Gun Slingers gun shows have lost a customer.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Doubt I will attend many more shows by Gun Slinger due to the door attendant. My son & attended the show at Lafayette Sunday 12-16-12. I locked my gun in the car, son carried his 357 into the show, unloaded with the ammo in his pocket. Son showed handgun to attendant (revolver with open chamber fully unloaded). Attendent then asked if son had cartridges with him, son replied they are in my pocket. Attendant said my son couldn't carry the cartridges into the show. (in my opinion attendant was an IDIOT), Son said "why not", I can walk in and buy a box at any vendor and load if that was my intention. Attendant made him put rounds in car - probably last time I give Gun Slinger the opportunity to take any of my money.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Doubt I will attend many more shows by Gun Slinger due to the door attendant. My son & attended the show at Lafayette Sunday 12-16-12. I locked my gun in the car, son carried his 357 into the show, unloaded with the ammo in his pocket. Son showed handgun to attendant (revolver with open chamber fully unloaded). Attendent then asked if son had cartridges with him, son replied they are in my pocket. Attendant said my son couldn't carry the cartridges into the show. (in my opinion attendant was an IDIOT), Son said "why not", I can walk in and buy a box at any vendor and load if that was my intention. Attendant made him put rounds in car - probably last time I give Gun Slinger the opportunity to take any of my money.

Of course that is their right to set their rules and it is your right to vote with your pocket book.

I didn't think the Lafayette show was too bad. It is small compared to the 1500 but I think they had quality venders without any yard junk.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The Gun Slingers show at Kay's Merchandise is where the "Lady, DON'T. RACK. THE. SLIDE!!" dude was.
    ...And where my money wasn't.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I had to leave my magazine at the table. The door man put a white label on the floor plate with my name on it.

There was one very strange thing. I told him I was "hot" (loaded weapon). Apparently he thought that I had to discharge my pistol to unload it. I was . . . perplexed.:n00b:

The door man had nnother security guard in gray and black came over and unloaded my pistol and then gave it back to me. Very strange.

Leaving there was no sand barrel or wall of sand bags, which makes me nervous. I don't think they thought the gun check process out too well.

joejenders

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Those of us that go to gun shows are there for our enjoyment. Don't let one uneductated gate keeper ruin the pleasure for you and your son. Besides, that guy may be following orders. Things are going to get a lot worse for us before things improve.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I always hand them my gun with the slide racked back and let them put there stupid zip tie on the gun. But I always carry a few loaded mags and a knife in my pocket just in case something pops off in the show.

But why do they let the vendors carry loaded guns on their side? Most of the vendors are good guys/gals, but some of the private collection or fly by night vendors worry me with lack of gun knowledge.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I have a friend who puts on some smaller gun shows, Due to insurance he was not allowed to let you carry hot. Friend or not I dont go to the shows anymore, (i dont willingly go where my emergency response kit can't) But i do only blame the insurance policies.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I always hand them my gun with the slide racked back and let them put there stupid zip tie on the gun. But I always carry a few loaded mags and a knife in my pocket just in case something pops off in the show.

But why do they let the vendors carry loaded guns on their side? Most of the vendors are good guys/gals, but some of the private collection or fly by night vendors worry me with lack of gun knowledge.

I don't know of any promoter that allows their vendors to have a loaded firearm in the show building. I'm not saying that there is not a few unknown to the promoter, but it is against every promoter's policy that I know of. Your concern over whether a "vendor" has gun knowledge is the same concern that promoters have about the general public that attend the shows, thus is one of the main reasons for the no loaded firearms policy at the shows. :twocents:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Their show, Their rules. Sounds like every other Gun Show I've been to.
    Maybe, but I have never, EVER been told I could not carry cartridges into a gun show. I have probably attended 100 or so shows. The attendant at the door was rude and in my opinion unreasonable. I can somewhat understand the unloading of guns and the plastic clip in the gun to prevent loading as there are certainly people carrying in arms to sell that have no firearm knowledge. There may also be possible insurance issues, but what is the issue with having cartridges separate from the gun when they are available at many tables in the show? If you wanted to go into the show to shoot someone, you certainly would just say "I don't have a firearm on me", you aren't searched, although the way this guy talked, he would like to search everyone. As you say though their show, their rules. My answer to that is "My money, my choice". I have only attended a couple of the Gun Slinger shows and have plenty of other shows and places to spend my money.

RiverParker

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    You know, I'm all for carrying and 2A rights, but I'm REALLY sick of seeing posts like this. What a poor attitude of entitlement. "Here I was, entering someone else's private property and they think they can tell me what I can, and can't do while I'm there!! I'm an American. I can do whatever I want, wherver I want!" I'd like to see how posters like this would react if someone was on THEIR property with this attitude.

For the OP, how would you feel if I came over to your house with that attitude? Maybe decide to take a nice dump right on your dinner table. I see no problem with it cause I could just go into the bathroom and take one there, but I bet you'd see things differently than me. And when I ask you why, what would you tell me........?

micheljns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Im a Vendor and they always allow me to carry my gun. I even asked at my first show to make sure it was ok and they said yes, just unload it if you unholster it to show someone. I stated that it wasnt for sale it was for personal protection and I was told that was fine.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Im a Vendor and they always allow me to carry my gun. I even asked at my first show to make sure it was ok and** they said yes, just unload it if you unholster it to show someone. I stated that it wasnt for sale it was for personal protection and I was told that was fine.

Really? Which show and promoter would that be? I really need to know so I can avoid doing this promoter's shows.

**This is were the problem lies, every time you unload and reload, the chance of a discharge increases dramatically.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Their show, Their rules. Sounds like every other Gun Show I've been to.

I always have unloaded my gun, put the mag in my pocket and let the officer or attendant at the door strap my semi-auto. Mag is in my pocket and I walk in. This has been a while back as I no longer go to these shows regularly.

Top Bottom