• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone know of any gun shops in or very near Merrillville, maybe Valpo? LotsofGlocks and I will passing through that way this Saturday and should have some time to kill, hoping to stop by a shop or two if there are any good ones. Thanks :ingo:

edti: I guess I know of Blythe's in Valpo. Worth a stop?

Last edited:

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Blythe's Valpo store has a some inventory. The prices are pretty high. There is also Deb's Gun Shop and Range on Kennedy Ave. in Hammond, as well as a Cabellas in Hammond. There is a Gander Mountain in Southlake Mall in Merrillville.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    Westforth Sporting Goods, on the edge of Merrillville/Gary border. Its just off TAFT a couple miles north of US30.

$50 for a transfer!!! But their inventory is not too bad.

mel, is westforth any good? i never knew they existed until i was trying to find some parts for my trolling motor and terstras marina told me to go there. i haven't went yet but their website looks like they may have a decent supply of guns. how are the folks there to work with?:ingo:

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    I've been to Westforth a couple times. Decent selection, workers are decent. At first their attitudes hit me funny, but I realized they are used to getting gangbangers mostly. After going there a couple times and chatting with one of the workers (Dave, younger guy around my age, upper 20's, loves heavy metal music) it was a better experience since I was seen as a gun enthusiast. The place is worth a stop, especially since they always seem to have ammo when everyone else doesn't.

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    mel, is westforth any good? i never knew they existed until i was trying to find some parts for my trolling motor and terstras marina told me to go there. i haven't went yet but their website looks like they may have a decent supply of guns. how are the folks there to work with?:ingo:

i've bought many guns at westforth..family owned..been there for ever...when i bought my 1st gun there about 25 yrs ago..they took every gun out for me let me inspect them for as long as a wanted..and answered all my stupid questions..they was very patient and helpful...plus a good gun selection....

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    went to blythes in griffith today. i live all of 4 blocks from them and usually hate going there. although, today was quite nice. played with a few toys and chatted with one of the guys for a minute. no attitude, and thats what i like. its worth a stop if your in this neck of the woods.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    edti: I guess I know of Blythe's in Valpo. Worth a stop?

Outrageous prices. They had a Kahr .380 priced at $689 in there a few days ago... small primers? $39.99 per 1k.

I'd like to recommend something but all the shops in this area suck.

Cabelas in Hammond and Basspro in Portage are great places to window shop, equally crazy prices on most things... some of the sale are good and they do price match so there is something.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Outrageous prices. They had a Kahr .380 priced at $689 in there a few days ago... small primers? $39.99 per 1k.

I'd like to recommend something but all the shops in this area suck.

Cabelas in Hammond and Basspro in Portage are great places to window shop, equally crazy prices on most things... some of the sale are good and they do price match so there is something.

What he said...:cool:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    And ditto on Blythes. Outrageous!!!

I stopped into Blythe's today in Griffith. I needed to arrange for 2 transfers. Both guns coming from the same dealer. I have not had them do a transfer for me for several years so I wasn't sure what to expect.

First guy I talk to is nice enough, he says the transfer fee is $50 per gun. I ask for a discount. He starts to cave and was about to give me a break when another guy chimes in and overrules him. Then he goes on to say that the the more expensive the gun, the more they charge for the transfer. $1000 gun, gets a $100 transfer fee. YIKES. He then goes on to begin to tell me about "all the paperwork" and "all the work" they have to go through to "process" a transfer like I am asking them to do. WTF!?! I know the paperwork, I used to go through it with Chuck at C.N.I. and I saw his book and what he did. He explained all of it to me and charged me $20 per gun, less if I did multiples.

Blythes is now off my list of places to go.

Sad too because I've actually gotten some good deals from them in the past. Gotten great service from them too.

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    Fetlas is closed in Porter County.

Blythes in Valpo had an email news letter with some decent deals. Bought some primers at $30 per k. Good deals on some guns too. Haven't seen one in a while though.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I stopped into Blythe's today in Griffith. I needed to arrange for 2 transfers. Both guns coming from the same dealer. I have not had them do a transfer for me for several years so I wasn't sure what to expect.

First guy I talk to is nice enough, he says the transfer fee is $50 per gun. I ask for a discount. He starts to cave and was about to give me a break when another guy chimes in and overrules him. Then he goes on to say that the the more expensive the gun, the more they charge for the transfer. $1000 gun, gets a $100 transfer fee. YIKES. He then goes on to begin to tell me about "all the paperwork" and "all the work" they have to go through to "process" a transfer like I am asking them to do. WTF!?! I know the paperwork, I used to go through it with Chuck at C.N.I. and I saw his book and what he did. He explained all of it to me and charged me $20 per gun, less if I did multiples.

Blythes is now off my list of places to go.

Sad too because I've actually gotten some good deals from them in the past. Gotten great service from them too.

They are AWFUL on transfers. I live all of two minutes down the road and I won't step foot in there, even to use their (ridiculously overpriced) range. I reached my limit with being treated like I'm 4 years old yet they're the ones sweeping customers everytime they pull a firearm off a wall. :n00b:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom