• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    As one who has worked for an evil bank that also owned a large portion of a CC processing company, I can tell you that I don't fault small businesses for begging for cash purchases. Prior to everyone living on credit cards, and credit basically being needed to survive in this country, these fees weren't that bad. Of course once people got hooked, the merchant processing companies decided to squeeze every nickle, dime, quarter, and dollar bill from the merchants that they can. From my understanding, they don't care if you bring in a billion dollars in transactions, or a million....it is all about their cut.

On the flip side, I think the smaller merchants should realize that if they want to get those folks willing to pay over five years just so they can have a Glock _now_, they shouldn't be screwing those people with adding 3% to the bill. However, I totally understand where the merchants are coming from at least asking minimum purchase amounts.

If this were really a free country, I wouldn't be so bothered by this, but it isn't. Behind every industry is massive government regulation. If any of us tried to get into the business, we would be attacked relentlessly. Only a handful of companies even offer the service. Not only that, even if you had the capital to fund this sort of company, I am not so sure that a few players couldn't block your access to the various networks. I like it how the financial companies want to take our tax money for their bad lending, yet I haven't heard any of them offering to reduce fees w/o the government mandating it.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    On the flip side, I think the smaller merchants should realize that if they want to get those folks willing to pay over five years just so they can have a Glock _now_, they shouldn't be screwing those people with adding 3% to the bill. However, I totally understand where the merchants are coming from at least asking minimum purchase amounts.

... snip ...
    :rules: If they take MV/Visa thay have to play by the rules.

(And I do report them)

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    :rules: If they take MV/Visa thay have to play by the rules.

(And I do report them)

The supreme court has already vaguely ruled that your rights to a handgun aren't absolute. We have no idea what rules they will/won't support in the future. They basically made it clear in their Heller ruling that licensing and registration would be acceptable. So, when that day finally comes where you have to pay a yearly $20 licensing fee _per_ weapon, you will be the first one to report yourself and pay? It doesn't matter what you or I think of the 2nd Amendment, the :rules: the Constitution lays out makes it clear that if the US Supreme Court says it is legal, then it is legal. Sometimes the rules should be broken. Just because the Constitution at one time said black people are only 3/5ths a person doesn't mean it was righteous. If you want to support government subsidized businesses squeezing every last dime out of your local mom and pop business, by all means, report them constantly. Just don't complain when the only place you can get a cookie is Walmart, the only place you can find anything gun related is Walmart, etc. etc..

Clearwat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    OP - So, is it Jerry's Gun shop? I ran out of cash once there and chose to pay the 3% additional. I was not happy, but at the time did not know it was against the credit card rules.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Wonder why he would think you are wasting his time:dunno:

I guess you missed the part where I said I have bought over 20 guns from him in the past. When I wanted to check out the new Glocks with the rough texture I went there to look at them. I decided I didn't like them and wouldn't buy them at any price, let alone the fact that he was charging $675.00 for one new and $39.00 for extra mags. If you want to pay that then feel free to do so. This dealer is about 45 minutes from my house, all other dealers are about 2+ hours one way.

If he has something that I like AND AT A DECENT PRICE then I will buy from him. I didn't hesitate for a second when I found my wifes S&W 3913 LS with 4 factory mags in excellent condition for $325.00. Same thing with the nickled Colt Cobra with pearl grips that looked like new for $350.00. I do refuse to be ripped off on new guns because a business it the only one that is close to my location.

I have listed the dealers name and city so feel free to look him up. Give him a call and ask him about prices on some common new guns then report back.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I guess you missed the part where I said I have bought over 20 guns from him in the past. When I wanted to check out the new Glocks with the rough texture I went there to look at them. I decided I didn't like them and wouldn't buy them at any price, let alone the fact that he was charging $675.00 for one new and $39.00 for extra mags. If you want to pay that then feel free to do so. This dealer is about 45 minutes from my house, all other dealers are about 2+ hours one way.

If he has something that I like AND AT A DECENT PRICE then I will buy from him. I didn't hesitate for a second when I found my wifes S&W 3913 LS with 4 factory mags in excellent condition for $325.00. Same thing with the nickled Colt Cobra with pearl grips that looked like new for $350.00. I do refuse to be ripped off on new guns because a business it the only one that is close to my location.

