• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Hey guys, I just got back on here. I am sorry for the delay and definitely didn't want to offend any members on here. I believe we have a great bunch of guys and I have made alot of friends here. The shop is in Rensselaer, those of you who have been there know where it's at. For those who havn't you can easily find it. The reason for the hesitancy is I have been in the publishing business and I just try to be careful on listing names. I hope everyone understands and again the last thing I want to do is upset my fello INGO friends. Thanks for understanding........

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    To All,

It is very EASY to get the X% back from anyone who overcharges you! Simply call your credit card customer service # that is on the back of your CC and rant away.

They will reverse the charges and probably send the merchant a nastygram letting them know this is unacceptable.

Also, every time someone initiates a 'chargeback' the merchant is charge a $20 fee to handle the complaint. Doesn't matter if they win the dispute, they don't get that back. Kind of sucks on a $10 purchase.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Also, every time someone initiates a 'chargeback' the merchant is charge a $20 fee to handle the complaint. Doesn't matter if they win the dispute, they don't get that back. Kind of sucks on a $10 purchase.

Mrw,

I did not know this. Thank you for sharing!

Please do not misunderstand me in any way. I know how hard it can be to own your own business and get nickled & dimed on a variety of fronts.

The fact is, however, that if you enter into a contract you have certain rules to play by, and with businesses that take credit cards one (1) rule is that you cannot charge any extra amount for taking the card.

I once saw a gas station down in Berne (I think) that had a very nice little note requesting that any charge under $5 please use cash. I thought, "Great for them! They understand the rules and are following them!"

This is how good business people succeed and poor business people fail. The good ones look at everything before they get into something and the poor ones simply gripe about how bad they have it.

It is really, really easy for businesses to avoid the cost of credit cards: Do not take them! But IF you do, follow the contract that you signed!

Regards,

Doug

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I knew that was where it was. I have been in there twice and seen it happen first hand. It is not pretty. The heck of it is, the prices are very hard to beat on most things.
    I was just in there today. There is a sign saying 3% for cc users behind the counter. Wrote right on the visa sign!! Sorry that happened to you.:cool:

jjlaughner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I believe there is a law in the Fair Credit Act that 'Cash Discounts' not given to CC customers are illegal. Couple weeks ago trying to buy a new bed and bedroom suit, every place we went said they could no longer do the 'Cash Discounts'. :dunno:

My 'itch with that is people that use CC or Debit cards get cash back and bonus points... but I'm standing there with $5K in cash I don't get any (lets call them) "Rebates"... :bs:

Up side to all that is, Select Comfort (the sleep number beds) through May I think, are giving Nurses and some other occupations a 35% discount... We went up a couple models and a lower price than their 'Sale price'. :rockwoot:

SORRY:hijack:

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I keep buying my guns for cash from fellow INGOers, usually in a parking lot off of the highway. Low overhead, no tax and no 3%. Also, no paperwork.

M9Hoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    NWI
    Hey guys, I just got back on here. I am sorry for the delay and definitely didn't want to offend any members on here. I believe we have a great bunch of guys and I have made alot of friends here. The shop is in Rensselaer, those of you who have been there know where it's at. For those who havn't you can easily find it. The reason for the hesitancy is I have been in the publishing business and I just try to be careful on listing names. I hope everyone understands and again the last thing I want to do is upset my fello INGO friends. Thanks for understanding........

The only shop that I know of in Rensselaer is Jerry's Gun Shop...He is a grumpy old man anyway but I go there just because his prices are great compared to the other shops in NWI!

JusAdSumBellum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Central IN
    There is a local gas station that used to be owned by this crotchety old fart. He would always add the 3% on store purchases and it never really bothered me. One day I had to pay the 3% and hear him whine about having to do the math. So the next day I pulled up to the pump and added two cents of gas ( I couldn't cycle the trigger any faster) then went inside and bought my usual "going to work" supplies. When he went to add the 3% I said "Oh I have some gas also" the look on his face was priceless. He knew that he couldn't add the 3% becuase he would then be overcharging for gas. Since the gas price is fixed by the display on the pump, this is a huge no no. I did that for five more years before we finally moved.

:laugh: haha! what a crazy way to get your kicks. You need an xbox or a gun or something.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    The only shop that I know of in Rensselaer is Jerry's Gun Shop...He is a grumpy old man anyway but I go there just because his prices are great compared to the other shops in NWI!

Hmmmm, we drive up there, I'll just have to catch him when he's open. I'm sure he won't be PSS.:yesway:

dr632

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Brown County
    I'm reading a few key points in this thread.

(1) Principle. A merchant enters an agreement with a credit card agency, then doesn't comply with the agreement. Makes me wonder what other agreements this person/store does not honor, e.g., if there is a problem with the merchandise and repairs or a return is needed? Seems one should politely move onto a merchant of higher integrity.

(2) 3% Surcharge vs. Cash Discount. If a buyer is ok with #1 above, then the cc surcharge vs. cash discount is not the issue ... what is your bottom line all-in cost is the only thing that counts, if one doesn't care about the integrity principle.

(3) I have not read anyone addressing the trustworthiness and confidence of the merchant. I highly value a person/merchant that does not discuss, with anyone, details of my purchases with others. I can only infer this as he does not discuss purchases of others with me or when I'm in his shop hanging out. I would not casual conversation to fall on the wrong ears and then all of a sudden there are uninvited guests poking around my residence when I'm not around.

Top Bottom