• ...and so much more!
  • The Ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Hello all!

Recently moved back to Indianapolis after a prolonged cross-country work adventure and now finally getting settled. Left a couple of larger furniture pieces including the gun safe with family up in NWI while we were hopping around in apartments and now the time has finally come to reunite guns and safe. Any recommendations for who would move a 700lb gun safe down from NWI to NE Indy and deliver down 1 flight of stairs into a basement, preferably taking 2 other pieces of furniture along for the ride? Tried the search function but seems most recommendations are either only moving new safes or no longer responding to messages.

Thanks!

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The store I worked at sold a ton (literally huge too) safes and used a wrecker service however that was local buyers.

What my Wife and I did when we moved was used a U-Haul but laid a group (you can get a list through U-Haul) of folks that loaded the truck and another group at your destination can unload. IF you don’t like strangers knowing a safe is there then I suggest treat family and friends yoh trust to a meal and they can help load/unload the safe

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    Uhaul and a refrigerator dolly as long as it doesn't weigh more than 1,000 pounds.

I was able to slide one into an SUV laying down. Then I slide it out, tipped it upright onto a furniture dolly to roll it around, but that can't handle the stairs like the refrigerator dolly can. I also use them for fully loaded file cabinets without emptying them.

Vimace

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2023
    Indianapolis
    The store I worked at sold a ton (literally huge too) safes and used a wrecker service however that was local buyers.

What my Wife and I did when we moved was used a U-Haul but laid a group (you can get a list through U-Haul) of folks that loaded the truck and another group at your destination can unload. IF you don’t like strangers knowing a safe is there then I suggest treat family and friends yoh trust to a meal and they can help load/unload the safe
    THIS....

Marketplace/craigslist are your best bet... post an ad where you are looking for 2-3 guys to move/load your belongings into a truck/trailer/flat bed. Hours/time the job is gonna take and compensation you're willing to pay.

Be specific on time, day, city and closest intersections/crossroads for both locations (2 different ads) and the conditions of the job requires ( first floor, second floor, stairs... etc)

I used to do logistics for a Moving company, back in the days, and this is what I used to do for our Semi drivers across the country. You'll be surprised on how may people would contact you.... yes use a phone number for faster communication.

Good luck !

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

I would rather get friends to help than lay a bunch of strangers.

Were you folks sore and tired afterwards?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Heres some advice from a guy who built people elevators and escalators for 25 yrs. If you dont know what the **** you are doing with moving heavy equipment, leave it to a professional...

Its all good until it tumbles down the stairs, and crushes two men who were stupid and were in front of the safe. The right people have the right equipment.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    While I have not used them, I got a quote from Hoosier Gun Safe Movers. I'm needing to move my safe about a block and a half down the street and up 3 steps onto the porch to get it inside the new home. They quoted me $450 for that. I reached out to a local moving company and they quoted me $500 for the same service. A rental truck with a gate lift would work wonderfully if I can find one

Eric66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2024
    West Lafayette
    If you have friends and family help, strangers won't know it exists. If you want to hire someone, try Mayflower or another professional moving company. They are licensed, bonded, insured and some even do background checks on their employees.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    #1 - the first rule of fight club...

I've heard others mention spreading out your lock boxes in concealed places. Not all the eggs in one big stupidly obvious basket. Just sayin'...

If I had a big safe to move, I'd sell it to someone who would pay a pro to move it to them. Then not make that mistake again.

:twocents:

Top Bottom