• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I for one quit smoking... that saved me close to $300 a month. :yesway: Also was fortunate enough to get a good education and a decent paying job (took me until I was 35, but better late than never!). :dunno: Still can't afford as many as I'd like! :):

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    You need three things:

1) Good Job - pay your bill first.

2) Financial Discipline - pay your bills first then save for guns.

3) Understanding Wife - not required if single, but if married this might be #1.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Shooting is my primary hobby and I don't smoke, drink, or have kids. I own my own place and don't have a mortgage and live pretty frugally otherwise.

I budget a couple hundred a month for shooting and when I get the occasional windfall bit of income some of it goes to be put into my gun account so when I want something I can buy it. Since I reload, I usually shoot a hundred to a hundred-fifty bucks of my $200 a month budget so the purchase fund accumulates.

A long time ago I decided that rather than simply owning a lot of guns I never shot, I was going to own higher quality equipment that I shot more, so now pretty much any time I sell a gun it's to upgrade, and I don't keep guns I don't like or shoot unless it has sentimental value.

FWIW, my net income is less than $30k annually. Sometimes much less.

Last edited:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I try and save about $50 each week for whatever firearms related item I'm interested in. I also get a very small amount of extra income from the family farm that I can play with, plus in the summer, I have a little bit of side work I can do in the evenings or weekend if I want some extra cash.

I wish I could say that I was knocking down over six figures in salary, but for me, it boils down to saving and working a little extra to support my hobby. . .also being single with no children helps.

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    I am a grad student. A couple years ago I sold all my guns and got into pinball. I was smart about what I got and am now cutting back from 5 to 2 machines. All of that money is being put back into guns.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My first priority is my son and making sure all my bills are paid. After that shotting is my main hobby and that is what I enjoy spending my money on. I by no means make a lot of money, but guns are what I choose to spend my fun money on. I just try to set back some cash every paycheck and save up for what I want.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I see a lot of great guns being purchased, ordered, whatever. I was just wondering how you guys manage to afford all these guns. Some people have cabnets full. Jesus!

How many guns do you have and how did you obtain yours?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    How many guns do you have and how did you obtain yours?

I don't buy guns anymore. I trade/sell for items I want. I occasionally have to come out of pocket, but not often. If you buy quality, there will always be someone willing to buy or trade for it.

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    I think it all comes down to finical discipline. You get a good job and pay your bill it is shocking how far you money can go. I don't live in a McMansion. I don't drive an $70K sports car. You have to set priorities in life. If you want the big house and fancy car than you have to trade something for it.....

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Maybe you are just looking at the end result. I've been buying guns since I was 18 yo; that is a lot of years. :D

this. my father bought me a gun but i paid for one with my own money when i was 10. one benifit of living in a farm comunity is if your willing to work doing jobs that most people would not you can find work at 9-10 years old. i bought 2 guns that summer, a 20ga 870 and a 223 bolt action. then every year i would buy atleast 2 guns a summer. when your 10 you dont have any bills so your whole paycheck goes to toys. when i graduated hughschool i had close to 30 guns. now i have alot less guns but they are much better quality. i still have that 20ga 870, and i had to get rid of the 223 because the barrel was way past burnt out. when i first started shooting as a incentive my father said he would always buy me all the ammo i would shoot. around 14 he had to back off of that becasue i shot a little more than he had inmind.

even today its more about budgeting and priorities than the money you make. my income is considered poverty level by most folks but i dont live a extravigant lifestyle. i dont have a new car every year (actually my wife and i share a vehicle) whe dont live in a 200,000 dollar house. i dont have the latest and greatest internet phone, etc.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Many of these collections have been acquired over many years, don't expect to have an armory in a year.

They are a fun and relatively stable form of investment, a $300 (well cared for) gun today will be worth more in 5 years than $300 in cash will (unless something strange happens).

Guns are also very liquid, you can turn them back into money in a very short time if needed.

Get out of debt.
    Live on less than you earn, make a budget & stick with it.
    Buy real estate, rent will always go up, a fixed mortgage will only go up according to taxes & insurance.

I have counseled many folks over the years, many of which hadn't realized how much money they were blowing each month with nothing to show for it, eating out, entertainment, etc.

Best wishes.

Last edited:

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Like others have said, you need a steady flow of income. Only one time in my life did I ever sell any guns because I felt that I had to have the money. Set your priorities, know that you may have to sell your guns someday, but you should always keep at least one. My wife is very understanding about my gun related purchases and has actually encouraged me to buy at times when I was on the fence. If you are married, and you come in to a large amount of money, [Tax return, inheritence, etc.], be sure to buy your wife something she wants, it will make your future purchases a lot easier. If none of the advice works that you read here, do what I see a lot of wanna-be gun dealers do, buy for half of what it is worth and sell for twice what it is worth.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I get $100/Month for my pocket... I Stick to an envelope budget for everything other than gas for our cars. This has helped greatly. We found out that we were eating out and entertaining our selves with waaay too much money. now we are saving quite a bit more. I buy about 1 gun a year with money that I earn on the side or by trades or sales I make. We do a whole house clean out every couple of years and sell off things that we do not need or use any more. We have a tiny home so we really need to do this to live in a clutter free home. usually brings in about $1000 through Ebay or garage sales...

Top Bottom