• ...and so much more!
  • bianjd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Hobart
    Hello,
    I am a new member here and just got my LTCH in the mail and am lookin to buy my first handgun. I would like a place that has some time to spend with me giving me some info. Any suggestions would be nice.

Thanks
    Jeremiah

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    If you are willing to jump over to Griffith, the Blythe's store over there is not huge, but a pretty good selection.

Not to far out of Merrillville....im on the outter part of M'ville.

The BassPro is out on 80-94 & 20....Cabelas right off 80-94 in Hammond....Gander Mountain in Merrillville next to mall...but expensive.

Try Blythes first, you find something a bit higher than you expected to spend they have a layaway plan that rocks.

Then goto walmart for cheap target ammo. :D

supermahns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Blythes indeed. I live in valpo and theres one over here. I'll go there just to BS with them sometimes. Good people.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    Blythes indeed. I live in valpo and theres one over here. I'll go there just to BS with them sometimes. Good people.

Your Valpo Blythe's is better...but i wasnt sure if he wanted to travel that far....of course its only what...20/25 minutes from merrillville.

supermahns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Yup. Seems about right. Never been to the other one in s-ville. Cant imagine they'd be too different

curtissp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Good friend of mind has bought alot of guns at Blythe's in Vapo he says great people to deal with. I have had excellent buying experience at both Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop would buy from either one again.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Don't forget WESTFORTH'S just off of Taft Street at the Merrillville/Gary border (Gary). Its actually a pretty good shop, I found the people there both friendly and knowledgable and they took plenty of time with me.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    Don't forget WESTFORTH'S just off of Taft Street at the Merrillville/Gary border (Gary). Its actually a pretty good shop, I found the people there both friendly and knowledgable and they took plenty of time with me.

Prices are highish, especially for FFL transfers, but they're not bad and they have a decent selection. And the staff has always been to me too. I used to buy bait and fishing gear there frequently. I like the petite dark haired lady. Kinda reminds me of an older hippie. But a hippie that works in a gun shop. :rockwoot:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Is Jim Shema's still on Broadway in Merrillville? I don't remember the address, but it was south of the big drive in movie?

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county

I live right down the road from Westforths...my wife bought a holster for my glock (paddle holster) not knowing i dont care for the paddle holsters i took it back...there was a younger guy behind the counter, must have been wearing 4 guns and a few knives...wouldnt stop messing with the rifles.

Was kinda freakin me out...anyway i took it back and got some target ammo instead....lil up there in price.

But might be worth checking out some guns.

bianjd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Hobart
    Thanks for all the info a guy here at work also recommended midwest in mish. but thats out there I will see how far I can get the wife to go

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I live in NWI. I have found a couple of deals on used firearms at Blythe's in Valpo and Griffith. I bought my first firearm (a used .357 Ruger GP100 revolver) at Blythe's in Valpo years ago and they where really helpful. I would suggest visiting during the week since things can get really busy there on the weekends. The prices for new firearms are pretty much list just like Cabela's or Bass Pro unless they happen to be on sale.

I have driven to Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka for a firearm listed in one of their sale ad's. I would also recommend Granger Guns in Granger. The drive is pretty much equal to Midwest from NWI. The owner Steve is a nice guy and he has a pretty good selection of firearms at fair prices.

The best advice I can give is to browse and man handle the firearm you are looking for locally and then call around to find the best price. I would also work towards your 50 quality posts on INGO since good deals can be found here.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    I'm from Michigan City and it is a lil bit of a drive, but midwest gun exchange is one of the best around, prices are usually pretty good, and the service is good as long as you have a little patience, cuz they are generally fairly busy and they work with you one on one so sometimes it may take a lil bit, but usually worth it

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    148   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm pretty new to NWI as well and have bought all of my recent guns from Midwest Gun Exchange. The staff has always been helpful, whether I was looking at something I was familiar with or a new firearm.

Blythe's in Valpo is actually closer for me but their new gun prices seem pretty high. Their used prices can be spotty as well. I found better prices at Bass Pro on a few different handguns (to my surprise).

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Thanks for all the info a guy here at work also recommended midwest in mish. but thats out there I will see how far I can get the wife to go

Midwest has a pretty nice variety of firearms but you'll need to do your homework as some of the stuff is pretty high. About half the staff is cool, a couple pretty decent, and some I'd rather never have to speak to again. If you'd be coming that far you might as well check out their Elkhart shop and ZX in Goshen to make a day of it. As far as in your area, I've been to Blythe's in Valpo and even though they were pretty busy they were friendly and very helpful (I wasn't buying, went along with an uncle to help him pick something out).

Top Bottom