I have listed the dealers name and city so feel free to look him up. Give him a call and ask him about prices on some common new guns then report back.

I never said anything about his prices. He used to have a huge inventory (probably around a million dollers worth) I haven't been in their in years. He can set his prices any where he wants to, it is his business after all. Its also your money and you can spend it anywhere you want.
    I just say that if you go there and handle his inventory knowing you are going to buy somewhere else you are wasting his time. If it bothers you enough to complain about it on the internet why don't you just go to the store that you intend to buy from and not bother him. Sounds like both of you will be happier.
    If he treats you in a manner that bothers you and his prices so high why would you buy 20 guns from him? Just curious because you were saying his prices are high and then you quote some good deals.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    I just got back from a trip to Indy and we wnt into a restaurant and we ordered steak but got dog! they made me eat it then threw us out...sorry I can't tell you the name...just don't go there anymore.
    Wheew, glad I helped you guys out. NO no..don't rep me..come on stop now..

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    He still has a ridiculously huge inventory. If you haven't been there in years I can tell you that it has grown. There are several decent deals on his used items, it's his new items that are way overpriced. His selection of used and unique guns are one of the largest I have seen in a while. He still has one of the COP 357 Mag 4 barrel derringers last time I was in there.

As I stated before he is the only dealer (true dealer, not a rundown pawn shop) that is reasonably close for me. It is unreasonable for me to drive to Indy every time I want to look at a newly released product just to see if I like it. I wish I had the time to do that but I don't.

The thread started out talking about shops that have lost business due to bad policy. Ludco's is one that has lost most of my business due to store policy and general attitude. I used to shop there quite often but have noticed several things over the years that I do not care for and have stopped buying new items there. If he has something used that I can't live without for a good price then I will probably pick it up, however he is NEVER first on my list for a new product.

I'm not even saying that others shouldn't shop there. If you are in this area and you want something right away, don't care about price and don't want to wait until a gun show or drive farther to save a good chunk of change then he is a good choice. Overall he has a good selection without having to order it. His used selection is good with average prices on most and the occasional awesome deal on something he wants to get rid of. For some buyers this is enough. What I got tired of is when you call and ask a question or ask if he has a certain item in stock and get told "I'm not sure, just come in and look". When you get there the shop can be empty while he is browsing on yahoo. When you ask to look at something he huffs and grumbles the entire time because you pulled him away. If you want a certain brand of powder and primers and he is out then he will argue that a different brand is just as good and you should buy it instead. For awhile you weren't allowed to buy HP ammo without buying a new gun at the same time, then you were restricted to only one box. Once a friend and I were in the shop looking to get some 223 ammo for a class and to put away. He had 4 cases of it at a good price. We agreed to split it. I had left my phone on the charger in the car and wanted to check my bank balance. I went outside and called the automated system, when I came back in my friend came up to me and said "forget it, go look at the ammo". He had heard us talking about splitting the ammo and while I was outside he came around the counter and re-priced the ammo $25.00 more a case. That was the last time I was in the shop. I could list things like this all night. Like I said, many people may be able to overlook things like this, but I have 20 years worth of it on an off and have had enough. For those who are willing to put up with it then I'm sure you will be happy there, I just don't want to walk into a gunshop thinking "what's going to happen this time", I like to enjoy my trips.

:twocents:

Sorry for the rant, but I just want to be fully understood on this as I know there are some here that frequent this place of business.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    The supreme court has already vaguely ruled that your rights to a handgun aren't absolute. We have no idea what rules they will/won't support in the future. They basically made it clear in their Heller ruling that licensing and registration would be acceptable. So, when that day finally comes where you have to pay a yearly $20 licensing fee _per_ weapon, you will be the first one to report yourself and pay? It doesn't matter what you or I think of the 2nd Amendment, the :rules: the Constitution lays out makes it clear that if the US Supreme Court says it is legal, then it is legal. Sometimes the rules should be broken. Just because the Constitution at one time said black people are only 3/5ths a person doesn't mean it was righteous. If you want to support government subsidized businesses squeezing every last dime out of your local mom and pop business, by all means, report them constantly. Just don't complain when the only place you can get a cookie is Walmart, the only place you can find anything gun related is Walmart, etc. etc..
    I respectfully fail to see the relevancy of your reply. My contention is that if a merchant wants the privilege of voluntarily accepting an alternative form of payment from another private organization, they should abide by the already established and agreed to rules. When a merchant agrees to accept MC and/or Visa they agree among other things to:

