again. Then, I would take said firearm and sweep a bystander that knows the hammer is dropped on an empty chamber, I will lay the gun on the counter pointed in his/her direction, then I will pick it back up and point it at my leg while holding it. I bet there is less than 10% chance somebody will even say anything to me, let along physically touch me. Of course, that is all hypothetical because I would never personally do that; the point I've been trying to make all along is that nobody was in any danger in the OP's scenario. That doesn't mean I condone said behavior, just that it's not dangerous.

Want to keep trying? You seem to be having trouble properly understanding the similarities and differences between situations here, but I'll give you some more chances if you need them.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    You don't get that it is totally irrelevant the condition of the gun or amount of danger.

You don't point guns at people. On purpose or by accident. People don't like having guns pointed at them. Good people understand that and don't do it. Bad people argue why the gun couldn't technically have gone off.

That paragraph you wrote above is you arguing why the gun couldn't technically have gone off...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...like a dog tucking it's tail between it's legs and running away in defeat.

Yep, now you are on to me.

Actually, you made it clear from very early on that you were smarter than The Four Rules, lacking the discipline or desire to follow them. At that early point in time, it was very clear that you are a dangerous sloppy firearms handler. One to be avoided.

Since you've proven to listen to no one but yourself talking and talking and talking, it became obvious that a match of your dangerous behavior and true character would be helpful to the readers.
    Thank you very much. You have been quite accommodating.;)

Point proven, end of story. :D
    Not such a smart*** now are you?

You're like the little 2nd grade girl on the bus, "Whatever, blah blah blah, talk to my hand because my face don't talk" :laugh: Now your maturity level truly comes out. ;)

This is getting exciting, and the pos rep just keeps going up on my end...

It's like the lightbulb in your head just clicked on, but you weren't man enough to admit that you were wrong but now you see the light.

...did you really mean that you just discovered that you're a hypocrite but you're too shameful to admit it?

There are those people out there that have a brain and they use it, then there are those those don't...

You seem like the type of person that couldn't even pour water out of a boot if the directions were written on the bottom. The best of luck to you!

...like a dog tucking it's tail between it's legs and running away in defeat.

Glad to see you've admitted you were wrong.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You don't get that it is totally irrelevant the condition of the gun or amount of danger.

You don't point guns at people. On purpose or by accident. People don't like having guns pointed at them. Good people understand that and don't do it. Bad people argue why the gun couldn't technically have gone off.

That paragraph you wrote above is you arguing why the gun couldn't technically have gone off...
    It is completely relevant to the condition of the gun and anybody that says otherwise is a hypocrite. That is what you clearly don't get. It is impossible to avoid pointing firearms at people 100% of the time unless you're never around other people. It is the condition of those firearms at the time that they're pointed at people that makes the situation safe or possibly unsafe. If a firearm is in a holster/case/etc it is relatively safe, loaded or not. If it is in the hands of somebody but it has been rendered inoperable then it is absolutely 100% safe.

You just don't seem to understand that.

I'm done arguing, it's quite obvious that we will never come to a conclusion.

There are those people out there that have a brain and they use it, then there are those those don't and must follow through life using a direction booklet and manual. I'll use my brain for most of life.

You seem like the type of person that couldn't even pour water out of a boot if the directions were written on the bottom. The best of luck to you!

Yep, now you are on to me.
    Glad to see you've admitted you were wrong.

Actually, you made it clear from very early on that you were smarter than The Four Rules, lacking the discipline or desire to follow them.

Where might I have made that clear at? Please point me to it. I'm quite intrigued.

At that early point in time it was very clear that you are a dangerous sloppy firearms handler. One to be avoided.
    And when might you have witnessed my firearm handling abilities? I can 100% guarantee you that if I practice what I preached in this thread not a single person will ever be harmed by one of my firearms. So please show me where I've demonstrated dangerous, sloppy firearms handling.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom