• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I went to a local shop today needing some scope rings. I had previously went to an estate auction and depleted my funds so all I had was my credit card. I went to the counter to pay and the guy says "Don't you have any cash" I said no, the bank had closed. He then proceeds to say "You know, for every cc transaction I do it costs me 3%" I was polite but was thinking "I really don't care, just add the stupid 3% (a whole 38 cents) and I will be on my way" All this time the guy was acting like this was a huge ordeal. Then another smart a$$ customer said "You need to add that onto his bill" like it was any of his business anyway. I have been to this shop many times and bought alot of stuff from this guy. I have even sent other people there who have spent alot of money there as well. Now, I knew Wally World sold these rings and even a little cheaper but I like to give my business to the small business owner. After this though, I won't go there again. It may sound petty about a $10 transaction but in my opinion $10 is no different than $1000. That would be like a person coming into my business and wanting a small item and me saying "Thats not even worth me turning my computer on" $1 or $1000, it's all money in the bank. Sorry about the long rant but I had to get this off my chest!:xmad:
    Did you buy the rings there?

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Judging from your local-I think I know who it is, and I have seen that same thing myself in there. He does carry on. There is a sign posted 3% extra for cc, not discount for cash.The prices are hard to beat, but he is a :poop: head for sure.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

It is very EASY to get the X% back from anyone who overcharges you! Simply call your credit card customer service # that is on the back of your CC and rant away.

They will reverse the charges and probably send the merchant a nastygram letting them know this is unacceptable.

On a side note I have to wonder why gunstore dealers tend to have lousy customer service skills? Tell me the last time you saw a X% discount for cash in any major store? Nowhere! Walgreens, CVS, NAPA, etc etc etc. These stores simply factor the costs in as a variable cost and move on.

I've always thought that if I ever opened a gunstore I would want to make it as easy as possible for you to pay. Smooth, painless, and efficient. You should be happy to pay in any way that you want to for whatever it is you want to buy. Cash, CC, personal check, inlaws, whatever... Why gun dealers are sssoooo reluctant to work with this is beyond me.

I'll bet that some of them will load up their goods to take to a gunshow and only think about the price of the table they have to rent, without considering the following:

#1) Gas to and from the event;
    #2) Time loading and unloading the vehicle;
    #3) wear and tear on the vehicle;
    #4) cost of eating out (if they don't bring their own food);
    #5) cost of motel (if far enough);
    #6) cost of LOST BUSINESS that could have been there had they just kept the shop open (presuming it is closed for the gun show, and even if not merchandise is unavailable for shop customers);

I could probably think of some more costs.

Please do tell us the name of this store that is incapable of letting you leave with a smile on your face.

Regards,

Doug

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I don't know which shop the OP is talking about but I do know for a fact that Ludco's in Parker City in Randolph County charges 3% for CC or Debit transactions. He does not say 3% discount for cash, he says add 3% for CC.

I have always hated the way small businesses have screwed people in this way so I make it a point to either not buy from them or if I must then I always comment to them how it isn't fair. Here in Randolph County there aren't many other shops besides Ludco's anymore. He has a huge selection but is a real PITA most of the time, unless you are a good-ol-boy that he has known for decades. I've bought over 20 guns from him over the years because he had what I wanted at the time and I still get treated like I am wasting his time when I ask to look at something or call with a question. I mainly go there to look at new products then buy them at the gun shows or a different dealer after I have decided. I don't know if his policy has changed, it has been many years since I asked. He used to charge different amounts for a transfer fee based on what it was you wanted to transfer. If it was a gun he had in stock or was willing to order then he wouldn't transfer it at all. Just lovely to do business with. :twocents:

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    I know Wanamaker does that. I purchased a used 686 from them and they pulled it. It was still worth it, but I was a little irked.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Also with Visa and Mastercard a merchant can not ask for ID if the card is signed. There was an establishment in Indy that was taking down driver's license information for MC or Visa purchases. A nice note to MC took care of that problem.

eta: This is not the case with Discover Card.