• Accept the signed card without question (They can not ask for ID)
    • Not attach a surcharge
    • Not require a minimum purchase

These are the rules they agree to in order to accept MC and/or Visa. They do not have to accept these credit cards, but if they do they should abide by the rules they have agreed to.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I was unaware this was an illegal practice.I have seen several places online doing this.Is this something that has just changed? I bought a couple guns from Midwest and they charged me a surcharge for putting them on a credit card.Still was cheaper by far than buying locally for me so,I went ahead and done it.See it all the time on auction sites on the net too. Thanks for the heads up,I'll question it before bidding or making future purchases.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I respectfully fail to see the relevancy of your reply. My contention is that if a merchant wants the privilege of voluntarily accepting an alternative form of payment from another private organization, they should abide by the already established and agreed to rules.

Yes, and the Constitution is a document with rules on how our government works. It is simple, if there is a law passed, and the consitutionality is in question, the US Supreme Court makes a judgement on if the law is legal constitutional or not. If we are always about following the rules 100%, then if the US Supreme Court ever upholds a gun ban, we _must_ follow that judgement, reguardless on if you personally disagree or not. If one wants to blindly follow the rules, reguardless of what they say, you have to take the good with the bad. That is the point I am trying to make.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    I would also be interested in knowing what the name of this gun shop is. That way maybe others can chime in and we can see if this is a common occurrence.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I was unaware this was an illegal practice.I have seen several places online doing this.Is this something that has just changed? I bought a couple guns from Midwest and they charged me a surcharge for putting them on a credit card.Still was cheaper by far than buying locally for me so,I went ahead and done it.See it all the time on auction sites on the net too. Thanks for the heads up,I'll question it before bidding or making future purchases.

It is not illegal, it is against their agreement with the credit card companies.

I worked for a credit card processor in Michigan that fined places for charging extra for CC purchases. We are talking hundreds of dollars per verified complaint here.

As other posters have pointed out, you can technically give a discount for cash, but you cannot charge a fee or penalty to a customer for using a CC.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Has anyone asked about the name of the shop?
    I would like to know.
    I'll pass it along if I hear anyone else ask.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    All of my firearms purchases are in CASH, remember what they say, "Cash Talks and Bull**** walks..." I bet I get a better deal paying in cash that someone who uses a CC or even a check...

INGunGuy

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana

No, the have signage stating that "all prices reflect a 3% cash discount". You miss them, just like my earlier post in this thread.

fingers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    wabash county
    I dont agree with an extra charge for using a cc. Trust me their making good money with out doing that. I had one gun shop show me his catalog he ordered from the mark up is more than you think. he sold me a gun for $200 less than any gun shop.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I went back to Midwest and confirmed today. Signage there specifically says 3% extra for credit cards. It does not say cash discount, etc..... :dunno: I have no problems with it personally and won't rat them out to any card companies. Best prices in the state, even with 3% on top. Beats BassPro/Cabela's/Dicks/Gander every time on anything but ammo (can't overcome bulk buying like the big box guys I'm guessing). They've negotiated prices with me before. I bet if you asked you probably could negotiate off the 3%....

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yup, cannot charge percentage or CC purchases, or at least be dumb enough to put a sign up saying that you are. Also cannot establish a minimum sale amount either. Just call your CC company and tell them.

If he is paying 3% he is a poor business man. I have wireless mobile processing and pay about 1.25 percent, less on debit cards. That is why all retailers prefer you use debit. Bigger retailers percentage is much less than mine I'm sure. Based on amount of sales, and so on.

Top Bottom