Last edited:

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    Also with Visa and Mastercard a merchant can not ask for ID if the card is signed. There was an establishment in Indy that was taking down driver's license information for MC or Visa purchases. A nice note to MC took care of that problem.

My store (my whole company as far as I know) doesn't even ASK for ID unless the customer looks "shady." In going on 4 yrs, I can't remember ever asking for an ID........and never had anyone get huffy that I didn't. A couple years ago we had to change the way we did returns so that when someone does return on a credit card, we no longer get their address/phone number/signature. Only on cash/check/store credit returns do we get that info now. IF we do ask for ID, it's just to check names, we do require ID for checks but we've had issue's with bogus checks.

Far as the 3% on CC, I have a PayPal for ebay and stuff like that, I cover the fee to let people pay me via CC, I don't add to the price of the item... that's my decision, to increase my odds of getting someone's business by accepting an alternative form of payment, why am I going to saddle THEM with MY responsibility?? Just my :twocents:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Far as the 3% on CC, I have a PayPal for ebay and stuff like that, I cover the fee to let people pay me via CC, I don't add to the price of the item... that's my decision, to increase my odds of getting someone's business by accepting an alternative form of payment, why am I going to saddle THEM with MY responsibility?? Just my :twocents:

Depends on whether you're a business or an individual. As a business I can't charge extra for accepting a CC. As an individual I can do whatever I want regarding paypal. I'm perfectly happy accepting a personal check as long as the buyer is willing to wait for it to clear. If they aren't then they can send a money order, which typically has a much lower fee for purchases over a hundred bucks than the 3% paypal charges. If the purchase is small ($5-50) I'll probably eat the paypal fee, if larger, I'll ask them to cover it. Their choice.

cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    We have a local gun store in Pulaski County?!:dunno:

Give us a clue... is the place bigger than a breadbox?

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    Depends on whether you're a business or an individual. As a business I can't charge extra for accepting a CC. As an individual I can do whatever I want regarding paypal. I'm perfectly happy accepting a personal check as long as the buyer is willing to wait for it to clear. If they aren't then they can send a money order, which typically has a much lower fee for purchases over a hundred bucks than the 3% paypal charges. If the purchase is small ($5-50) I'll probably eat the paypal fee, if larger, I'll ask them to cover it. Their choice.

I just cover it myself...it doesn't happen that often and I didn't HAVE to sign up to accept CC's....but I feel being able to accept them might make the difference over selling something so I'll take the hit..it's a nominal fee IMHO.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I think it is more toward Rensselaer. At least that is where I was a couple of times when that occured. Not far from Pulaski county. Honestly-When I saw it , it was very uncomfortable to watch. I would have left my purchase on the counter.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I've bought over 20 guns from him over the years because he had what I wanted at the time and I still get treated like I am wasting his time when I ask to look at something or call with a question.

I mainly go there to look at new products then buy them at the gun shows or a different dealer after I have decided. :twocents:

Wonder why he would think you are wasting his time:dunno:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I now...I feel the same when I see people selling in a forum and wanting that 3% extra for taking paypal but don't give a discount to pay for the money order you have to buy because they won't take a check.

Technically if they charge 3% they are still eating 30 cents. Paypal charges 30 cents plus 3% per transaction.

As to checks, not sure if you've ever gotten a bum check, but it costs the person who deposits it a few as well.

I hate paypal and do everything I can to avoid it, that said, I always give the convenience option to people of paying me with paypal if they add 3%. Getting to the store for a MO can be a pain (although virtually every grocery store charges less that a dollar for a MO nowadays and their is one on every corner) and some people don't send cash thru the mail.

Don't like the terms of business, don't buy.

Why get upset over something that is stated up front? :dunno:

As to business owners complaining... they set it up that way, why complain over their own rules? :dunno:

Some people have nothing better to do than complain.

Top Bottom